Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Ok had time to consider your options.

1 Stop buying cheap rubbish and go buy cheaper rubbish

2 a good quality plastic chopping board purchase and cut them out on a scroll saw.

3 Post a link in the CNC section but instead of Alli maybe a plastic

4 A couple of forumites also have strayed into 3d Printers (snowyskiesau/Geoff)

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Bessy clamps

I at this stage only have one Bessy clamp and in future will be only buying theses for small to medium jobs.
    regards
    Chris

just as a thumbs up. these clamps are sold at masters for $28 a lot cheaper than elsewhere.$48 some places....bob

Bob - are Masters selling the genuine Besseys, or the very similar Bressey KrickKramp (China)?? If its the real thing I'll have to go on an expedition to my nearest Masters.

Cheers

Default Bessey KliKlamp CAUTION

Masters definitely sell real besseys. They have the k body in 3 sizes and the klick clamps too. Not sure what sizes. I've never used one, but having read this thread, and working in a basement under artificial light most of the time, I might get one (or two, or three...)

Trav
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

Where are Bessey clamps made these days? I doubt it's anywhere other than China! The Chinese manufacture is acknowledged on everything of theirs that comes in packaging, but not on the stuff that is unpackaged, hmmm.
    Just my two cents worth.

Cool

Building a clamp collection at the mo......had a look at these Klikclamps today in the shop. To be honest i wasn't that impressed...seemed a little light weight (mainly in terms of the feel and the materials in the construction) and they were still $40 something for the 160mm. Walked out with their rapid action clamp instead...it was double the price but I'm convinced it will last at least twice as long and be at least twice as strong (force wise)..... i gave up on buying cheap clamps as they always give me stress (not that i would call the Klikclamps cheap or poor quality but i want to buy it once)

I use the heavy duty Irwin clamps myself. Different design I know but they are the strongest rated clamp I have found. The new ones are even better than mine. I have had one open and inside they are serious gear. No known issues with breakages etc. Pricey but!

What has happened regarding the replacement of triggers via forum members. I have just stumbled upon this thread. Usually only have time for metalwork forum as that is what I am working on currently although I do have a table saw still in its box waiting for a shed cleanup and major rearrangement etc.

Anyway, my take on this trigger is that it could be cast from aluminiun and a flat steel spring fitted at the back. This could be done during the casting provided the temper was not lost, or maybe another bit of steel cast in to attach the spring to after. A bit of action happenning on the Foundry forum lately. As has been mentioned anyone with a cnc mill could machine something.

I hate having to throw away good tools for want of a spare part. Reminds me of a comment I read on the metalwork forum regarding spare parts for a measuring tool. The manufacturer said they don't have spare parts, you will need to buy a new one. Not sure of the price but many hundreds.

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Oldneweng View Post
    Anyway, my take on this trigger is that it could be cast from aluminiun and a flat steel spring fitted at the back. This could be done during the casting provided the temper was not lost, or maybe another bit of steel cast in to attach the spring to after. A bit of action happenning on the Foundry forum lately. As has been mentioned anyone with a cnc mill could machine something.
    Hi Dean,

I haven't given up (yet?) and I am looking at buying a resin casting kit and casting a new trigger with one half of a wishbone leafspring moulded into the trigger and the other half free.
    however it is still SO frustrating that Bessey probably pays a fraction of a cent each and I'm going to buy a casting kit for $50 to cast a half dozen so that I can keep THEIR clamps in use.
    Unfortunately, at this stage, resin casting is job number 73 ahead of me,

fletty

Alan
    a rock is an obsolete tool ......... until you don’t have a hammer!

Quote Originally Posted by fletty View Post
    Hi Dean,

I haven't given up (yet?) and I am looking at buying a resin casting kit and casting a new trigger with one half of a wishbone leafspring moulded into the trigger and the other half free.
    however it is still SO frustrating that Bessey probably pays a fraction of a cent each and I'm going to buy a casting kit for $50 to cast a half dozen so that I can keep THEIR clamps in use.
    Unfortunately, at this stage, resin casting is job number 73 ahead of me,

fletty

Alan
    Saw some in Masters, Mt gambier today and saw what the issue was. I also bought 2 more, longer Irwin trigger clamps while I was there, plus shed loads of other stuff.

I also saw a "Dawn" branded clamp the same style as the Bessey Kliklamp. The release trigger was metal with a plastic bit over it for your finger. This was at a local industrial supply store.

Dean

Thanks Dean,
    I googled the Dawn clamp this morning and it looks a beauty! My 'local distributor" (according to the web page) doesn't carry any stock but, if he had, i would have bought some today!

fletty
    a rock is an obsolete tool ......... until you don’t have a hammer!

Seems to me that these clamps have an inherent design flaw. Having 6 fail in exactly the same manner is indicative of the problem.
    and as such may not be of merchantable quality - tricky argument as they work well at time of purchase but have longevity issues.
    There is an implied condition in all consumer contracts that there will be a reasonable supply of spare parts and/or service facilities - the claim is for damages
    I think it is a bit poor of Bessey not to be able to supply a part
    we are talking about a clamp which costs between $29 and $32 each from Carba-Tec

So Fletty is down $174 and $192, ouch
    Fletty did you contact Bessey Aus or Bessey overseas?

BTW I've a few of these clamps and like them but now will have the nagging feeling in the back of my mind "will they fail this time?" and I clamp up outside
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Hi Fletty, here is a thought...what about getting Brett (Fence Furniture) "The Blood Hound" on your case and start a petition that circulates world wide, to have a go at Bessey to remedy the situation. I am told his tenacity works
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

Quote Originally Posted by chambezio View Post
    Hi Fletty, here is a thought...what about getting Brett (Fence Furniture) "The Blood Hound" on your case and start a petition that circulates world wide, to have a go at Bessey to remedy the situation. I am told his tenacity works
    ...I'll second that... all in favor...AYE

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Or.......not......

Betcha things precious to you that they are made in China. The new(ish) Bessey Toggle Clamps are a miracle of German Engineering but the fact that they are made in the big C shows.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast