Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thank you all for the very nice coments been working on all the iron, for the Hitch Equipment, got some Dutch Ovens made not real happy with them tho a little messie with the selver solder on the lids but they look great from the Pub steps as they say, more photos coming soon...
    Gary....

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

well i got started on the horses for my Chuck Wagon this is how i start with a block of pine.....
    Gary...

heres the horses with good start getting there leggs apart is the frist step i use a sharp wood chisel to do that then put them on my drill press with a 1and 1/2'' sanding wheel to ruff them out as you can see in the photo.....
    Gary....

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Oh my goodness me Gary, Horses for the wagon......Wow.....

i get so in to working i forget to take photos as i go sorry...this is jumping ahead a bit here you can see there all most at the end just some fine fileing and sanding at this point one can go to far so you've got to just do a bit then let it rest and go on to a other part of the job... they will be standing on a little rise so there feet look a little off i will drill a 31/6th hole in the bottom of there hoof or a 1/8 th then put a dowel in the hoof and in the base i do this with a little hand drill so i don't mess up a lot of work....i don't want them to move so this puts them there for a long time...now on to the cook and camp bitch most of the time there a old Cowboy, that's been bucked, off one time to offten and a young wantabe Cowboy, i did that for a year back in 1960 $5 bucks a day and all the dust you can eat... never seen camp in the daylight 7 days a week it's a great way to save money tho no place to spend itno girls or beer... but a great way of life if you like the out doors....
    Gary.....

this shows a pice of the pine i use this was cut out of one of the horses it's 2and3/4''s thick then i glue a 31/6th pice on there but one on a side and the same on ther belley that makes them @ 1/8th scale there 15 hands high in scale about the same as a tall saddle horse... i think i'll paint them black with white....
    Gary....

RODIN :

Good Grief .... This forum has the 'Rodin of Wood' as a member ... and luckily he is in scale-modelling.

Great Stuff ... pure pleasure to read/view your posts.

Non-thread related: In Thailand the Queen (revered and loved by all Thais) initiated craftmanship schools/factories for the poorer Thais who rely on seasonal crops/fishing etc ... to help tide them over off seasons/bad seasons. And provide a more secure income/education. many skilled craftsmen, (unknown fisherman, etc) emerged from theses schools/factories.

I think they are actually called the 'Queen's Factories'

I recently bought two horses carved in Mango wood which I bought back to Australia, (and having chk'd with customs on the way out) .. from one of these schools. About $100.00 the pair. They are hand-inlaid with mother-of-pearl/nacre ... and truly the pics do not do them justice as you cannot differentiate the seams..

I hope you don't mind if I post a pic of them here ?? But they do resemble yours.

I will remove if you wish ? just say so.

Greg ...

What Greg said,,,,
    Just getting over the shock of all the fine work you did on the wagon and you switch to some pretty decent carving.
    Your time around stock is obvious, you have very quickly knocked out those horses and they look very true to life.
    Masterful work, very enjoyable to watch.
    Cheers, Ian
    "The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done.
    If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run.
    And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"

Thank you folks for the nice words i enjoy the work...theres somthing about the out side of a Horse that's good for the enside of a man.....
    Gary.....

I forgot i told you folks i was going to me working on the Hitch iron... well i did but then i got involved with the horses and then just diden't get back to this great forum so hear is the hitch iron and the tongue with the neckyoke tree that's at the end of the tongue or pole as some say... and the Doubletree, with the singletrees, the singletrees is where the tugs hooks from the Harness, most i'm sure know this but some may not...sorry i got this out of order i'll work on that lol....
    Gary.....

a close up

this is the Dutch ovens i was talking about i'm not real happy with my soldering on the lid of the one but on the base they will have coals on top... the one with a long handle is a spider oven like a big frying pan with a lid used for bakeing bread or a colbbler they were mostly used on a open hearth fireplace one could pull hot coals from the fire and put under the oven and on top and bake, there very hard, to find if you ever get a chance to pick one up they sale for some big bucks, look on Ebay, some time they well have a 10'' one the most common, i've seen them bring over $500.00 the miniature one hear is a 12'' one in scale there rare, they look like a frying pan with legs and a lid there cast iron, i know theres alot of dutch oven cooks in Australia i'm in a dutch oven group down there i used to compete in cookoffs well that's off topic,
    Gary....

Just CAN'T believe I'm looking in miniature .... so true to scale !!!

Greg

Gary,

Your last post with all the tools and equip for the wagon is fantastic. Did you make the hacksaw as well? If you did would like to see some close ups and how you made it.

Bret

Hi Bret, that meat saw is one of the ez things i make i use a 3/32th welding rod put it in your vise, with a 1/4'' out, then with a hacksaw cut a groove in the end do this on each end then bend one end at 90o and the ather end at say 80o that's up to you i think it looks better that way... now use one of your scrollsaw blades cut a bit off the end put it in the grooves and let 3/8'' stick out of the end with the handle, with a 1/8th'' round file make a groove in the end of the handle, then on the bottom of the handle cut a thin groove so as to let the 3/8th'' end of the blade slip in that groove, so the file groove then fit's around the end of the rod and the blade end fit's in the bottom of the handle, just smash the end of the rod around the blade then file any thing that sticks out off, to make the handle i use a 4'' long peace as wide as the handle and 5/16'' thick out of a hard wood mark it out then on your scrool saw cut out the handle then shape it how you want then cut it off sand it flat on the end and make your grooves then i use loctite, super glue gel control no drip and stick it on and in just a bit it is tight the blade stays put just don't use it to saw, you could drill a little hole and put a little pin in if you want....hope this helps...
    Gary.....

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast