Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Rudra Veena, What's that?

This is an Indian musical instrument called a rudra veena. I finished it a short while ago after working on it for three years. A lot of that time was doing research and scratching my head because there is no readily available information on making them. Its made from Honduran mahogany, ebony, Ivory (old piano keys) bone and shed deer antler. The resonators are large gourds. The finish is french polish and I used hot hide glue throughout. I very much enjoyed the carving part but it took like forever!

Thanks for viewing
    Ray

rudra-veena11.jpgrudra-veena08.JPGrudra-veena05.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Oh wow, superb craftsmanship.
    -Scott

Very nice.

What does it sound like?

I think you can be proud of that. What made you want to make one?
    Regards
    Hugh

Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Very nice.

What does it sound like?
    Very Indian . If you go to u-tube via google there are quite a few recordings: Some quite long.

Superb job Ray

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Quote Originally Posted by A Duke View Post
    I think you can be proud of that. What made you want to make one?
    Regards
    Who knows how these things happen, I wasn't planning on it but about seven years ago I heard a sitar. Not a recording or an amplified one on a stage but in an intimate setting being played by a master. I was totally blown away. Shortly after I bought a sitar and since then I've been inextricably caught up in indian classical music.

Thanks guys for the compliments and Bushmiller It does sound very indian and rudra veenas are definitely an acquired taste! That's due to the jawari, the bridges on many instruments are large pieces of bone that the strings vibrate across giving them that distinctive overtone buzz. And yes its not unusual to have tunes/raags that are one and a half to two hours long.

In case you are interested here are some pictures of the building phase. I didn't set out to record the process but I did take some shots. I love workshop in progress photos.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qw53jf26m6v1i8f/3VOeepeEGl

Thanks once again

Ray

Not a beginner's project by any stretch of the imagination and not a beginners workshop by the look of it either. I have only an inkling of some of these Indian instruments and not all of them are to my taste by any stretch of the imagination. I had not heard of the Rudra Veena before this thread.

My son is into some of these instruments (not that he can particularly play them). His Santour, which I had hitherto regarded as exotic, now seems banal in the face of a Rudra Veena!

BTW welcome to the forms and apologies for not acknowledging that before. I think it is indicative of how blown away we were by such an instrument.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Default My Rudra Veena, What's that?

My gosh, what an achievement. Congratulations!

Have you had it played by a really good player yet? It's amazing what they can tell you about your instrument.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Love it, really great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post

BTW welcome to the forms and apologies for not acknowledging that before. I think it is indicative of how blown away we were by such an instrument.

Regards
    Paul
    Actually I should have introduced myself first, but no, I just plunked by butt down and posted away like I owned the joint of something! Ok so here goes, My names Ray I spent my childhood in England then most of my adulthood in the US. I've been working with wood ( carpenter, cabinet making and boat building) for over 40 years. But I'm relatively new to lutherie, I've messed about with a few folk type instruments but this was my first serious attempt at a true classical instrument. Fortunately I had access to two museum quality Kanailal Rudra Veenas so I was able to study them and take measurements.

Bushmiller I liked your comment on your sons santour.

ebastiaan56 about finding a really good player to critique the instrument, herein lies the problem. There's not that many people who know what a rudra veena is much less someone who knows how to play them. So its pretty hard to get any feedback. I do have a knowledgeable friend who said after playing it "you nailed it" At some point I will have to make a recording that hopefully wont embarase me. Right now though, my woodworking abilities far outweigh my musical abilities on the veena.

Ray

Oh yeah you nailed it Ray that's a given. And btw it looks like carving and woodworking don't hold too many secrets from you

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kamusur View Post
    Oh yeah you nailed it Ray that's a given. And btw it looks like carving and woodworking don't hold too many secrets from you

Steve
    Thanks Steve. I have managed to sneak up and grab a few secrets but its like those Russian toy dolls where you open one up and there's another inside.

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Ray, that is a bloody astonishing effort! Fantastic job!

Quote Originally Posted by fishtail View Post
    I've been working with wood ( carpenter, cabinet making and boat building) for over 40 years. It shows
    But I'm relatively new to lutherie, It doesn't show
    Right now though, my woodworking abilities far outweigh my musical abilities on the veena. It shows
    Not a luthier myself, but I think some of the chaps are pretty keen to see other things you've made.

Cheers
    Brett
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

That is bloody amazing. When I think of the time it takes me to make a violin, it pales to insignificance when you see something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    Ray, that is a bloody astonishing effort! Fantastic job!

Not a luthier myself, but I think some of the chaps are pretty keen to see other things you've made.

Cheers
    Brett
    Thanks Brett

I'll have to search my hard drive and scan some older photos to post. I regret that I didn't take as many pictures as I should have. It seems with this livelihood deadlines are always looming and my main concern was finishing the project and getting it out of the door. It always seemed like such a hassle to clean the shop, pull out the backdrop, lights and camera, and back in the day, getting the film developed. ( thank god or whoever is responsible for digital cameras!) Anyway thanks for your interest I'll post something elsewhere on the forum soon.

Ray

I'll use this opportunity to add another photo of the veena. The headstock with lotus carving since its not evident in the other images.

IMG_0742.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast