Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default the shed...continuing sagas

Hi All,
    thought i'd put together an update on the happenings in my workshop. Got a space organised under our garage on a sloping site, so the 6X7m space has only one wall along which it can get natural light.

One or two big lessons learnt along the way. The ideas of having benches ....and more benches was great up until the point i needed to move around the workshop and access machinery, equipment and just simply move around my project work. This lesson was quickly learnt once i got started on a day sailer (also somewhere else in this forum)...and got so frustrated with the minimal left-over room that I started to take a power saw and crow bar to the surplus bench tops.

effectivley - i started removing all that good work and now slowly am ending up with a far more comfortable space. Just recently i fitted the remnants from one of the benches over an existing work bench to create a timber stacking/shelving area. this was desperately needed as otherwise i tended to just step over stuff, trip over stuff and it was getting rather dangerous.
    anyway....a couple of pics of where i am at.

i am presently considering the integration of my T/S together with my main workbench. looking at options with this..but likely to do this as i am still looking for more space.

01-IMG_9923.JPG02-IMG_9924.JPG03-IMG_9930.JPG04-IMG_9931_resize.JPG05-IMG_9933_resize.JPG06-IMG_9976.jpg07-IMG_9978.JPG08-IMG_2045.JPG09-IMG_2046.jpg10-IMG_3395.jpg

so that was the past......................this is now where it sits

2012-12-17 22.08.40.jpg2012-12-17 22.08.46.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Looks great! i like WIP photos

Are all the benches shelving just made from pine legs and Plyboard for the bench tops? Then dyna-bolted to the walls?

I have a similar sized garage and need to put up some shelving, yours looks great im keen to put something similar together like you have

delbs....
    yep pretty much 90X45 pine legs. 18mm CD plywood to benchtops. ..and all dynabolted to the walls. super strong...

ps....once the boat goes.....i already have a wood lathe a VICMARK 250 and a 17" bandsaw to fit into the space. will be sooo releived once that boat nears completion.

Interesting. I like it.

Wow filled up and a make over all in one post

Nice size shed couple of questions and ideas

Is there a true outside wall? If so for natural light why not put a window or Solar tube in amazing how much they allow reflective light to brighten up a space.

Why did you put a raised flooring section at the bottom of the benches? Would this not give a home to rodents, less storage space?

hi wheelinaround.....

the photos are taken from where I have a set of double doors. so these are generally open when i work in the shed...and its not bad light...

the shelving on the bottom is overkill....and as you quite rightly mentioned - a home for rodents. although when pulling up one of the benches so far - no rodens at all - not even cocroach poo. i did make a very snug fit around all edges....hehe...the only other problem is rising damp when we get those heavy rains. this is unlikely generally as i have footings and the slab that are approximately 600mm thick. bit of overkill generally, however in this situation the footings and slab have to deal with the fact the walls to the shed have earth to the perimeter of 3 sides. ...and core-filled walls....so the footings for walls are massive....i am however looking to put a coat of paint on the concrete floor so that the sweep-up and dust free environment improves.........................(on a nostalgic note - my uncle is a cabinet maker in poland....(old school) i will post pics of his shed......i love the piles of sawdust and old-world gear he has) a simple shed with a lot of history.
    IMG_2790.jpgIMG_2789.jpg

Default Re: the shed...continuing sagas

what price did u pick up the 18mm cd plywood for if you dont mind me asking?

just the one sheet is across the top?

i like the look of a semi organised man cave. boat looks great! im no where near the stage to build that piece of art

delbs....
    got the sheets a while ago. i used to buy the sheet from the old BORAL timber yard in Ipswich. they ran a "seconds" shop and supplied a massive a mount of marine grade stuff to the boaties.....unfortunately they closed after the floods in 2011. the prices of these seconds were pretty cheap....cant remember exactly....but something around $35?? per sheet if i'm not mistaken. 18mm bench tops. 600mm deep and the bench along the middle is 700mm deep.
    the standalone table 1200X12400 is a standard sheet size. the top for that is 25mm thick..probably has about 4-5 coats of polyurethene on it.....super shiny and tough....

trying to get the boat finished ASAP as i have started on a bi-plane.

you can see my start on the bi-plane under the following link...... www.flitzer-brisbane.com
    work is under the "wings" section....

hehe...got my finger in all sorts at the mo....also building some workshop machinery like a tilting/lifting router table and fence, drum sander......will add those shots later....

cheers

Thanks for the photos of the uncles shed love that long belt sander.

......and the planer that's the size of a kitchen bench........