Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Dismantling a slimline pen

Can you dismantle a slimline pen using transfer punches?

I would like to convert one of my gunmetal grey streamlines into a stylus streamline pen. To make it look good, I should replace all components. The bit I'm most worried about is how to remove the nib. The cap should be fairly easy with transfer punches.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Pen Disassembly Tool

Quote Originally Posted by bassmansimon View Post
    Can you dismantle a slimline pen using transfer punches?

I would like to convert one of my gunmetal grey streamlines into a stylus streamline pen. To make it look good, I should replace all components. The bit I'm most worried about is how to remove the nib. The cap should be fairly easy with transfer punches.
    Hi Bassmansimon,
    Im sure there is other methods but you can actually buy a Pen Dis-assembly Tool firm a couple of the sponsors usually under Pen making tools section, i have used them for slimline and work great, i think they are like $7-$10, i borrowed one so i cant tell you what size the components are but you could probably make on out of some thicker gauge wire or very thin metal rods, hope that helps,
    Mybe some other member have a homemade method they can enlighten us all on
    Regards
    Ben
    Last edited by Beedeejay; 4th February 2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Removal of hyperlink

yes Simon its easy peasy, just use the largest size that will slide into the upper tube & tap with enough forse to dislodge the old clip them press the slylus adapter into the end. If you want you can also remove 7mm from the end and re-turn the end and refinish it thus bringing it closer to its original length.
    Last edited by tdrumnut; 4th February 2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: spellingnerror

Thanks ben. Do you know if they just do the same thing as a transfer punch, or if they are somehow better?

Quote Originally Posted by tdrumnut View Post
    yes Simon its easy peasy, just use the largest size that will slide into the upper tube & tap with enough force tomdilodge the old clip them press the slylus adapter into the end. If you want you can also remove 7mm from the end and re-turn the end and refinish it thus bringing it closer to its original length.
    That will work well for the upper end for replacing just the tip. Problem though was that the original pen is gunmetal grey - I only have Chrome stylus kits, so will look funny, making me have to remove the nib also.

But the pen mechanism is still into the tube in the lower half of the pen, making it difficult to remove the nib.

ah! ah! i found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQix2XUxXpQ

Thanks for the tips everyone. Youtube shows how to do it with transfer punches

Simon the nib dissassembles the same way as the clip end using transfer punches.

Quote Originally Posted by tdrumnut View Post
    Simon the nib dissassembles the same way as the clip end using transfer punches.
    Thanks for that. I just wasn't sure that a transfer punch would fit through the pen mechanism and still be big enough to punch out the nib.

To repress the nib on with the mechinism installed, simply drill a 1/4" hole in a bit of scrap so the barrel of the pen is supported and no weight goes on the activater ,that way your settings remain undisturbed ,these little things that come up are soon overcome as we progress along the pen-way cheers ~ John
    G'day all !Enjoy your stay !!!

To remove the nib you'll need a steel rod the same or slightly less than the large diameter of the refill, 3mm. I don't know how small the transfer punches got to. You slide the rod through the top of the twist mechanisim. Hold the barrel in your hand and firmly tap the rod with a hammer. It may take a while but the nib will start to come out.
    (Depending on the rod and how tight the nib is pressed you may damage the nib.)

If you're not removing the twist mechanisim, you'll need a block of wood with a hole in it for the mechanisim when pressing in the new nib. Otherwise you could press the mechanisim further in.

Have a look at the instructions for a commercial dissasembly kit and you'll get the idea. Note: in step 7 you can use your pen press instead of a vise.

Tony O

Looks like everyone else answered you while I was typing up my reply Must type faster

Quote Originally Posted by gawdelpus View Post
    To repress the nib on with the mechinism installed, simply drill a 1/4" hole in a bit of scrap so the barrel of the pen is supported and no weight goes on the activater ,that way your settings remain undisturbed ,these little things that come up are soon overcome as we progress along the pen-way cheers ~ John
    Thanks that's a good idea. I was going to be lazy and just stack up a bunch of slimline / streamline centre bands around the mechanism, but a scrap bit of timber would be better.

I have a slim Philips head screw driver which is just the right diameter to pass through the transmission and the shape of the tip sits comfartably nside the nib end, no square corners.

I also routinely put a bit of Vaseline on any fittings I press in to a pen, helps with assembly but more importantly it assist with disassembly.

An ounce of prevention and all that.

Good one Fred. I know some pen makers who do the opposite - using araldyte when assembling a pen, to make sure that it ain't goin' nowhere!
    I did this on a few of my pens... I really hope this wasn't one of them...