Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Default Brass Darkening Solution...

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
    I am going to look into ways to restore the etch, once I sort out the handle. I may as well go whole-hog on bringing this saw back as well as I can
    Well,

Google and a bit of patience goes a long way. I've found a handy article here (Enhancing the Handsaw Etch by Bob Sturgeon) which recommends a product available in Australia from here (8 oz Brass Darkening Solution by Rockler - Shop Online for Health in Australia).

I might wait a couple of weeks until my bank balance looks a tad healthier and give it a go. Has anyone here tried this stuff?

Craig

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Yep as per pmcgees linky. The stuff is available in au.

Default Thanks!

Gents,

Thanks once again for the handy links and sound advice!

Craig

Default S&J Sovereign 179 Handle Update

I haven't had a lot of time to do much in the shed lately, but am getting back into the groove and this is my progress on the handle for my vintage S&J saw:

S&J New Handle Progress.jpg

I'll be shaping the handle a bit more over the weekend, but think it is more important to cut the slot for the blade before I shape the handle too much more. You may have noticed that the holes I have drilled aren't positioned in the centre of the old holes. That's because the old handle had dried and lifted, throwing my photocopy out of whack. The new holes are positioned via the saw blade itself

Craig

Craig

I have had varying results with the brass darkening solution and I think much of it comes down to the condition of the saw plate.

The solution is spread over the etch area and then wiped over with an abrasive after a suitable period of time. With a nice flat plate it would work well, but few of our restoration saws have a nice flat plate.Typically they have pits and scriations and of course they are in the etch region too. The problem is that all those minute grooves and pits have now darkened too. Consequently the area of the etch has darkened as a whole. It can be removed, but then the etch benefit is removed and thus the point of the exercise.

For me the jury is out, although, like others, I am persisting with various combinations of length of time and repetition.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Default Etch

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Craig

I have had varying results with the brass darkening solution and I think much of it comes down to the condition of the saw plate.

The solution is spread over the etch area and then wiped over with an abrasive after a suitable period of time. With a nice flat plate it would work well, but few of our restoration saws have a nice flat plate.Typically they have pits and scriations and of course they are in the etch region too. The problem is that all those minute grooves and pits have now darkened too. Consequently the area of the etch has darkened as a whole. It can be removed, but then the etch benefit is removed and thus the point of the exercise.

For me the jury is out, although, like others, I am persisting with various combinations of length of time and repetition.

Regards
    Paul
    Paul,

I've put a bit of thought into this, and I have decided not to worry about the etch. If I can return this saw back to working condition, with a nice looking, comfortable handle and get it wicked sharp to boot, I think I'll be happy with that If I can shape the handle and fit the saw plate and start to feel over-confident, I might even have a crack at doing a bit of wheat carving. Anyone got any tips for doing that ?

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
    Paul,

I've put a bit of thought into this, and I have decided not to worry about the etch. If I can return this saw back to working condition, with a nice looking, comfortable handle and get it wicked sharp to boot, I think I'll be happy with that If I can shape the handle and fit the saw plate and start to feel over-confident, I might even have a crack at doing a bit of wheat carving. Anyone got any tips for doing that ?

Craig
    Craig,

I will just put on my charlatan hat here for a moment .

I bought a Pfeil "Vee" tool for doing just that. It was 12-6 model

Pfeil 12-6.jpg

I used it the other day just to clean up some wheat carving, but the "V" was too wide.

I am hoping to get a Pfeil 16-6 this coming weekend. This has a more actue "V" at 35 deg.

However these tools are expensive and it may well not be warranted if you only have a single handle to do. You may be able to find a similar tool in another brand.I also have seen on a U-tube video, the renowned woodworker Paul Sellars carving wheat in a saw handle from scratch using a very sharp craft type knife.

I will have a look to see if I can find it or perhaps somebody else knows where to look directly and will beat me to it. It was on one of his handsaw tutorials.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Craig

This is the Paul Sellars tutorial. Quite a good one. I like his concept of what I refer to as refining the handle. Modern handles became so unattractive and utilitarian compared to those before the Great Depression. I can see an argument to say we have never quite recovered from that event, we.., where hand saws are concerned .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwxOnpdXPU

He starts the wheat carving just before the five minute mark, but the entire video I think you may find interesting.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

If you were to look online regarding "chip carving" you would probably be able to see it done with (in essence) a Stanley knife.

I was able to get to one of the branches of the WA Carvers Guild for a while when I had Mondays free ... nothing like an experienced hand to guide you ...

Cheers,
    Paul

Default Thanks again!

Paul,

Thanks very much for all the info and the link!

That video is very handy! I am thinking for a once-off a craft knife might do the trick for me

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by pmcgee View Post
    There's some great pics of handles there

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910