Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default The three little pigs dilema

Hi all,

Well we're are about to move to a new house that doesn't have a workshop, or even a garage. The good news (for me) though, is that there is room out the back for me to build one so I'm in the process of planning the build. I will have a space around 5m x 6m, but unfortunately I have to conform to the fenceline to make the maximum use of space so it won't be a simple rectangular shape, so that pretty much rules out a pre-fab shed from Stratco or anyone similar.

So that means I'm left to decide between a brick wall construction or timber frame. I'm keen to do bricks but it will take longer to get it built because I'll be doing it myself and it will take longer to put up brick walls as opposed to a timber frame.
    What I'm after is some pros and cons between timber frame and brick that I may not have considered. So far I'm aware that if I go with timber frame it will:

Be quick and easy (relatively), compared with brick, so I can get my workshop up and running faster
    Be cheaper

OR

If I go with brick it will:

Be far more sturdy and I'll be able to hang more stuff from walls/roof
    Be more appealing aesthetically (I will be rendering the outside and cladding the inside)

I'm planning on having one roller door, one window and one normal door either way.

What would you do?
    To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

If you need to build an "L - shaped" shed then it may be possible to do that from two prefabricated sheds and just get the builders to leave a couple of walls out. That's what I ended up doing with the extension to my shed ( 6 x 4 added to a 5.6 x 3.3)

Also don't underestimate the amount of time needed to fit out a shed especially if you want to, insulate, line, set up dust extraction ducting, and decent shelves and benches.
    If you only have a finite amount of time then in my case I preferred to spend my time on quality specialized shed fit out rather than building the shed - which pretty much any shed company can do.

1. How close are your neighbours?
    2. How hot does it get in Summer where you are?

Where I used to live - in suburban Vic - I'd have gone the brick option, even if only for the extra sound insulation & easier temperature control. (With an insulated ceiling, obviously!)

Even now I still prefer brick, but as neighbours are no longer a concern I'd go for quicker productivity and use a timber frame. I can always throw on another jumper when it gets cold and we don't get that many sweltering days, being on top of a mountain.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Quote Originally Posted by Skew ChiDAMN!! View Post
    ...... I can always throw on another jumper when it gets cold ....
    What about socks?

Come to think about it I already know the answer.

Thanks for your replies so far. Yeah I know that the fitout will take a while, and certainly can't be rushed, but that will take around the same time no matter what the frame of the workshop is made of. Good point about the bricks cutting down on the noise factor though Skew, I hadn't thought of that and it will be necessary to cut down as much noise as possible. Might be time to break out the trowell I suppose. Thanks,

Steve

You talked about 3 little pigs, but there's one more method you didn't even consider.
    Straw...
    Get a colorbond roof on steel poles and fill in the spaces with straw bales.
    Put chicken wire on both sides and cement render it.
    Swimming pool makers have a concrete blower to spray it over the straw.
    No load on the walls so should be easy enough.
    There are several CSIRO books on the methods.
    And its a legal building method for Australia, no council can stop you using it

Sounds interesting and something that I'll research, but wouldn't you lose a lot of internal area by using bales of straw? I'm just guessing but I assume you are talking about full sizes bales of straw (rectangular and around 500mm x 500mm x 1000mm)? If I have a total area of useable space around 6m x 5m then wouldn't I end up with a workshop with an internal space of only around 5m x 4m?

Thanks for the idea though, and it's definitely a three little pigs themed suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgia View Post
    Sounds interesting and something that I'll research, but wouldn't you lose a lot of internal area by using bales of straw? I'm just guessing but I assume you are talking about full sizes bales of straw (rectangular and around 500mm x 500mm x 1000mm)? If I have a total area of useable space around 6m x 5m then wouldn't I end up with a workshop with an internal space of only around 5m x 4m?

Thanks for the idea though, and it's definitely a three little pigs themed suggestion
    I don't think they are as big as that:
    The most common bales used in Australia are the two string bales, which are approximately 900mm long x 350 mm deep x 450 mm high.
    so you'd lose 700mm in each dimension.

If your ok with a cement mixer you could render it yourself and the straw is cheap enough.
    whats 900x450 of bricks cost?
    Got to be a cheaper.
    You get the fun of leaving holes in the wall to make your own doors and windows.

Quote Originally Posted by _fly_ View Post
    You talked about 3 little pigs, but there's one more method you didn't even consider.
    Straw...
    Get a colorbond roof on steel poles and fill in the spaces with straw bales.
    Put chicken wire on both sides and cement render it.
    Swimming pool makers have a concrete blower to spray it over the straw.
    No load on the walls so should be easy enough.
    There are several CSIRO books on the methods.
    And its a legal building method for Australia, no council can stop you using it
    Please please do not use straw around steel.
    When metal changes its temp it sweats, sweat = moisture, moisture causes dampness, dampness = rot, straw is created to rot down and then over years you are left with wall skin and nothing inside.
    The same with concrete render, this traps moisture inside the bales again = rot.

The best info on straw bales is You Can Build a Straw Bale House

Its Australian and exported around the world its so good. Not affiliated but uou wont do better. The most practical book EVER on the subject.
    I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

Thanks Tonto,

Sounds like wise advice, but I don't think I'll go with straw anyway. After all, it never worked for the first little pig