Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    How many do you need?

I think I have a packet of 100 screws to suit tuners & a pack of 30 to suit pick guards.
    I'll check tonight.
    Black ones? I only need 3.
    (I made the truss rod cover early on. It was the only bit I was confident about. )

ai2. Truss Rod Cover.JPG
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I've got black ones I am sure.

What size? Tuner screw size or Pick Guard size?

On normal electric guitars, the Truss Rod Cover Screws are the same as the Pick Guard.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

I've got black ones I am sure.

What size? Tuner screw size or Pick Guard size?

On normal electric guitars, the Truss Rod Cover Screws are the same as the Pick Guard.
    I was thinking tuner screw size, but they are pretty short, looking at the zinc-plated ones that I have, so maybe pick guard size would be better. I can easily drill the holes in the cover a bit larger if needed. They're currently 2.5mm dia.

N.B. I've save your link to Hensbottom & Assoc. Can't have too many potential suppliers. Thanks.
    ... Steve

I'll stick some in an envelope.

I'll send some of each & don't worry about the cost, the stamp will cost more than the screws did.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Default Thanks

I'll stick some in an envelope.

I'll send some of each & don't worry about the cost, the stamp will cost more than the screws did.
    Thank you very much, Cliff, I really appreciate it.

I just replied to your PM with postal details.

Back to my soundboard shaping .....
    ... Steve

Default Soundboard bracing question

I have a question regarding soundboard bracing. Is it best to go with the same timber as the soundboard itself, Camphor Laurel in this case, or would a harder, denser timber be better, like QLD Maple or even something harder and stiffer like Jarrah?

I don't want to damp the vibrations more than necessary, especially since my bridge will be toward the rear of the body, 1/4 of the body length from the back, but don't want the soundboard to sag under string pressure, either.

The bracing will be an 'X' shape, probably without a bridge plate because the strings will be anchored through the very back of the body where it's solid, and the peak of the arch will be directly below the bridge and between the legs of the 'X'. No tone bars planned at this stage.

I'd be grateful for any advice on this.
    ... Steve

I've never bothered to brace a cigar box sorry no idea.
    But the guy to get the little screws off (along with your fretwire and budget tuners) is Ben gitty, the guy who runs cigar box nation..

Quote Originally Posted by Jef Long View Post
    I've never bothered to brace a cigar box sorry no idea.
    But the guy to get the little screws off (along with your fretwire and budget tuners) is Ben gitty, the guy who runs cigar box nation..
    Thanks, Jef, I'll keep CBGitty in mind for my next build. Right now, I need no other parts, so it's not worth ordering them alone from the US.

I'm pretty sure I need bracing on this, being Camphor Laurel and so thin, 3mm at the thinnest point, but I think I'll just go with Camphor Laurel braces at this stage, unless someone recommends that I go with something harder. I'm just on finished shaping the front, only a little to go. Where the bridge will go, with a fair bit of pressure it moves about 0.5mm to 1mm, then feels reasonably solid, but I'll brace to be sure. A bit nervous on this point. Just a simple 'X' brace, as mentioned earlier.

My pickup, nut and saddle blank arrived today, so it's almost assembly time. The pickup is Artec, I noticed, same as the preamp.

I'll post update pics shortly, showing the mini arch shape.
    ... Steve

Default Soundboard Shape

A couple of shots of the 'arch'. I gave it a deep dish under the bridge, tapering off to almost none at the neck end. Pretty blurry, my camera didn't like the lighting: -

Top, side view:
    a. Top - Side View.jpg

Top, bridge end view:
    b. Top - Bridge End View.jpg

Underside, bridge end view:
    (The arch isn't quite as deep as it looks in these two pics, that's just the lighting.)
    c. Bottom - Bridge End View.jpg

Underside, neck end view:
    d. Bottom - Neck End View.jpg

After reading your reply, Jef, I'm beginning to wonder if I do need to brace. Stems from not knowing what I'm doing. If I hold it up by the centre of the neck end and tap it with a finger where the bridge will be mounted, it rings really nicely. I'd hate to lose that. I don't know, now. I could test it under working pressure for sag using bathroom scales if I knew how much pressure will be applied by the strings at the bridge.
    ... Steve

Will this be a closed box or will it have hinges & be able to be opened?

If it has hinges, try it with out the bracing & add it later if needs it.

Your screws will be in the mail tomorrow.
    Cliff.

Will this be a closed box or will it have hinges & be able to be opened?
    If it has hinges, try it with out the bracing & add it later if needs it.

Hinges, with the lid at the back, to change strings and access the electronics (and now, for adding braces).

You've got it.
    It's a neck-thru, but I'll leave room between neck and soundboard to add braces later if needed. The ringing when I tap it goes for a good 250mS to 300mS, at a rough guess, and I don't want to kill that.

I just did some hurried searching and found an article,( http://www.nievedunor.com/Articulos%...8_acoustuk.pdf , under the heading 'Sounds'), that says that on an archtop guitar, the string pressure at the bridge is roughly 50lbs.

Allowing for my (too) low break angle and the light strings, 10-46, that I'll use, I'll guess that the pressure will be nearer to 25 or 30lbs or even less. When I put about that much pressure on the point where the bridge will mount with bathroom scales, there's no sign of sagging, just roughly 0.5mm of 'settling', so I'll take the chance.

Your screws will be in the mail tomorrow.
    Wonderful, thanks very much for that, Cliff. I appreciate it heaps.
    ... Steve

Default Soundboard Neck Cutout

I did the neck cutout for the soundboard this morning. I made sure I left plenty of room for braces, in case I have to add them later.
    The short piece of neck behind the soundboard will be cut off flush with the body. In the third pic, although it doesn't look like it, the fretboard sits about 4mm proud of the soundboard.

bj. Neck Cutout - Side view.jpg bk. Soundboard Test Fit in Neck Cutout.jpg bl. Soundboard Test Fit with Fretboard.jpg

Next up is the cutout in the body for the neck.
    ... Steve

looking good steve.
    will be as nice as your other stuff when your finished.
    Keeping this one? or is someone else having a birthday soon?
    Mine in August if that helps.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by _fly_ View Post
    looking good steve.
    will be as nice as your other stuff when your finished.
    Keeping this one? or is someone else having a birthday soon?
    Mine in August if that helps.
    Peter
    Thanks Peter, I appreciate the kind words.
    Yep, I'm keeping this one. (Sorry.) I've been making all of this other stuff for everyone but myself, so this is my birthday gift to me, 15th of next month. If I pull my finger out I'll get there, but will probably be a week late like I was for Jack's birthday with the '28 Roadster. I have to learn to work a bit faster.

I have a heap of other stuff sitting here that needs a home - boxes, a kids scrollsaw animal puzzle, the padlock and a few others.
    Fancy a heart-shaped jewellery box?
    ... Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Thanks Peter, I appreciate the kind words.
    Yep, I'm keeping this one. (Sorry.) I've been making all of this other stuff for everyone but myself, so this is my birthday gift to me, 15th of next month. If I pull my finger out I'll get there, but will probably be a week late like I was for Jack's birthday with the '28 Roadster. I have to learn to work a bit faster.

I have a heap of other stuff sitting here that needs a home - boxes, a kids scrollsaw animal puzzle, the padlock and a few others.
    Fancy a heart-shaped jewellery box?
    well happy birthday for next month Steve.
    I need to get started on a Noah's ark with scrollsaw animals for my niece that is going to spit a skull in 10 weeks.
    Need to knock out some pens for the 13 yr old to give to her friends at school.
    I have a half finished chessboard I need to do.
    A mobile chopping board trolley thats 1/4 done.
    I still have the SG kit I got off ebay for 99 bucks to do..
    Just never enough time.
    Pete