Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: shed woes

Default shed woes

In August I ordered a 6mtr bx 9 mtr shed through a local Business, two days ago it was finally finished, the business seemed to take forever to complete the job, the shed arrived without the roller door and window, eventually the shed was put up just before new year, no roller door or window, I was given numerous excuses as to why it hadn't arrived.

The roller door arrived about 4 weeks ago, no window, another excuse, the window arrived and was put in, afterwards I found the window to be slighty smaller than the one ordered.

To complete the shed a flashing over the roller door was needed. Only a small job.

Once the shed had been put up, I started to move stuff in, knowing that it was not lockable and realised that if anything went missing it was my fault, luckily nothing went missing, the business made no mention about me putting my tools in, then an issue arrived and he said, "you should not have stuff in the shed, it is a construction site" but did not tell me to take it out.

the other day, I came home to find that he had replaced the locks and secured the shed, which prevented me from accessing my tools/lawn mower ect, what annoyed me is that he did not ring me to tell me it was completed, what followed was a heated discussion over this, he basically said its a construction site and can not be used, and that until it is signed of by the council I can not use it, plus he wanted the money for the construction. I reluctantly agreed at that point to give hime the money via internet transfer, however the money was in a locked account and had to wait until the following morning, To say I was livid was an understatement, he at no time told me I could not use the shed in the interim.

The following morning I spoke to the council to have a final inspection done, and it was found that the roof purloins were spaced to far apart, instead of 1100mm centres they were 1400mm so in fact on each side of the shed roof were three roof purloins instead of four, so the shed was not signed off.

Had I have paid the money, I have no doubt I would not hear from him again, as I was the last shed he was going to build as he was closing the business.

So I have a shed with tools but not allowed to use it.

Just thought I would vent.

Is he in his right to lock me out? By the way I was able to get back into the shed and replace the locks so he can not enter unless he contacts me, as I have told him not to enter the property unless I am there.
    whale oil beef hooked

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

you poor bugger that sucks
    does he have insurance to pay for the repairs
    Regards Michael
    enjoy life we are only here a short time not a long time

Thumbs up

some people are just born mongrels!!!

The council hasn't signed off so what do you intend to do about he purlins??

As yet he has not been paid for the construction, which is over $2000, which is in my favour. I was going to let the window slide but due to his attitude I am sticking to the contract. I have sent him a letter stating that due to the different window sizes I want the difference to be taken from the price as I am sure that the larger window, which has been paid for is more than the window that is put in, it might be only $40 or so, but his attitude sucks.
    whale oil beef hooked

I meant to add that it is up to him to fix the purlins, no money till he completes the job as per the plans.
    whale oil beef hooked

Tell him you'll reduce his fee for every day that it's not rectified as well. Why should you have to wait.
    I really hate poor service. Ring a window mob and get prices for the different windows. When he tells you you can have $20 for the difference, tell him what prices you were quoted and stick to your guns. If he hasn't fixed the purlins within a reasonable time tell him you will employ someone else to do it and take their fee from his payment.
    I know, I'm a p#$@k
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

If the shed is on your property he has no legal right to prevent your access. On the other hand you can stop him from coming onto your property, it's called trespass if he doesn't have your permission. I would suggest you tell him in writing you are getting someone else to finish the job and then deduct the cost from the money outstanding to him before paying him whats left. This has plenty of precedence in law and if he's got half a brain he will back off.
    Best of luck, cheers, Ian
    "The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done.
    If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run.
    And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"

Quote Originally Posted by Nanigai View Post
    If the shed is on your property he has no legal right to prevent your access. On the other hand you can stop him from coming onto your property, it's called trespass if he doesn't have your permission. I would suggest you tell him in writing you are getting someone else to finish the job and then deduct the cost from the money outstanding to him before paying him whats left. This has plenty of precedence in law and if he's got half a brain he will back off.
    Best of luck, cheers, Ian
    agree

just be sure to give him a "reasonable opportunity" to rectify the purlin defect -- ie take the roof off, install the extra purlins and adjust the spacing, put the roof back on.

I'd let the window go and just handle it as a deduction from monies owing.

If the "builder" is closing the business, he's probably only out of pocket for his labour.
    Don't be surprised if he never gets back to you.
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Removing the roof and adding the additional purlin to rectify the spacings will also require the replacement of the roof sheets, unless you like the idea of holes in the roof sheets.

I'd reckon you won't be seeing him. A complaint to the Building Services Authority may well be in order.

Cheers
    There ain't no devil, it's just god when he's drunk!!

Tom Waits

Question

BSA?? What a joke they are!!

Default update

An update to my woes,

The council inspector told me that the up to date specs for the shed, allowed for the Purlins to be 1400 apart, so that was good news, however there were a few bolts missing that had to replaced before the shed would be passed, well finally almost 10 days later he has replaced the bolts, now waiting for the council inspector to give a verbal 'yes' then I can pay.

However the door handle is still missing and I do not have keys to the shed, I will not be paying until they are in my hand, the whole process has taken nearly 6 months, and to be honest I do not feel like I like my shed, sounds strange, but I am sure once he is out of my life I can fall in lovve with my shed.
    whale oil beef hooked