Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 6x7m shed! I need a new name...

Default Advice needed on changing shed layout

Hi everyone,

From next Friday I will be removing EVERYTHING from the shed to seal and paint the floor, and will use the task of putting everything back in as an opportunity to tidy up and get things organised.

I've attached a rough diagram of the existing layout (drawn from Grizzly.com® -- Workshop Planner). Its served me pretty well, except that the shed is AN ABSOLUTE MESS at the moment from not having time to spend in it for the past 12 months.

Points about the current layout:

• Shed is 6m wide, 7m long.
    • The main 'cramped area' is in front of the left door, where the jointer, Triton table, bandsaw are.
    • The fireplace is fixed - cannot be moved.
    • The large workbench will be removed as it is falling apart, and will be rebuilt. The right side of it will be rebuilt where it is (under the window), not sure if I will continue having the 'top' workbench (the side the grinder and sander are on), as maybe more storage would be better there.
    • Currently timber boards are spread everywhere. These will be moved outside under a 'lean to' next to the shed.

My only other requirement (and its optional) would be to allow a box trailer to sit in the left side when I'm not in the shed.

So..... can of worms maybe........ but what are people's thoughts on changing/improving this layout?
    Shed layout 4.jpg
    Thanks a lot in advance!

Nathan.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Nice Nathan 12 mths away from WW and your like a kid in a toy(tool) store I gather you have missed it. A great way to get struck by the bug again a major clean up wish I could just pop down and lend a hand get you going quicker.

Personally I'd try get the dusty outside and the trailer under that lean too with a shed around the dusty to reduce neihbours hearing noise.
    Pipe and hose/s to machines will also give you more room.

Cupboard near the wood fire depending on what your storing in it.

Rafters with a little extra strengthening will take the long stuff.

Wheels on all machines IF the trailer must go in the shed.

Watching now.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Nice Nathan 12 mths away from WW and your like a kid in a toy(tool) store I gather you have missed it. A great way to get struck by the bug again a major clean up wish I could just pop down and lend a hand get you going quicker.

Personally I'd try get the dusty outside and the trailer under that lean too with a shed around the dusty to reduce neihbours hearing noise.
    Pipe and hose/s to machines will also give you more room.

Cupboard near the wood fire depending on what your storing in it.

Rafters with a little extra strengthening will take the long stuff.

Wheels on all machines IF the trailer must go in the shed.

Watching now.
    Hi Ray,

Yep, been out of the shed for waaaaay too long!

Long term I'd like to get the dusty outside in its own enclosure. I think I will do that when/if I get a more powerful dusty. At the moment I'm ok flicking it between machines.

I could also store the trailer somewhere else once I've moved some other things around the back yard. Still, some day I will need room for a 1960's Mini Cooper restoration... although it will be easier to build another shed!

The wood fire is enclosed, although I still acknowledge its risks and dangers. I leave a big gap between it and everything around it, and have fire extinguishers in the shed. Flammable liquids are down the other end of the shed, and I don't let any sawdust gather around it.

I'll take some pics as I go along.

Nathan.

Now I am really interested Mini Cooper tell us more

Wheels. Lots and lots of wheels. Under everything. Carbatec has quite good prices for their 60kg castors which lock positively both for spin and roll ( they have dropped $7 to $13 since I started buying them, much cheaper & better than Bunnies). Tool cabinets, clamp racks, plywood racks (6 casters, DAMHIK) - everything, one way or the other. Even the workbench can have castors on a hinged plate - see Chris Schwarz blog at Pop Wood for 2011(?) or there abouts on which way round to hinge the board.

If you don't need a solid lockup or weight bearing then Ikea have 3" castors at some stores that work well (ie I haven't broken them) - but you might have to special order them, for instance Rhodes stopped stocking them but Tempe has them. Around $15 for 2 in a bag last time I saw them.

Quote Originally Posted by bsrlee View Post
    Wheels. Lots and lots of wheels. Under everything. . . . .
    In some cases a cheaper alternative to wheels (the cost does add up) is high density polyethylene skid plates. I use these on machines and benches that I don't move around much. However when I do need to move them they move easily without marking the floor and they normally don't need any locking mechanism to hold them stationary.

I wont comment on layout but will add a vote for wheels on the machines.
    Regards
    John

Thanks to everyone so far.

I've ditched the trailer from the shed, so that will make it easier.

I'll definitely put as much as I can on wheels. I've always thought about it but have wondered what they dor for stability. Ie: would the long bed 6" jointer and the 13" thicknesses be stable enough on wheels while long boards passed over them? I've seen the machine stands with wheels from Carbatec. What are people's views with these? Or would I be better getting some castors and making my own stands from thick board?

i just can't think of too many ways to layout the shed. I like the lathe where it is. The drill and toolbox seem handy just inside the door. And all of the 'cutting down' machines are near each other.

Clean out starts tomorrow with an acid wash, with the Bondall Concrete Garage and Factory Floor Protector hopefully going down on Sunday once the floor dries.

Nathan.

P.S. Ray, the Mini restoration is a project for some stage in the future (ie: when I find an old Mini and have two rare things called time and money!). Just a weekend driver. Keep it relatively standard - Cooper S spec gearbox and brakes, a mate had the A Series engine bored out to 1425 with a lumpy cam, and boy was it fun! Oh, and electronic ignition. From my auto electrical days I've learnt how reliable original Lucas electrics are.

Nathan the lockable trolly base I have from H&F are under the Bassato BS and I can wheel it about no problem lock and unlock them stable as. Whhels is good even if I wasn't using the ones I have to.

I think with the planner you will require an outrigger situation for sure for stability BUT call in and chat to Richmond just up the far end of Victoria Rd Smithfield. They have ones which will allow you to raise it to move and drop down when in use similar to the H&F but without the frame.

An old mate has 3 mini's Cooper S $60k, Clubman $35k standard $30k 1 65 MkIII Jag $65K and Triumph Stag still restoring the minis he has since new all now restored Jag 2nd hand to him recently restored.

I sold my min PV for $150 back in 79 was a resto project, damn Keating's 18% interest rates.

Well, its started.

Took nearly two days to move everything out of shed..... I had forgotten about much of the tools and timber I have acquired during my exodus from the shed over the past 12 months. Can't wait for it to be reorganised so I can use them!

The first two pics are the before pics. I'd actually moved a lot of timber and stuff already - you can see the empty shelves and the clean spots on the floor - there wasn't much room at all to move around!

Swept, swept, swept, blew (sorry neighbours), then acid washed the floor on Thursday. Let it dry (easily) in this heat, then put down two coats of "Bondall Garage and Factory Floor Protector" today (3rd pic). I'll wait and see how it looks tomorrow before deciding if it needs a 3rd coat (I may as well, while everything is out).

Next come the hard bits, cleaning everything and putting it back in the shed in an organised fashion!

Can't wait till its done though! SHED TIME!

Nathan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (241.9 KB, 122 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (204.2 KB, 125 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (138.0 KB, 144 views)

The empty, clean shed looks huge.

It is amazing how quickly it gets cramped once you put a few machines in it and bring in a few pieces of timber for projects.

My shed is a similar size and I have the same problems. I don't have a lathe fortunately! But I do have a larger tablesaw and workbench in the middle of the floor.

I am sure you have a good reason for having the lathe in the middle of the floor but could you place it against a wall. Maybe where your tall drill press is?

Could you line the walls with 1/2" plywood? You could add a lot more storage cupboards and hanging space that would free up some floor space.
    You have plenty of room for storage drawers and/or shelves under the side work benches. You could use then to store power tool boxes and some hand tools.
    Racks and cupboards on the walls are handy for the hand tools, marking tools things that you use regularly.

I have lots of machines on wheels but not the 8" jointer. The Jet 15" thicknesser has wheels that retract with a foot lever. I force heavy boards through the thicknesser and I don't think basic wheels would be stable enough.
    The locking wheels work well on my 16" bandsaw and my sanding thicknesser.

I hate tripping over power cords and dust extractor hoses and would love to get them all off the floor. I have bought several pendant power points that hang from the roof/ceiling. The temporary, hanging extension cords are very handy. I have them above my work bench. They might suit you for above the saw and router tables, jointer and thicknesser.

Have fun refilling the shed but maybe give it a few days until the warm weather passes.
    Scally

Nathan,
    If you need a hand moving all your tools back in the shed i'd be glad to help, just let me know.

Andy

Nathan I am disappointed you left the shed in that state for 12mths no attempt to clean it........BUT it has brought you new meaning I see.

I agree line the inside CD Ply or MDF/Melamine either way it will sound proof and keep it warmer/cooler maybe even a bit of insulation first. Paint it white seeing Pat's its like being in a snow blizzard unless he's turning burls then its just a desert storm LOL.

You have seen my shelves from Delta Shelving 400mm deep and can be designed to suit your needs. Not that exy either.

Not sure if you have seen the new set up Pat and Fletty built for me around and above the Nova lathe feel free to call in.

Again now that floor is painted wheels on everything it'll last longer. It will also allow greater floor space if required.

Somewhere back years ago a link was put up where a fellow had everything on wheels and could create a bench out of 4 or 6 pieces.

If your keeping the Triton gear there was another plan for a combined unit all again on wheels.

Thanks Scally and Wheelin,

I'm now looking at plywood to line the walls with, also with some insulation behind them (and paint them white, should reflect the light pretty well!). I'll see if I can get some at a good price tomorrow. Otherwise, I'll just get enough now to put up in what will become the hard to reach places (need to leave some money for shelving).

I'll look at placing the lathe against a wall, I think it will allow a lot better use of the shed's main space.

Andy, thanks for the offer of help. Although I think moving stuff back in will be done over a few days (clean stuff, move it, move it again, etc).

Nathan.

Hello Nathan,

Nice looking shed there,should be fun when finished.

Just a thought regarding an alternative lining for your shed, I was going to use plywood as well and then paint the walls white or paint and then install the sheets... probably easier however I decided to try something different.

I used sheets of colourbond in white, or whatever the colourbond colour for white was... stood on end the effect was quite hard wearing and at 23$ a sheet (2.4m H) that fit exactly to my shed height the walls went up very quickly and no problems with white ants or any issues with sparks. I used a roll of insulation between the wall and the sheeting which helped the noise and temperature.

Just my 2C

Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast