Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Neck de-laminating - any way to fix??

Hey guys
    I'm in the process of building a guitar and I just noticed the neck has de-laminated itself along one of the glue joins from the top of the headstock down to the pencil lines in the photo. This is a bit of a disaster as it's a neck for an archtop, and I've already cut the dovetail and fitted the fingerboard extension which was a lot of fiddly work, and I'd hate to have to restart from scratch. Can it be fixed? I'm thinking along the lines of syringing CA or some other thin glue into the crack and re-clamping? I can't really see any solution involving heating up the glue to melt it and re-doing, as the fingerboard extension is already in place and would have to be removed as well, not to mention the dovetail being already cut (which surely couldn't be perfectly aligned for re-gluing.)
    Any help?
    Cheers
    Will

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Depends on what the glue was in the first place.

Generally, the only easily re-glueable glue is hide glue - after that, it's back to bare timber with everything except epoxy (which just needs a good 80 grit sanding to provide some grip for fresh epoxy). Nothing will really stick well to PVAs or polyurethane glues. Try the CA....if it holds, it holds, if it doesn't....

Does it show on the back? If you haven't done the truss rod yet you could route away the fault, fill and then route the truss rod. Mixing glues is a risk. This might be the time to start over. If it fails after it's fitted to the body and has a fb, binding and head veneers on....that is a nightmare. The reason could be bad glue or the joint isn't right. Opening at the end and working down makes me think it's the joint.
    Cheers, Bill

The glue used was Titebond. Quite baffling that it's happened - every piece was nicely jointed, clamped when glued etc. Prying the pieces apart at the top and having a look, it's a very clean split on the joint - no chips left over on either side, just perfectly separated. Oh well, sounds like I'll have to start from scratch