Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Talking Triton Powered Respirator

Now's the time!
    Patience rewarded! Bought a Triton Powered respirator today from Bunnings for $222.75 without a quibble by showing them the current Timbecom price of $247.50
    Before they shut the gate hop in quick!
    Barry

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

That's brilliant. I got more than that for mine second hand on ebay. I feel sorry for Timbecon and others that do this though. They offer a really good price and we use Bunnings to get it even less. That is exactly what Bunnings want us to do so that in the end, the others won't even bother and Bunnings have it all to themselves. Then let's see if it's sold for that price ! I think not.

Rave mode off.......I know, we've done this to death before.......
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Dont jump on me, but weighing up the quality of other Triton products (Router excluded) I wont be convinced to purchase a Triton made respirator easily. These things are supposed to protect your health.

Whats the story?

J!
    J!

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and its price is competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

I agree with Gumby, Bunnings are just like Coles and Woolies and look what they have done to farmers that supply them now. Look at their ads - one with a farmer supplying them meat that has still old wooden fences and one that supplies fresh herbs and can't even afford a tractor that can get into gear properly. It is supposed to be a romantic ad but it is ironic in its portrayal of their suppliers.
    Bunnings are basing their model on the same principle - defeat the competition - belt your suppliers to the lowest level and then put up the price to an extreme margin level that your customers have to pay.
    See this weeks' Weekly Times if you want to read more about their theories.

One thing about bunnies that stops them out doing the competition is you dont see real machinery in store! Sure you might see some brand name hand held stuff but thats all.
    Ever seen a proper table saw or a dusty in one of these tyrant rouge stores?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72
    One thing about bunnies that stops them out doing the compition is you dont see real sized machinery in store!
    Ever seen a proper table saw or a dusty in one of these tyrant rouge stores?
    You are right with that - hope they keep out of that market.

Not that I sell machinery but I like to see small businesses succeed - and big ones if they don't try and monopolize

That is the problem with modern economic theory. Its all about monopoly, legal or otherwise.

So is the unit any good?

J!
    J!

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and its price is competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodlice
    So is the unit any good?

J!
    I can only speak from my experience.

I found that it did what it claimed that it would do.

However, for mine, I find it unwearable unless for a short period of time.

I find the helmet uncomfortable and the constant drone of the air pump extremely irritating.

I wouldn't buy it again, however, if I was a turner, then I think it would be indispensable

I find that it is great for turning as it feels really safe.
    As for putting the thing on I have all sorts of problems trying to get past the plastic bar that the visor flips down onto, then I have trouble getting the ear muffs out of the way. I find that the thing is unbalanced when the ear muffs are out so I put them on all the time and cant hear the radio. I get really hot as the air flow is limited, and due to that fact I don't wear it as often as I should.

The other day the two small bits of double sided tape that holds on the duct through the top of the helmet came loose and now that rocks all over the place.

Im with craigb, I wouldn't buy it again but I do feel safer using it. Why cant Triton bump up the air flow so it doesn't feel like a sauna?
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

What about a 3M racal airsteam(the starwars helmet), they still got the mozzie sound but they are well balanced and quite comfortable. You will get use to the mozzie after a while and it wont bother you.
    The other disavantges are the weight of the battery pack and the cord that connects it sometimes gets in the way.(a back pocket is best)
    Their not cheap at $700 upwards but with these things as all things you get what you pay for.(a full set up is about $1400)

Had much experience with them, I wear them 42hrs a week and they've saved my head many times, cant hear the mozzie over the job!

The motors last about 12-18 mths constant use. Batterys go for 12-24hrs on one charge and will last 3-4yrs in constant use, remembering my work is an extreme enviroment much much worse than any WW workshop.

Impact rating is the highest level for the helmet, face sheild has good rating too(not as high obviously).
    Parts can get expensive, it cost's work, main filter(non carbon) $10ea carbon are $35ea, pre-filters about $2 and a large battery pack is $120.(probably be a bit dearer as we get them by the pallet full...)

Hint, with any carbon filters if you seal them in a plastic bag while not in use they will last heaps longer, oxygen exposure wears the longivity of them.

I use a racal dustmaster and find it comfortable.... bloody expensive but comfortable. Flatulance can be a bit of a problem, depending on one's diet..
    Jim

Re: whether the respirator is worth buying or not...

I feel it is a useful tool.

I like the triton respirator... cutting mdf used to leave me terrribly congested at best of times and at worse coughing despite a decent dust mask. All that has stopped, with the added bonus for us four eyes that your glasses are always clean and never fog up. The last benefit is the visor/muffs combo.

I think it is worth every cent, but it is an individual decision. If you think you cant stand a helmet on your head there is no point buying the respirator.
    You can never have enough planes, that is why Mr Stanley invented the 1/2s

Thumbs up

Still 15% in victoria until May even though they are advertising 10% at the stores

Then there's the Trend full face powered respirator which fits in between the Triton and the Racal. After working as a Medical Photographer for the last 35 years I used to see all the facial injuries from woodworkers and other workshops. Not a pretty sight - the disintegrating disc off a 100mm grinder for instance can do a lot of damage as it passes through the facial tissues!! Dust can do as much damage but is far more insidious. Full face respirators I reckon are a great idea but have to be well designed and comfortable to encourage their use.

Appreciate the thoughts about Bunnings predatory agenda but what can you do - if you cant change the system you have to go with it. Anyway Timbecom still wins because I am planning to get a Sherwood dust collector & air filter from them

By the way has anyone have any feedback on the Sherwood air filter?

I bought the Triton respirator because nothing else would work with my beard and I mus say that although I could not wear it all day I'm very happy - plenty of fresh air - good vision - and the noise level does not exceed my tinnitus level!
    Rgards to all

Barry