Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0

Thread: Sloop plans

Default Sloop plans

Hi all,

Any ideas on where I could get plans for a boat similar to the Herreshoff Sloop in this months WoodenBoat? It's stunning and seriously thinking about diving in and making one.

LOA, 29’;
    LWL, 18’;
    draft, 3' 11";
    beam, 8' 1";
    sail area, 472 sq ft;
    and displacement,
    4,430 lbs.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

You may want to try WoodenBoat's discussion forum (woodenboat.com/forum), but there are lots of designs like this and you can get Herreshoff from the collection at MIT/Hart Nautical Collection and I think Mystic Seaport. MIT is pretty strict about how the plans will be used.

In the same vain as this yacht are many contemporaries of Herreshoff, all notable designers in their own right.

Construction drawings and lines are available if you purchase LFH's "Sensible Cruising Designs",

which can save a considerable amount of money, though are less than comprehensive, particularly for a novice builder. In this regard, building a 30' LFH design wouldn't be recommend for much less than an experienced builder, familiar with traditional methods.

Lastly, though it is pretty and timeless, compared to a modern design and build, it will be relatively slow, less then spry maneuvering, will lack accommodation and headroom, etc. Maybe a better choicw ould be a "in the spirit" type of design, that looks like a timeless classic, but performs and offers accommodations like a modern boat.

Argh, have had to type this twice as the last reply just disappeared

Thanks for the reply PAR, thinking about it you're right, I would prefer something with the more modern benefits and the ability to construct with modern techniques, but it still have the jaw dropping beauty of a classic yacht.

I've had a look around, but everything I can find looks modern and just doesn't do it for me.

I'd also probably need more detailed drawings (construction) as although I'm completely comfortable with the woodworking techniques I've seen while researching the building of boats, I've only applied them to fine-furniture and houses so far.

Any advice on of-the-shelf plans that are detailed, include modern building techniques, but have those classic lines of a timeless yacht?

Quote Originally Posted by elliottcal View Post
    . . . Any advice on of-the-shelf plans that are detailed, include modern building techniques, but have those classic lines of a timeless yacht? . . .
    This is such a loaded question and there are so many choices, that my opinions about timeless beauties aren't going to do you much good.

Most relatively modern designs can be modified to have a traditional look, though you'll have to pay for this service. I think you need to refine your needs and desires a bit, so you can narrow your search down. With a several specific designs in mind, you can approach a "conversion" either by yourself or with professional help. Simply put, a reverse transom could be dragged out into an elegant counter, though you'll have to loft up this alteration. The same with making a plumb bow a swoopy spoon or clipper. You'll have to hash it out on the loft floor. Cabin shapes and combing arrangements should be relitivly easy to change and the interior . . .

Look around and figure out what you actually like and want, then compare this with what your budget can tolerate.

Thanks PAR, I have a good idea on the boat I want and what I need from it, but struggling to put that into choosing a design. The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards employing the services of a design professional to tweak an existing design, so I'm getting exactly what I want.

A 10 meter sailing yacht is a huge undertaking, how many large scale projects like this have you completed previously?

Rounded-up, zero! As I said though not concerned about the techniques, just a larger scale than previous projects I've done with wood. Although under no illusions that this is something I'm not going to be able to do quickly, understand this will be a several year project. I'm loathed to start something smaller as I'll not use it when completed, at least with a larger boat I'll get lots of use out of it.

Let me just clarify that, zero big boat projects....well zero boat projects total. In terms of other big, lengthy, fiddly construction projects lots of experience.

Not concerned about a big boat, more concerned about choosing the right one...would hate to come out of the end of it with a boat that's just not what I wanted/need.

The wise option is to build a tender for your 10 meter yacht, typically using the same techniques as the mother ship. 30' boats need a tender and this will familiarize you with the techniques and materials, which along with the completed tender, will become quite useful on the big project.

Good point, didn't think of that, and would be good practice for the larger project. I shall start looking for a tender first and keep progressing with looking for a suitable design for my masterpiece

Thanks PAR, you've been a great help.