Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Why do you want an 'on-board' preamp?

What are you going to plug it in to?
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    Why do you want an 'on-board' preamp?

What are you going to plug it in to?
    It just saves having a preamp in a separate box. A piezo pickup doesn't have enough output for a standard amp input, without boosting it first. A magnetic pickup has a higher amplitude, lower impedance output signal. The volume/tone controls are just a bonus.

I could buy something like this Fishman SONITONE Undersaddle Pickup W/On Board Preamp System For Acoustic Guitar-in Guitar Parts & Accessories from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com , as fitted to this Martin DRS1 Dreadnought Acoustic - Electric Guitar Fishman Sonitone pickup | eBay , (the volume and tone controls in this are accessible through the sound hole), but would prefer to build everything myself, a 100% home-made guitar, except for the bits that I feel should be bought ready-made like machineheads.
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    ...A piezo pickup doesn't have enough output for a standard amp input, without boosting it first. .....
    OK, what are you calling a 'standard' amp?

A guitar amp or your home stereo?

Most of the home made CBGs I have seen on the internet using piezo pickups plug straight into a guitar amp.

Older guitar amps had 2 inputs, one has a higher impedance than the other.

The new ones usually have a knob called 'Drive' & that is just a volume control on the preamp.

If you want to plug straight into a sound desk, then you will need a preamp.

Artec have a heap of little onboard stuff, I'll find their site.]
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

OK, what are you calling a 'standard' amp?

A guitar amp or your home stereo?

Most of the home made CBGs I have seen on the internet using piezo pickups plug straight into a guitar amp.

Older guitar amps had 2 inputs, one has a higher impedance than the other.

The new ones usually have a knob called 'Drive' & that is just a volume control on the preamp.

If you want to plug straight into a sound desk, then you will need a preamp.

Artec have a heap of little onboard stuff, I'll find their site.]

Home stereo etc. I'm only building this to play at home. I might build (or buy) an amp in the future, but not right now.
    I haven't played for about 30 years, so don't have a guitar amp any more.
    I used to have one of these, a relic now, but it's long gone:

Musicman 60W Amp.jpg

Sorry, Cliff, I should have mentioned it was a home stereo amp and not a 'real' guitar amp.
    ... Steve

Thanks heaps for all of those links, Cliff. I was going to build my own from a schematic, but after a look at these, I'll do a back-flip and use a ready-made one, this one: Artec AB1 Piezo Pickup Booster On Board Circuit | eBay . (I just bought one, AU$28.58 delivered.)

The only downside is that it's made up of SMD components, so I probably can't modify it, but I'll assume I won't need/want to.

I've saved all of the links for reference, including a copy of the Artec magnetic pickup wiring diagram book. It looks quite handy.

The Suntek units look OK for the price, too, at US$15.60 and US$7.35, with free shipping. I think they're passive, whereas I want an active circuit.

Thanks again for your help, mate. I appreciate it.

I've been shaping the soundboard today. Almost got the concave inside finished, with a 3mm arch at the deepest point under the bridge. I'll make a start on the outside tonight.
    ... Steve

The Suntek units look OK for the price, too, at US$15.60 and US$7.35, with free shipping. I think they're passive, whereas I want an active circuit.....
    The 'expensive' one is active, (even comes with a battery included) the cheap one is passive.
    Cliff.

The 'expensive' one is active, (even comes with a battery included) the cheap one is passive.
    Right. Actually, I didn't look too closely at that one, since it had a front panel that would have needed to be removed/replaced to fit my build, plus I didn't really need a 5-band EQ. That's getting a little too fancy for this beast. I can do that at the amp if I really have to. The Artec one is just what I was after. Thanks for the help.

I did keep links to the Suntek ones, though, and might buy one in the future.
    When I eventually get to that stage, I'll post feedback on how well the Artec one works.

On the build, I had nothing to measure thickness in the middle of the soundboard, so spent the last hour making a caliper with 5" of reach. Didn't need it shaping the inside, just lay a straight-edge across, but without one for the outside I could easily go too thin or right through.
    ... Steve

Check out the other stuff they have too.
    It is dirt cheap, just the shot for CBG builds.

Electronics store, Electronic products - SuntekStore
    Cliff.

Check out the other stuff they have too.
    It is dirt cheap, just the shot for CBG builds.

Electronics store, Electronic products - SuntekStore
    Before I even look beyond the first page, those USB to TTL converters are cheaper than I've seen them elsewhere, at US$4.34. I have heaps of uses for them, but only a couple left. (One communicates with my bedside alarm clock, keeping it synced with the PC's time/date. Never need to adjust the clock, even when daylight savings begins and ends. The clock has a built-in RTC module for when the PC is turned off.)

I'll have to check them out whenever I'm doing one of my electronic projects.

As you mention, a good range of audio stuff, too, like this: USB Powered Dual Channel Mini Digital Amplifier Board - Free Shipping

An acoustic guitar pickguard for US$1.91 as well. Pretty hard to beat!

They're definitely bookmarked in my shopping folder now.
    I'll have to go through and have a real good look later. Only on page 2 so far

Thanks for pointing the way, mate. Beats endless eBay searching.

Also fretwire, pickups, roller string retainers, capos, bridge pins, labelled tone and volume knobs, 6 x guitar tuners for US$10.98. The list goes on and on.....
    ... Steve

Just be careful with the guitar tuners.... some of them don't have the retain screws & you can't just nip down to the local hardware & find screws that small.
    Cliff.

Just be careful with the guitar tuners.... some of them don't have the retain screws & you can't just nip down to the local hardware & find screws that small.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

I searched high and low for a close supplier of (black) screws for my truss rod cover but didn't find any, so I'll have to buy them from 'AllParts', or go with zinc plated ones. I emailed 'Scrooz' a couple of weeks ago, but got no response. I'm sitting on my hands on that one, since I don't need anything else from AllParts at the moment.

I'm right for tuners and their screws for this build, I've got a set of Grover 6-in-line Mini Rotomatics.
    ... Steve

...I searched high and low for a close supplier of (black) screws for my truss rod cover but didn't find any, ...
    How many do you need?

I think I have a packet of 100 screws to suit tuners & a pack of 30 to suit pick guards.
    I'll check tonight.
    Cliff.

I've bought bits from this bloke too, he is in Innisfail, just down the road about 70Kms from me.
    He doesn't have any black ones up for sale at present.
    hensbottomandassociates items - Get great deals on MUSIC SHOP Stuff, ELECTRIC GUITAR Hardware items on eBay Stores!
    Cliff.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast