Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Shed in the Bunyas

My Shed: The Box !

In shipping parlance containers are known as 'boxes'. My shed is a box.

I live fairly remote, 20klm to the pub, 50 klm to the shops. The Box has to serve in a number of roles, store, maintenance workshop, garage, and (now that it is setup finally) woodwork.

Because of its limited size everything has a place and everything is (mostly) kept in that place.

If you 'right-click' on these images and select 'view-image, you should get a much larger view with a magnifying glass.

First I have to get the Bush-Pig out before I can even get in .... Haaaaa

There are no posts, and nothing is ever kept on the floor. This allows free movement and also I can get 6m lengths of steel into and out of the box, and work on them on the benches.

All the power and powerboards I ran under the main bench so there are no leads to get tangled up while working.

I made a catenary out of a rope which I tautened inside across the long length of the box. I used an old tomato stake to cut up for the guides. Haa ..... There is nothing flash about the box. It is really just made from angle-iron, MDF, and the ubiquitous tec-screw. (that fix all for anything ..haaa)

The Power Tool Store.

The Main Workbench .........

more .......

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

This is my homemade 'Milling Machine .... I couldn't affors a CNC Miller, haaaa ....

The base is made from a couple of old double door mag-locks. The magnets almost never fail in these, only the small electronic section gives trouble. They are not worth repairing, they are just swapped out with a new one when they play up.

I kept two because the magnets still work. I fitted them into the bench top and got them in perfect alignment by the simple process of laying the armatures (steel plates) across them and powering them up. Then I just welded up the box tubing around them.

They are only 12v and each mag can hold 450kg. (2 tonne in total) So I surfaced them by drawing a file back and forth 25million times. Then I bolted the Armature plates to the bottom of the vises and surface ground them as well. Same process. Drove me nuts.

The parrot vise and cross travel vise are from Carbatec and I think only cost about 200 bucks together. I had to pull the chinese cross-traverse vise apart and re-set it up to take out all the backlash. But is good now.

I hope to mount the milling head in the parrot vise which can spin in the x-y axis, and the 'job' will go on a pivoting plate (yet to be made x-y-z axis)) that I can align and lock to within one minute of arc of one degree. (My clinometer is in bloody imperial ... but hardly its fault as it was made in 1918 ... so funny)

There is a stop button to release the mags and I have wired a garage door remote fob to activate. That way, while I am positioning the vises i can just press the fob and their locked in.

This CNC-Hand-Operated-Miller has yet to be battle tested .... haaaa

All up the whole thing cost just over 200 bucks. Its main task is (hopefully) to machine mirror-image compound curves by simply spinning the 'job' 180 degrees and re-traversing the cross travels. This may be a pipe dream to far .... haaa

Hope you liked .... I know its just a bush-mechanic workshop .... But the views are spectacular.

Cool bananas ... Greg

Neat set-up Greg, great lifestyle would suit me to a T

Quote Originally Posted by shedbound View Post
    Neat set-up Greg, great lifestyle would suit me to a T
    Thank you for kind words. I lived in this container for 18mths while I was building the Shack. (the shack was built by a professional builder, .. I just helped .. I also got to drive the bulldozer .... Haahaa)

Here is a 3 minute sped up video of my shack from untouched-bush to finished product. Hope you like ...

The Shack in the Bunyas

cool bananas ... Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Mutawintji View Post
    Thank you for kind words. I lived in this container for 18mths while I was building the Shack. (the shack was built by a professional builder, .. I just helped .. I also got to drive the bulldozer .... Haahaa)

Here is a 3 minute sped up video of my shack from untouched-bush to finished product. Hope you like ...

The Shack in the Bunyas

cool bananas ... Greg
    AWESOMEmust be so tranquil, though I thought you might have incorporated a fire pit in there somehow

Greg it may just be a shipping container but its still impressive. I love your wall of tools and how organized it is. The milling machine is very ingenious as well. Look forward to seeing your results with it. Great view you have! Bret

Thumbs up

Great use of space Greg!! An abject lesson for all of us!!!

Funny thing though - not a Bunya in sight!!

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Great use of space Greg!! An abject lesson for all of us!!!

Funny thing though - not a Bunya in sight!!
    Actually ... now that you mention it .... there aren't ??

There are 1000s here but I don't seem to have photographed one. They nut every 3 years or so. Last year was 'the' year and I got one, which I have a photo of somewhere that weighed nearly 10kg. Good eating !!

Thanx mate ... greg

Looks like a great spot greg. I watched your video, nice place you have in a beautiful location.
    What I really like though is the ramp you use to get the bush pig out, its in the third pic.

Cheers

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by mattocks View Post
    Looks like a great spot greg. I watched your video, nice place you have in a beautiful location.
    What I really like though is the ramp you use to get the bush pig out, its in the third pic.

Cheers

Frank
    HaaHaa ..... I am so lazy. If you look in the 7th pick down, far right hand corner, on shelf under bench there is actually a set of ramps.

cool bananas ... Greg

Exclamation

Silent and deadly missiles if they fall from a height are Bunya cones,
    and yes they are good eating. Aboriginal tribes would gather in the
    Bunya groves and camp there right next t a great food source.

Amongst my favourite trees. I love their distinctive profile.

Silent and deadly missiles if they fall from a height are Bunya cones,
    and yes they are good eating. Aboriginal tribes would gather in the
    Bunya groves and camp there right next t a great food source.

Amongst my favourite trees. I love their distinctive profile.
    I knew I had a photo somewhere ... just found it. I love just making a thermos of coffee and taking the liddle bush pig off into the bush somewhere ... and sit there just thinkin. ..... the missus calls it RIp-Van-Winkling ... HaaHaa.

But last year had to be so careful ... at first I thought a tree was falling, but it was the Bunya nuts crashin down ... and they don't just fall straight down .. their own branches are springy and they can shoot the nuts off like a sling shot .. the bunya nuts can come at you from any direction .... very scary.

I made a great Thai-Fusion Bunya Nut curry from this one .... HaaHaa

Greg

That's just great. Incredible work and thought went into that.

Thumbs up

Maaaaaaaate!!! Those photos are enough to gladden a man's heart!!

Maaaaaaaate!!! Those photos are enough to gladden a man's heart!!
    Haa ... If they nut in 2 years I'll send you some.

thanx for very kind words peoples. After seeing the workbenchs and quality that is put into making them on this forum I was a bit shy of posting my shed.

ta for the welcome ... Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast