Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: The D4 dinghy

Default The D4 dinghy

After spending hours searching,I've come to the conclusion that the free plans for the D4 are no longer available.They now have the D5,,at a cost

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default D5 is available free

Figured I'd make my first post a helpful one. D5 plans are here- http://www.bateau2.com/free/D5_free_m.PDF

Quote Originally Posted by HELLICONIA54 View Post
    After spending hours searching,I've come to the conclusion that the free plans for the D4 are no longer available.They now have the D5,,at a cost

I hope the new plans have corrected the dimensions of the bottom panels, which were about 2 inches too short.

A friend explained how he painstakingly grfted additional material onto his bottom panels.

I just riped the transom out and cut 2 inches from the rear of the side panels and ended up with a shortened boat.

It is a good and useful design - I miss mine now, maybe I should build another one.
    Charter boat? What charter boat!?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hubbard View Post
    Figured I'd make my first post a helpful one. D5 plans are here- http://www.bateau2.com/free/D5_free_m.PDF
    Thank you for that.

Default Tha D4 Dinghy

Mate,

Look at Ross Lillistone's "Alby".He designed it for me as a stable tender for a wooden carvel cabin cruiser I had at the time & I built the first one & converted it to sailing version.A great little boat.

The D4 is an old design & had a few problems for inexperienced builders.The D5 is better I'm told but I've not seen one.

I Like Mertens' designs,having built his 11' G11 planing outboard dinghy some years ago & it was a delightful little fishing dinghy.

Alby goes together with no problems & Ross' plans are beautifully draw & detailed, with unlimited back-up from Ross during the build.

It is a much more stable design than D4 or 5 & I can tell you sails exceptionally well for such a small boat if you are looking for a sailing version.Look at my remarks on Ross' site or on Duckworks site.

Ross can be found at: baysidewoodenboats.com .au

He lives in Esk Qld & runs a successful design & boat building business there.

He is also a top bloke.Tell him "Al sent you"!

Al Burke

Thank you for the info.Will check it out.I have the plans for the D5,At the time,i wanted to build a nice "classic looking" dinghy.I have also bought the book/plans for the Heidi skiff.I want something to take to 2015 Goolwa wooden boat fest.This Alby might be perfect for a friend of mine.Thank you again.

Default D4 dinghy

See you at Goolwah,after Hobart!

I'm just starting an Iain Oughtred "Shearwater".There were two examples at Hobart this year & they look so much better in the flesh than in pictures.

Good luck.

Al.