Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Timber Rack

Default Timber Rack

Finally got around to making timber storage rack in the shed. It is greatly inspired by earlier posts by alexg (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f40/mo...75/#post157086) and Rocker (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f14/st...605/#post39781), as well as by woodwhisperer's video (How to Build a Lumber Rack | The Wood Whisperer). In my case I didn't want it mobile as alexg has, and I couldn't hang it of the wall either as it is done by Mark the Woodwhisperer. So I made it standing near the wall, with the compartment for various sheets closer to the wall. It is made of 90x45 structural pine with 19mm plywood for enforcing the shelves, the overall length is about 3.6m with 80cm between stands. It really helped me to clean up the workshop! Here are the photos before it was filled
    Rack_1.jpgRack_2.jpg.
    I am not sure how much weight it can hold, but feels REALLY sturdy - shouldn't be a problem to completely fill it with hardwood.

Here is the original bit - triangular offcuts of the plywood naturally formed interesting pattern on the floor, so I glued them up to make a door mat and put it at the entrance to the shed. Here it is:
    Door_Mat.jpg

So if you find that you are getting wood lying around various parts of your workshop obstructing the way - timber rack is a great solution for freeing up amazing amount of space, and unexpectedly your shed will become much more spacious!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Good idea to make it free standing if you could not attached it to the wall. As you said it looks very solid.

It is still attached to the wall by several screws, which do not carry any load. Most stress is on the lower horizontal bars, which I enforced by steel angles with 30cm long arms.