Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Minimum 'meat' to leave under a double-action truss-rod?

Designing/building my first guitar and planning to incorporate a Hot Stuff double-action truss-rod, which is 11mm tall.
    That doesn't leave much intact timber under the slot.

For instance, if the neck + fretboard is about 22mm and the fretboard is 6mm as in many guitars, then the neck itself is 16mm and only 5mm is left under the 11mm tall truss-rod. I guess this is one reason why so many guitars break at the headstock near the top of the truss-rod slot. (Been looking at pics and neck profiles all day.)

I want a nice, thin neck, but this makes me nervous. Is it worth making it slightly thicker at maybe 23mm or even a touch thicker?
    The current planned neck profile is oval 'C', as in the attachment below.

The (Merbau) neck/headstock will be one piece, not a scarf-jointed one, with 8 degree headstock angle and a decent-sized volute for extra strength. Headstock will be 15mm thick.

Edit: I only ever plan to use light strings.

Any input appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

If you make the neck too thick, that's the first thing people notice. Can you turn the rod around and adjust from the soundhole ? I use LMI single action truss rods. 4mm x 9mm groove and just a little beavering away around the screw area 11mm x 6mm x 6mm.
    Cheers, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Ball Peen View Post
    If you make the neck too thick, that's the first thing people notice. Can you turn the rod around and adjust from the soundhole ? I use LMI single action truss rods. 4mm x 9mm groove and just a little beavering away around the screw area 11mm x 6mm x 6mm.
    Yeah, really the last thing I want is a thicker neck. I'm a small bloke with small hands, so a thick neck is a PITA.
    Unfortunately, to adjust from the sound hole, I'd first need to add a sound-hole, or a decent one at least. This is a cigar-box style neck-thru guitar, and I was only planning two small 'f' holes. I like the sound of a 4mm x 9mm groove instead of a 5mm x 11mm one, but since this is my first guitar, I ordered a 2-way rod to give me a better chance of getting the neck right.
    I guess I'm in between a rock and a hard place.

Can I take it then that a 'Hot Rod' 2-way truss rod is completely useless and a waste of money, if it can't be fitted to a normal thickness neck in the usual way, with the adjusting nut at the top of the neck.?

Edit: A little reading tells me that the LMI double-action rods need a shallower slot and that they can also be installed with the adjuster at either end. It seems this is a common problem with Hot Rods. A big lesson learned.
    Can you point me to a good supplier of LMI rods?

Problem solved. Found LMI and just ordered one of their 14.25" double-action rods. Only needs a 9.5mm deep slot - much healthier than the 11.1mm needed for the Hot Rod equivalent.
    Thanks for mentioning LMI, Bill.

Just re-drew the side view to suit the LMI rod. Looks much better: -

Headstock - Side View.jpg