Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Clean oven wire racks?

I've searched throughout all the forums for advice on cleaning oven wire racks, and found nothing, so this forum is as good as it gets.

Dr Google suggests I soak the racks in very hot water and dish washing detergent. I tried that with poor results. I had to use scourers and steel wool to get it all off, and a lot of elbow grease.

Is there something in the workshop that will do the trick without dissolving the plating?

Ken

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I've used brush applied paint stripper Ken. Worked well.

Bob.

Sellies make a dedicated oven cleaner. Its as caustic as hell, but it will remove anything in the oven.

Incidentally, I have it for removing chrome plating from scale model parts. Itll gradually remove the chrome from the oven racks too, but its quite thick...but it sure is nasty stuff!

Default Paint stripper?

Hi Bob,

Not sure that I'd be happy using paint stripper on a food item. Obviously you would have to scrub the racks down really well before using them, or not if it's the mother in law's oven!

Ken

Dave J Guest

Grab a spray can of the oven cleaner that foams up, great stuff. I would give you a name but I don't have a can here, just know what it looks like in the supermarket when I go to buy it, LOL

Dave

Seconding the Sellies Oven Cleaner. I used two cans recently to clean up a Weber kettle (and it's grill) that hadn't been cleaned after its last use 5+ years ago.

It's nasty stuff on the lungs, but it works a treat with a couple of applications.

G'Day Fellas,
    As a single bloke who's oven gets to the health hazard stage, I line the racks and removable top and rear panels up against the back fence, blast them with caustic foam oven cleaner and let them sit for 4 hours (the can says 5 minutes but they are liars), rinse off with the hose, if there's any crap left it's time for the pressure washer. The rest of the oven it's the foam and a scrubbing brush (rubber gloves and safety glasses essential and wash hands before going to the dunny), reassemble oven, crank up to 200 C for 30 min to burn off any chemical residue.
    Gotta stop cooking crispy skin pork.
    Regards,
    Martin

You can get caustic and not-so-caustic oven cleaners in some brands. I treat them the same just in case.

I have had similar results with all the brands I've used, even the cheapies - usually good - but it depends on the state of the oven bits and pieces and how long between cleans as to the end result and how much elbow grease is needed.

Never thought to use the Karcher tho'.

The caustic oven cleaners are the way to go. Just make sure you wear safety glasses and rubber gloves when you are using them.

When I worked for a paint company, I used to clean the oven racks in the hot caustic tank. After a few hours they came up like new. Don't try this at home!

Michael

I have always found cleaning the oven racks a horrible chore. Even after lots of caustic stuff, you still have to get into the corners with steel wool etc.

There are a couple of businesses around that clean ovens. I have seen something on a website somewhere. A photo i saw shows
    them sealing the rack in a bid zip lock bag full of something nasty. Whatever it is it seemed to work.

Degreaser works pretty well on oven racks and on the BBQ as well. The stuff I use is a brown colour but can't remember the brand.

Question

Sandblast it!!!

Mix some sugar into some warm cooking oil or fat drippings & paint it all over it & then leave it on an ant's nest for a day.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.