Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast

Default The Northstar GIS Build

Well, I jumped off the deep end today and really started to do things. I bought $280 worth of tools and things and nothing for the boat! I will probably order the plywood this week and start on the mast and spars. I bought 3/8" plywood to use as a work bench and moved the whole works into the basement recreation room. I had to carry the ply sheets through a meter of deep snow to get to the door in the basement. My ever loving and patient wife even held the door for me.

I have experience in auto body work (should work well with fairing) and fiberglass. I have an couple of friends who have done cabinet work, one of which is a master carpenter but has never built a boat. They are interested and I am sure will rescue me from what ever embarassment I get myself into. Amoung my purchases was an Imperial - Metric measuring tape. We will be converting completely to metric hence forth. I also have a large radial arm saw in the barn that will be getting a work out.

I have been reading the encyclopedic works of other builds and am sure there is ample information for almost every work habit, technique, material and mistake I can make. I am grateful for those who have gone before and been so generous with their information.

Well, cross your fingers as this 70 year old embarks on another adventure. My goal is to have it sailing in about 90 days. There is almost no sailing around here, just power boats. I'm a morning person so will probably abide by woodeneye's rule of not working when my brain is tired so mornings it is.

Hoist the anchor, here I come.

Jerry

Northstar (Minnesota state name)

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default tape

one of my first purchases was a metric tape measure, also, but i find i use a 48" long straightedge with metric rule, and a framing square more often, at least so far. At least your basement is warm! my garage is around 30(fahrenheit!) this morning!

Default Going metric

It seems that we finally found a way for you north american people to convert to the metric system: Beautiful boats designed in millimetres!

/Pontus (Who is a bit proud that it was a Swedish guy, C.E. Johansson, who defined the inch as 25.4mm)

Default metric

I am 46 years old, and one of the many great ideas that President Carter had in the 70s was to convert the USA to metric. As a grade-schooler,it made perfect sense, base ten was just easier to work with. then we abandoned it, and i had to learn it all over again in high school science and physics classes.
    It really is easier.

Congrats Jerry! You are on the path to great satisfaction. Don't let those woodworking friends muck up the instructions. The GIS comes together beautifully without any expertise required.

Good luck with build, post plenty of pics!
    Dave
    StorerBoat Builder, Sailor, Enthusiast
    Dave's GIS Chronicles | Dave's Lugs'l Chronicles | Dave's StorerBoat Forum Thread

I work on call for my former employer when they are short starffed. Works for them, they don't have to tell me what to do. Works for me because it gives me fishing money and of course $$$ to build the GIS. The other upside is that one of my co-workers is a wood working addict and wants to make the mast inserts for me. I'm also sure in time, he will want to make the knees and breast hook.

Who am I to stand in the way of some one's happiness?

The boards for the mast are in but I have not picked them up because of getting called to work and it has rained all day and I don't want them wet. Monday's project. I am hoping to order the plywood this week. I'm still trying to find a local supplier. The closest I have found so far is in Ohio, 700 miles away. My wood working friend thinks the local lumber yard may be able to order it and save me a bundle on freight.

Tomorrow I will get the trailer ready to pick up the wood for the mast and set up the work bench in the basement so I can do the lofting on the plywood when it gets here. It should be available to dry assemble the mast. My ever loving wife might object to sawing and glueing on the carpet down there. When you have been married to the same person for 49 years, some things get pretty predictable.

Default Boat building weather

I have been very worried about the quality of wood I could get. A friend helped my order some Oregan through a local lumber yard. I was concerned about buying something sight unseen, but was really surprised when the lumber got here. It was 203 x 25 x 4876 boards with absolutely not a knot in it and very straight grained. My only possible criticism would have been the number of grains was lower than I would have liked. But since others have been able to use other species of wood and not have problems with their mast, I figure it is plenty good enough. I should start trying to rip it to size today. I also intend to order plywood today.

When I ordered my plans, the temp outside was -27 C. Yesterday morning it was -12 C and if I can get my pics up, it will show what the yard looks like. You will understand why this project is starting in the basement.

The snow is deeper than the floor of the front porch. My tracks leading to the basement when I carried tools, plywood for a work bench and lumber to the basement. The basement door peeking out from under the snow bank.

056.jpg058.jpg059.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Its official

OK, I jumped off the deep end and the plywood is ordered. I'm waiting for a shipping date.

Now to the barn to get the rip saw set up so I can get started on the mast.

Default Foil gauge

The pic in my build book only measures 110 mm and should measure 120 to be correct. Anybody got the right one so I can get started in that direction? My local WRC measures 22 mm. I'm wondering if that will be good enough or if I am going to have to do some rip and glue to get it to size?

I put my foil gauge in the photocopier at work at 110%, came to 120mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Northstar View Post
    The pic in my build book only measures 110 mm and should measure 120 to be correct. Anybody got the right one so I can get started in that direction? My local WRC measures 22 mm. I'm wondering if that will be good enough or if I am going to have to do some rip and glue to get it to size?
    If 22mm is the thickness it would work but only if you can glue up the blank with perfectly aligned joints. Not very likely.

You can still use it by ripping staves around 25mm then glueing them together to get an imperfect blank around that thickness. Planing it smooth will net you around 22mm which is what you want before adding two layers of 'glass....IIRC.
    The "Cosmos Mariner,"My Goat Island Skiff
    http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w168/MiddleAgesMan/

Starting the Simmons Sea Skiff 18
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

Default Thanks

Well, I will try the printer. With luck that will work and easy.

My guess is that I will have to rip stock to size then glue and plane to get the correct thickness. I have a commercial planer on standby for when I am ready. I will have a number of things to do including the mast staves so I am going to do it all and have it all planed at one time.

Default Glass cloth

Having read MIK's advise on using lighter cloth where possible, I was wondering if that applied to the original plan calling for 6 oz cloth on the foils? Is it possible or desirable to use lighter cloth there? I'm about to order so would really like to know.

A very interesting website with tons of information about epoxy, thickeners, solvents ect. can be found here.

Marine Fiberglass Epoxy resin - floor epoxy, boat repair, CATALOG

Cool Actually getting started

After six weeks of talking and reading, it felt great to actually get something done. I set up half of the work bench in the basement, hauled in the cedar strips and began to dry assemble the staves for foils. The smell of fresh wood in the basement is wonderful and so is getting my hands on it.
    001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg

Checking for straight and square on the rudder. Trial clamp on the centre board. A ten piece clamp set I managed to score for $4.

Default Glue

I can't find glue to add to my epoxy anywhere. Can someone suggest a site to order it. Duckworks doesn't list it and I can't find it anyplace else.

I ordered fiberglass and epoxy this morning so will be getting pretty serious soon and need the glue.

Thanks for any help.

Jerry

Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast