Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Jack Brabham's Formula 1, BT19.

The BT19

In 1966 two young Australians, conceived, designed, and built a Formula 1 race car, and with the help of REPCO, (Replacement parts Company ... Australian) who built the V8 engine..... They drove it to the World Championship and won .. and won .. and won. They won the World Championship for 1966 and bought it home to Australia..

They beat the big names, Ferrari, BRM, Lotus, Cooper-Maserati and others on a very small budget.

Jack Brabham became the first person to win an F1 Championship in a vehicle bearing his own name. No one had ever done this before, and no one will ever do it again.

Jack Brabham and Ron Tauranac

If you right-click on these images and select view-image you should get a much bigger photo.

Hi Peoples ... this is gunna be a very slow WIP.

My first attempt was a liddle boat, and having got carried away in the madness of the moment, I decided to make this my second. This could be a total-failure, well beyond my ability. However, I won't know unless I try .... HaaaHaa.

After scouring the internet I eventually found some line drawings.

I made the boat out of a timber called Amoora, beautiful, plain to look at, hard, understated and neutral in its grain. I didn't want the beauty of the timber overpowering the finished object.

So ... what worked once will serve again I hope. I couldn't get any 6x4 (100x120mm) Amoora. But eventually I found a place that had it in 8x2 (200x50mm) so there was nothing for it but to laminate it up.

Then cut out the basic shape, overall, of the vehicle. I borrowed a band saw to do this.

more ... to come

Greg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have a front row seat

Having got that far, I didn't really know where to start next. I decided that the engine would be the easiest. And if I could do that, then maybe I could do the rest.

The engine I am hoping to copy !

I cut out the block and head components.

I then epoxied them up. I only use marine epoxy, no glues. It takes 24hrs to dry and 72 hours to total cure. Slow, but strong, and very forgiving, as it prefers loose joints to tight ones. Tight joints cause it to suffer from epoxy-starvation.

I am building the engine as a V16 ... later it will be cut in half to form 2 x V8s. One will go inside the vehicle, the worst one, and the other will be displayed.

Here it is, drilled for sparkplugs, fuel injectors and rocker covers beside it, not yet fitted.

more ... to come ...

Greg

oopps I forgot to put in these pictures to give you some idea of scale. It will work out about 1/6 scale I tink ?

I photocopied the line drawings up to scale size.

It will be about 650mm overall (nearly 3' ?)

more ...

Greg

I cut out a paper pattern of the front of the real engine block and used it to assemble the wood to size.

I have been having a hard time deciding on the angle of the fuel injectors.

These ones may survive ... but at the moment I think the angle is too sharp, and there is no room to bring the fuel line and injector in perpendicular. I may have to scrap these.

Also, I am thinking of using MIG wire (stainless) for the spark leads and the fuel lines. What do you think. All the brass on this model will be silver chromed ... I am tired of it tarnishing.

Scale reference

cool bananas ... Greg

Very impressed,
    Will be watching with interest.
    Haven't tried a scale from a drawing yet so I'm interested in your process.
    Friend of mine wants me to make a panelvan for him and I'v only done things from plans before.
    But it's looking great already.

Thumbs up

I am watching and I am impressed!!!

I am gonna follow this with so much attention you can't believe it...

A scratch-built F1 car from the century when they were best looking!

I think the way you are going is the correct one. Step by step, considering every piece seperately.

As far as your questions if you should use these injectors, if you think they are ok, use them. If you think they are not, make new ones. They will be visible, and you will always have that voice in the back of your head: you should have made them different.

It is not a race to the finish. I am very impressed by your results.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Bother I'm in the back row, BUT the view is still very good and quite impressive from what I've seen already...
    Keep it coming Greg....slow is okay.
    cheers, crowie

Greg this is just fantastic! I have a front row seat and will be waiting with anticipation for each installment. I understand you wanting to chrome the brass but how will you accomplish that? Im curious on the process. Love the fact that you are working from a photo. Keep the pics coming. Bret

I don't know where my seat is, front row or up the back, but I am liking what I see.
    Great work so far Greg, keep up the effort, I'm sure you will succeed. This era is my favourite one of all the F1 periods, even though the cars of today are much safer they just don't have the charisma of the cars from this era.
    As the others have said it's a great project and you have it heading in the right direction.
    Looking forward to the finished job.

Cheers, Ian
    "The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done.
    If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run.
    And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"

Quote Originally Posted by _fly_ View Post
    Very impressed,
    Will be watching with interest.
    Haven't tried a scale from a drawing yet so I'm interested in your process.
    Friend of mine wants me to make a panelvan for him and I'v only done things from plans before.
    But it's looking great already.
    Thanx for kind words. Here is a good site that has line drawings for most vehicles.

With these lines, plus heaps of photos from google I just worked out all the measurements to scale.

Line Drawings

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Pogo02 View Post
    I am gonna follow this with so much attention you can't believe it...

A scratch-built F1 car from the century when they were best looking!

I think the way you are going is the correct one. Step by step, considering every piece seperately.

As far as your questions if you should use these injectors, if you think they are ok, use them. If you think they are not, make new ones. They will be visible, and you will always have that voice in the back of your head: you should have made them different.

It is not a race to the finish. I am very impressed by your results.

Wow .... thanx for that encouragement ... I needed ... cuz I know this is gunna go slow. If your gunna stay to the finish, you'll need lots of popcorn and drinks .... HaaHaa

Thanx mate ....

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    Greg this is just fantastic! I have a front row seat and will be waiting with anticipation for each installment. I understand you wanting to chrome the brass but how will you accomplish that? Im curious on the process. Love the fact that you are working from a photo. Keep the pics coming. Bret
    Hi Bret ....

Well ... the chroming iz a bit of a problem. I can just get them normal chrome plated ... which will tarnish eventually. Or I can get them 'rhodium' plated (white gold .. and twice as expensive) which will never tarnish. But this very expensive .. and some parts need to be done prior to others or they will hold up the assembly.

I don't really know yet how I am gunna build the car ... so mostly just gunna try an finish of the two engines first ... and cross each bridge after that when i get to them ... HaaHaa

greg

Quote Originally Posted by Nanigai View Post
    Great work so far Greg, keep up the effort, I'm sure you will succeed. This era is my favourite one of all the F1 periods, even though the cars of today are much safer they just don't have the charisma of the cars from this era.
    Thanx Ian.

Greg

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast