Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Zhen Knife Blanks

Zhen knife blanks are made in the damascus steel style of Japanese knife making and distributed in Australia by Professional Woodwork Supplies.

Initially I bought two knives for SWMBO; A small paring knife and a Santoku knife. The knife blanks were clad with one of the Casuarina oaks. I think it is bull oak, but I can't be absolutely certain.

The second pair of knives purchased were for my daughter and these were another Santoku and a chef knife. The scales from these were made out of spotted gum, the real one (Corymbia maculata) . I know this because I cut the trees many years ago when I was supplying timber for tool handles. I make this point also because there is a very interesting, but equally subtle grain on the trees to which I had access.

I like it, but acknowledge I am very biased.

The knife blanks come with comprehensive instructions which if followed will produce a good result for most people. The big decision after selecting the knife of your choice and timber to suit is whether to use rivets or just glue with epoxy.

I chose to use the rivets, which are supplied. You still glue as well not instead of. In fact extra rivets are supplied. The reason I chose rivets was that I am still not confident that glues are up to gluing some of the the denser, and rarer, aussie hardwoods. However this decision is up to the individual and completely dependent on the timber.

In talking to IanW at a later date, he advised that the casuarina was not that good in water, but as we make a point of not leaving any of these super sharp knives in the washing up water (for safety reasons) it probably won't matter. In both cases I finished the knives with a gloss varnish. It is not my preferred finish but it is relatively durable.

I fixed the rivets differently to the recommendations. I cut the first scale to approximate size and glued it to the knife blank. Then I drilled holes (three) from the blank to suit the rivet size (it is a two part male and female rivet) into the timber one it was firmly glued.

Then I glued on the second scale. Once set it was easy then to drill through from the first scale into the second.

Shaping was done with an angle grinder and a sanding disc. Pause here for the dark siders to pick themselves up off the floor . Initially I used a 40 grit, which I had been using for sanding the weatherboards on the house, but I got better results with finer grits. 80 to 100 seemed OK. You do need to go gently.

The recommendations are to put masking tape along the sharp edge of the knives while you are working on the handles. The knives arrive sharp and without the edge being protected you will cut certianly cut yourself. I put copious quantities of masking tape along the edges.

In shaping the knife handles I would also recommend placing masking tape around the bolster area to prevent damage.

After I drilled the holes for the rivets I drilled another hole slightly smaller than the rivet head to provide an interference fit for the rivet head. Judging the thickness of the handle compared to the length of the rivet is probably the most difficult single aspect.

You can see on the first Santoku knife in bull oak that I recessed two of the rivets, but I didn't really like this so in all the other knives the rivets were set flush. In practice this means you are restricted to a certain thickness of handle if you are going with the rivet option. If I had a criticism of the Zhen knife kit it would be that a slightly longer rivet could be supplied as well. They already supply more rivets than you need.

The rivets were pressed together initially using an engineers vice and if required a hammer and punch. After one rivet collapsed on me and I had to drill it out I sharpened the male half for the rest of the rivets. However I think it was me being cack handed rather than a fault of the rivet. Final shaping with the sanding disc on the angle grinder will remove a small amount of steel
    to bring the head flush with the scale.

Sanding was continued with a ROS and varying grades of sandpaper until an acceptable smoothness was reached..

Damascucs steel was a method of protecting the very hard inner core so that it could be tempered to a hardness that was normally too brittle. Arguably today with modern steels that is no longer necessary, but the visual effect of knives forged in this way is still as dramatic as the way it was first done.

Incidentally the steel used is referred to as VG10. I have to say that I am not that familiar with it except that it can be hardened, but is less brittle. The steel core (the VG 10) is hardened to Rockwell 60-62. There is also available a small cleaver and a breadknife, which is not hardened to the same level. I suppose if you need a hardened bread knife you should think about changing your baker.

Zhen kitchen knives 004.jpgZhen kitchen knives 001.jpgZhen kitchen knives 002.jpgZhen kitchen knives 003.jpg

Zhen knives second 003.jpg

I also made a knife block, which I will describe in the Japanese tools section.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Zhen Knife Blanks

Thanks Paul. Looks great. I've been thinking of getting some of those blanks.

Nice job.

Trav

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

Jeez there were instructions? I purchased 7 of these blanks with no instructions so I was travelling blind. i agree longer rivets would be good I wrecked a few as the rivets did colapse but I found that sharpening the male? rivet that fitted inside the hollow solved problem. It was good that they came with extra rivets. I used queen ebony and jarrah for the scales and all who received got strict instructions not to soak or use dishwasher. The feedback I seem to be getting is that they love using them and all want more as the knives are very nice to use and put their existing knives to shame.
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they
    bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs .

Fubar

Sounds like a good job especially as they are coming back for repeat orders . Sounds like a couple of your rivets ended up like one of mine (fubar? ).

It would be really good to see some pix of the knives. I'm guessing that all your knives are in the hands of other people now, but perhaps you could persuade them to take a pic or two and send them back.

The Zhen knives do look spectacular with their damascus rippling and your choice of timbers sound as though they would compliment the knives very well.

Your post reminded me that I was going to put a link in to the Japanese tool section where I placed the knife block. As you will see even the knife block became controversial .

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f111/z...-block-164979/

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Paul (and anyone else who has them)

Any further thoughts on these now that you've had them for a while? It's time to gear up for Christmas presents (yes, I'm slow!) and I've got these n my list of things to do.

Trav

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    Paul (and anyone else who has them)

Any further thoughts on these now that you've had them for a while? It's time to gear up for Christmas presents (yes, I'm slow!) and I've got these n my list of things to do.

Trav
    Trav

It's funny you should take this moment to ask the question and very opportune as I am currently making up two more knives, a paring knife and a chef knife, for my sister-in-law. I am partly through the process and will post some pix a little later.

On the subject of the Zhen knives themselves, I have been very pleased with them. I find that the Santoku knife is the most used of the smaller knives and this surprised me as it is not so familiar to the western mind. It really is a delight to use and has the added attraction of looking a little different and not being too expensive compared to the chef's knife.

I would further comment that if you decide to use the rivets (it is optional), it is far easier to have a flat sided scale and probably it is worth investing in a rivet drill also. I haven't done that on either count and have more difficulty seating the rivet heads flush.

Two things I did differently to the instructions. I used the strong Araldite as opposed to the 5-minute that was recommended and I glued one scale on first (very important to ensure the scale remains butted up to the bolster during the clamping), drilled the three rivet holes, glued the second scale and then drilled the hole right through.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Thanks Paul

I was looking at the santoku - is seems to be the sweet spot between sizes.

Good point about the flat scales - I've not really thought about what profile I'd like to use. But I like the look of the rivets, so I expect that flat scales are a good bet.

I've got some nice silky oak that would work well, otherwise I might try and find a lighter coloured timber - rock maple perhaps - as an interesting change from the usual black/dark brown handles.

Are the blades taking and holding an edge well?

Trav

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    Thanks Paul

I was looking at the santoku - is seems to be the sweet spot between sizes.

Good point about the flat scales - I've not really thought about what profile I'd like to use. But I like the look of the rivets, so I expect that flat scales are a good bet.

I've got some nice silky oak that would work well, otherwise I might try and find a lighter coloured timber - rock maple perhaps - as an interesting change from the usual black/dark brown handles.

Are the blades taking and holding an edge well?

Trav
    Trav

I agree with you comments on timbers. I think that having put a personal stamp on the tool, why stick to traditional colours/finishes. The scale only has to be flat where the rivet is sited.

The blades are taking and holding edges well. Being stainless steel we sharpen them on a good quality butcher's steel quite satisfactorily. When they develop a "shoulder" I take them to the waterstones. I wouldn't use a butcher's steel on the very hard carbon steel blades used in Japanese knives as they are too brittle and the sharpening action may cause chipping even if the steel is harder than the knife.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Thanks Paul. I'll give one a go and see how it pulls up. I may get in touch again if things go pear shaped.

Trav