Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Bandsaws

Default Bandsaws

Can any one give me some advice on what make and modle of band saw I should purchase? I'm new at the woodworking game but I have read too many times that if you are going to have a power tool it should be a bandsaw.
    Regards
    jeffm

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Jeff,

There is no doubt that a bandsaw is a great tool and has earned its place on the workshop 'first buys' list. But ......

The most important thing that determins what you need, and then, which one you need is the intended use. What type of woodwork will you be doing, how serious are you, will you be using panels, DAR stock, or dementioning your own stock. Then of course is your budget.

So the question for you is - what do you want a bandsaw for?
    answer that and people will be better able to advise you.
    Great minds discuss ideas,
    average minds discuss events,
    small minds discuss people

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffm
    Can any one give me some advice on what make and modle of band saw I should purchase? I'm new at the woodworking game but I have read too many times that if you are going to have a power tool it should be a bandsaw.
    Regards
    jeffm
    Welcome to the madhouse mate. A suggestion given to newcomers, when they first join and ask a question similar to yours, is do a search.
    So if you click on the "SEARCH" button and type in "Bandsaw" you will get several hours of posts regarding this subject. Then when you are thoroughly confused, come on again with your questions.

ps. hey fellas, I must be in a helluva good mood, I didn't take his ears off at the neck.

Default Bandsaws

Dave/Termite
    I want to be able to cut accurately, ie, tennons, mitres. I've been on the intrenet the last few days and there are so many that it becomes confusing, I'm prepared to pay $700-$800.
    Regards
    jeffm

Have a look at the BP-16A from Hare and Forbes. Thats what I would be buying, do a search for that model. $789 in there cattledog.

Daniel
    My advice is rarely any good, but is free to use at your own risk.

Default Bandsaws

Thanks F.G. I'll do just that.
    Regards
    jeffm

Do a search here on BP-16a. A few of us have them and few complaints.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Yep I'm with Silent. I've got a BP16A as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffm
    Dave/Termite
    I want to be able to cut accurately, ie, tennons, mitres. I've been on the intrenet the last few days and there are so many that it becomes confusing, I'm prepared to pay $700-$800.
    Regards
    jeffm
    Jeff
    There are better tools for these opperations, Slide compound miter saw, table saw, router and 'rocker' jig etc.
    The bandsaw will also do them.
    For me the main reason for getting a bandsaw would be for curved cuts that would kill a jigsaw, and for cutting very thick stock 4+ inches. Otherwise there are better tools for the jobs.
    Great minds discuss ideas,
    average minds discuss events,
    small minds discuss people

Jeff

What Dave in OZ said is what I would also commend, the bandsaw does many things but constantly needs tuning up, but comes into its own if needing to saw anything over 80mm deep (at that price) and can cope with other needs but time consuming to set up for accuracy.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Like I tell everyone if you want to start woodworking the first thing you buy is 3 Phase power if you have it so many more options in all machinery will be available.
    Buying a bandsaw? Buy Big Buy Old and Buy Heavy lots of cast iron. I managed to fing a good 18" heavily built 3 phase saw for $700 in good working order.

What are bandsaws good for? Ripping timber of any thickness with the right blade will rip twice as fast as a table saw.
    No kickback! Cuts curves and allows you to cut up rough, cupped, curved timber safely
    They are safer quieter and less messy than a table saw and waste less wood However they are crap for accurate crosscutting
    If I had to have one or the other it would be a bandsaw then a Radial arm Saw.

Ross
    Ross
    "All government in essence," says Emerson, "is tyranny." It matters not whether it is government by divine right or majority rule. In every instance its aim is the absolute subordination of the individual.