Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default My new plane till

Not long after I started woodworking I built myself a plane till. It was a maple box with a scrap of MDF badly nailed to the back wedged into a set of those flimsy metal garage storage shelves. It actually did the job ok. I ended up changing it twice, you can see it below in some old photos

100_2424.jpgplane_storage_2 (1).jpg

This wasn't a bad solution, but I hadn't made it big enough for anything more than a #6 (which seemed giant at the time!), and it eventually fell apart, the back separating from the sides. My joinery skills were somewhat lacking at that point in time.

My working set of planes grew into a collection, which was stored wherever I could find space, but as I've recently started selling off the extras to force myself to a reasonable set of users I decided it was time for a new till as well.

This one is pine with magnetic tool bars holding everything in place. It's working very well, the planes are held tightly but come out easily when lifted the right way. I've got a small shelf for my block planes and hooks on the sides for spokeshaves plus room on the top for specialty planes.

20130217_163025.jpg20130219_191740.jpg

I can't see myself going beyond this till now, the only plane I would like to get still is a shoulder plane eventually when I can afford it and it should fit on top.

I hope you like it. The build photos are over on my blog but really it's just a very standard box case.

Cheers
    Andrew
    ---

Visit my blog The Woodwork Geek to see what I've been up to or follow my ramblings on Twitter

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thumbs up

Well done mate!!!

A bit of law and order does wonders!

Excellent work, looks very neat. To do this in the tropics up here, we would have to add an air tight door and some silica gel packets to prevent rusting.

Thanks for posting.
    regards,

Dengy

Well done. You still hand more planes then I do. And that's a good thing in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    Well done. You still hand more planes then I do. And that's a good thing in my opinion.
    Thanks Christos . I seriously considered getting rid of the #6 as well, but it's a nice WW2 era one and I'm quite fond of it so it stayed. The little red planes were my first planes, a gift from my better half so that earns their place. Other than that they all serve a specific purpose - #7 as jointer, #5 as jack etc. I actually use them so I figure that justifies keeping them!
    ---

Visit my blog The Woodwork Geek to see what I've been up to or follow my ramblings on Twitter