Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Woodworking groups/clubs in NE / Alpine Vic?

Hi all,

I've recently thrown in my city office job and sold my house to move my family to Myrtleford in North East Victoria (near Bright) for a tree change.

I was wondering if anyone else here is from the area and might be able to point me towards some woodworking clubs or interest groups nearby. There is a local Men's Shed, however membership is restricted to retirees.

Cheers,
    Sean

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

There is a local Men's Shed, however membership is restricted to retirees.
    Just lie about your age on the membership form.
    We don't know how lucky we are......

I thought age discrimination was illegal.

What about this one?

Mt Beauty Mens Shed

Hollands Street
    Mt Beauty, VIC 3699
    Bruce Brereton
    Phone
    0467 668 134
    Email
    [email protected]
    Status
    Developing

or have a look here

AMSA - Find A Shed

I agree with Avery I think you'll find they can not restrict the requirement of being retired as its a status not an age thing.

I often believed the young age restriction was for insurance reasons after listening to many old blokes talk from a variety of clubs its about being not made to look slow and old and out of touch.(joking)

It has nothing to do with age. I know guys in their 40's and 50's who are retired, and some guys who are still working in their late 60's and early 70's! They can't discriminate based on your work status, but they are free to choose their meeting times and opening hours. If they hold meetings at 11am on Tuesdays, and open the shed between 10-4 on Wed and Thurs it makes it impossible for non-retirees to attend.
    Banksia pod turning: Lamps | Goblet tealights | Winged bowl

Quote Originally Posted by sjm View Post
    It has nothing to do with age. I know guys in their 40's and 50's who are retired, and some guys who are still working in their late 60's and early 70's! They can't discriminate based on your work status, but they are free to choose their meeting times and opening hours. If they hold meetings at 11am on Tuesdays, and open the shed between 10-4 on Wed and Thurs it makes it impossible for non-retirees to attend.
    Well that was the other problem. They're only open two days a week from 10-3 (or something like that).

I did some reading and found that it is actually against the AMSA charter to have restrictions on membership, however being the cocky young guy who makes a fuss isn't going to achieve anything.

Thanks to the mod that moved this as well. Didn't realise there was a Mens Shed section.

however being the cocky young guy who makes a fuss isn't going to achieve anything.
    Oh, I beg to disagree. But tread lightly.

Contact them, tell them why you're interested and what you're interested in and then they'll know you exist. If they get enough inquiries from blokes in your age-group they might start another session.
    We don't know how lucky we are......

Here is an example of shed local to me that is for over 55's only. It would seem that if you are a council registered age care (over 55) service you can do this. Something to do with HACC funding. They do good work so i am not knocking it, just an example of what occurs.

Riverstone Men's Shed: Good Practices In A Men's Shed - Mengage - The Men's Health Clearinghouse

Think it is based on an exempted health program under HACC funding as the shed program based on evidence provides a benefit for the age group however this is my assumption

. AGE DISCRIMINATION ACT 2004 - SECT 42 Health

AGE DISCRIMINATION ACT 2004 - SECT 42

HealthExempted health programs
    (1) This Part does not make an exempted health program (see subsection (6)) unlawful.
    Example: A program for providing free influenza vaccines to older people, based on evidence showing that older people are at greater risk of complications as a result of influenza than are people of different ages, would be covered by this subsection.
    (2) This Part does not make unlawful anything done by a person in accordance with an exempted health program.
    Example: A person providing free influenza vaccines to older people in accordance with an exempted health program would be covered by this subsection.
    Individual decisions--health or medical goods or services
    (3) This Part does not make it unlawful for a person to discriminate against another person, on the ground of the other person's age, by taking the other person's age into account in making a decision relating to health goods or services or medical goods or services, if:
    (a) taking the other person's age into account in making the decision is reasonably based on evidence, and professional knowledge, about the ability of persons of the other person's age to benefit from the goods or services; and
    (b) the decision is not in accordance with an exempted health program.
    Note: The exemption in subsection (2) covers anything done by a person in accordance with an exempted health program.

Paul thats greatly interesting stuff.

I wonder how those people live life generally then I mean even going to the Dr's or to the library

I know a number of residential places where a "No Children" policy is in place we found this in QLD a village of retiree's. When asked where do the visiting gandkids stay they were told a motel.