Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Shopsmith Combinations

Hi,
    New to this Bulletin Board. I had a look at the BB acouple of weeks ago and was interested in a session on Workshops/Combination Machines. Sandy johnston said he had a Shopsmith Mark V.I have a Shopsmith 10ER which is much older, but in as new condition. Having had my own large joinery with all the real beaut machines as every day toys, the change to the garage on weekends is somewhat of a shock. If Sandy knows or anyone else who imported or still imports Shopsmith I would love to know. Have sent e-mail direct to shopsmith and also another site www.thewoodworks.com.au Anyone else have any knowledge on Shopsmith?????
    P.S. I have modified my machine by the use of a Triton MK 3 table. Allows crosscut/ripping to 450mm. The fitting of twocountersunk screw heads to the mitreguideand a new extension arm fitted with mild steel square fence and removeable aluminium fence allows crosscut/ripping to 700mm. Much better than the original 450mm square table. Takes 30 seconds to change back to original. Notwithstanding this I still have a desire for a Mark V.
    Over to you!!!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thumbs up

I have a 40 year old shopsmith that I bought after selling my tables saws. I had a temporary setback due to reducing my digits to 9.5 so I thought of selling the lot but soon got the urge to make more sawdust.
    As far as I can figure there is no one in kiwiland that sells shopsmith anything.
    The shopsmith.com site is where I shop - I can still get new replacement parts and the shipping is 1-2 weeks.
    pages.ebay.com/index.html is an auctions site that is usefull to - just do a search on brand name and see whats there.
    I got into the Lathe aspect of the shopsmith and have started using the other tools as well, now producing copious quantities of shavings and dust and enjoying it.
    Beats the C... out of sitting in my day job tapping the keyboard.

Regards
    Sandy across the ditch

Don't know if this will help but at www.jointech.com there are retrofit upgrades for shopsmith combo's. Not sure if these will be suitable for your model though. Worth a look any way, as these upgrades look very impressive and may be something to keep in mind if you come across a 2nd hand shopsmith with bits missing that no one else wants because its missing important bits like fences or whatever!

Cheers, Tim

Tim and Sandy,
    Checked both sites out.Absolutely great. The ebay site makes the mouth water.
    The second hand prices for three year old machines with every accessory are far less than I thought they would be, even in US$. I will make some enquiries about how to import through UPS etc. Clearances should be OK, its only the duty and the freight charge that may make it unviable.
    Sandy, when you look at those late 1990 machines with all the extras, you would have to be tempted as a Shopsmith user to update?
    You blokes are really are a wonderful source of info. Thanks very much. I will keep watching the BB
    Best wishes,
    Paul

Thumbs up

Giday Pen,
    The shopsmith upgrade is not my bag - I like what I have at present - shure nuffins perfec (wana list?) but...
    There are after market ad ons and they ain't cheap either.
    What I like is that this combo machine suits me for what I am doing - small jobs and turning, some disk sanding and a jointer, and the drill/bore set up is just dandy.
    Importing and electrics - I have stripped my MkV down to bare bones when I purchased to revamp any worn parts - the motor is reasonably basic. If you need a replacement there are comercial alternatices in single phase 240 vac. around $300.
    Once I get the urge for something bigger I would upgrade the workshop first.. .I find I need more flat space than I ever have.
    Ah dooo like the new techytool lathe but...now if that drive system can be implanted into my shopsmith....

Regards
    Sndy across the ditch

Smile

Thank you Sandy and Doorstop,
    I take your point Sandy. The step down from Altendorf to the Taiwanese stuff is a major leap in quality. I did see a Record combo listed on ebay.com.au about twelve months ago and I should have grabbed that. My Shopsmith is really great now that I have adapted the larger working surface and I am happy with that. The advantage with the older Shopsmiths is that the problem raised by Doorstop is easily resolved because the motor is an external fitting.
    I will have a look at the Working with Wood show in Sydney in June and see what is new in the market.
    I like the across the ditch handle- Is everything you have wrapped in real wool?
    Thanks again
    Paul

Cool

Sandy,
    Imust thank you again for the ebay/Pages website hint. I have subsequently purchased an extension tale for my ER10 off this site. Cost more than I paid for the machine originally but will do wonders for my modified mitre fence. There are anumber of Shopsmith 10 parts always on the auction site so I will be following it closely. There is an ER10 on there at present for US$600.00 and rising. Thats about A$1100.00 and you could buy 2+ in Sydney for that.
    There is also another guy I found who has a page for Model 10 and makes a full time living out of restoring and selling them.
    population sure creates a market.
    Thanks again
    Paul

A very good site for E--E10--ER10

I hope this link works
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shopsmith10ERusers
    woody

Default Shopsmith

Hi Pen, I have just found this site after searching Google under "Shopsmith"

I notice your entry was in 2002. Are you still interested in following up with the Shopsmith? I bought a Mark V in 1980 and have used in continually since, always impressed with it's versatility.