Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default First time shed setup

Hi all,

For the first time ever I have the opportunity to set up/lay out the tools in my shed. I've been working in mixed spaces in the past and not really focussing on good organisation, but I've finally cleared my shed and am about to put everything back in - but where?

The Background:

I primarily work on woodworking, building small to mid size furniture, boxes, etc. But also build boats from time to time (which happens under the carport - but means that I need to mill large pieces of timber ~14' at times)

The Shed:

The shed is a 6200 x 3300 single car garage, with 1 side door and 1 double entrance door. Concrete floor, tin sided. There are crossbeams at the ceiling which can store some long pieces >2200 of timber.

The Tools:

I need to fit into this rather small space;

- A 14" Bandsaw
    - a 10" portable Tablesaw (on stand)
    - A bench/pedistal drill (on cabinet)
    - A 300mm Thicknesser
    - A 6" long-bed buzzer/jointer
    - A small (8"?) Radial Arm Saw
    - Some timber storage
    - A workbench for hand processes and assembly.

Would anyone like to have a go at recommending how I might best cram all of this into the space I have available? I've looked around quite a bit in terms of how to set up a single car garage shed but would love recommendations from you guys.

Cheers!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Lessee...

...the table saw should be placed in the middle of the clear area so you can cut large sheets, however you do say it's a 'portable' so it can be temporarily ignored (shed design wise) apart from allocating some out-of-the-way spot for it to sit while not in use.

IMHO the thicknesser/jointer and bandsaw should be placed around the middles of the 6m walls to give you at least a 2.4m 'infeed' & 'outfeed' areas. Ditto for the radial arm saw, but if you're lucky you can set it and the jointer up so their tables are the same height and one can be used as an in/outfeed stand when using t'other.

I've seen quite a few sheds where these are placed up near the roller door, which is opened so the outside can be used as a feed zone. That saves a lot of space, but sorta ruins productivity if you're in an area that sees a lot of damp weather.

Work benches & storage I'd probably run along the back (3m) wall, most likely with the pedestal drill in the middle.

Depending on how solid the basic structure of the shed is, I'd look at mounting wall brackets above the bandsaw/jointer for timber storage.

Whatever you do, I'm betting you'll change and tweak it, making some tools less easily accessible in favour of improving access to the tools you use a lot. A shed - and your usage of it - will evolve over time and I reckon it's best to wait until it has been 'up & running' for a year or two before you decide "Yep. This is how I want it" and start bolting machines down or custom fitting benches.

Good luck! (And don't forget pix. We like to see pix. )
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

My suggestion, would be to put all your machines on wheels.
    You then only need to bring out 1 machine at a time as you work.
    One wall could be the "parking area for your machines.

Just a thought, as this is how our Men's Shed has to work, because of the very limited space in a small garage.

Paul.
    I FISH THEREFORE I AM.

Default First time shed setup

I set up a modular system for some of my machines that fits in the middle of a workbench. You can then use the bench as indeed and outfeed tables for your thicknesser, RAS, router, etc.

See https://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/custom-scms-router-thicknesser-cabinets-165015

I have some of my timber storage above it.

Trav
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

cookie48 is offline Old Fart (my step daughters named me)

Default Shed setup

Even if you think you have the ideal system, it will change.
    I have placed most of my equipment on wheels and store to one side till needed.
    What will be a big decider in where thing go will be your power outlets. That is unless you want extension cords running all over the place.
    Just take you time and think it through.
    Cookie