Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Woodworking TV Show

I have just been approached to draw up some programming Ideas for a possible new TV Show.
    About, you guested it, Woodworking. Long overdue in my book.

I am seeking feedback of what others with woodworking interests (OK, Obsession) would want to see in a show.

Here are some thoughts to get your mind going.

1. General Woodworking Techniques, with some mid range plans and builds
    2. Advanced Woodworking Master Classes covering in-depth procedures and Plans.
    3. Furniture and or Project Builds from Start to finish
    4. A broader show covering more aspects of Shed life. i.e woodwork, General Handyman Tasks, Safety, Shop Jigs etc.
    5. Furniture Restoration from woe to go on different pieces.
    6. Marquetry and other decorative woodworking disciplines.
    7. How to use Tools to best advantage.
    8. Focus on Hand Tools
    9. Focus on Power and Machine Tools
    10. Tools in General
    12. Interviews with Other Woodworkers
    13. Tours of Peoples Workshops, looking into their styles and preferred methods of work.
    14. All of the above?

All suggestions most welcome and will be taken into serious consideration.

Will share more details about where and when as they come to hand.

Many Thanks we look forward to your input.

Cheers

Steve

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Sounds like a very good idea. it would be nice to see an Aussie perspective and Aussie timber.
    Will you be blowing things up as well?
    Cheers, Bill

Perhaps visits to the factory/workshop of some of the classy furniture makers. eg; Christian Cole in Melb.
    There are many others of course as we have seen in woodwork magazines.
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

Regarding numbers 1 & 2 on your list, perhaps also online access to plans covered in the program?
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

from tree to finished product, urban milling, recycling pallets, green woodworking
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they
    bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs .

CNC is sadly lacking in information anywhere.
    Every day is better than yesterday

Cheers
    SAISAY

I think I'd like to see something of quality from an Australian perspective. The US have a wonderful heritage of craftsmanship to base their woodworking shows on. It's not clear where we would gain our own inspirations.

I don't want to see anything in the league of current home renovations TV shows. I don't want to see 60 minute makeovers, flat pack, caulking guns or purple paint schemes. I'd like to see a series that could be viewed on several levels, maybe like Grand Designs where there is a general interest level and an inspirational level if you have the desire or ability to attempt something yourself.

I can imagine a series that focuses on individual pieces, introducing them in a historical perspective or as a current designer and follow the piece through construction or reproduction in historical context. This would introduce people to attainable skills andm aybe find an Australian version of say a Roy Underhill.

I think the majority of our colonial furniture is now too heavy and out of context to current lifestyles to have a crack at reproducing, but there are some delightful Georgian pieces that could be reproduced such as Woodwould has demonstrated. Perhaps a show could source a few items from say Old Government House and Experimental farm in Parramatta and show their history and how they might have been constructed. Then one could move through all types of Australian content picking out artists and artisans reproducing their furniture or craft along the way up to and including modern makers.

Fuzzie,
    We've been making furniture for 200 years. We got started as soon as we could. Everything from Jimmy Possum to high style Cedar built by craftsmen with the old world skills and sensibilitys.
    Cheers, Bill

Default Great dea

Great idea. If there will be ads or sponsorship then it will need to be aimed at people who may become interested in those products.

Some info on how to do basic repairs to existing items with basic tools may be handy - chairs, bookshelves, cutting boards often need attention - 'good enough' rather than perfect work will help draw people in. Provide a mix of people doing hands on stuff - kids, women, old folks, etc.

Good luck.

I particularly enjoyed the format and presentation style used in The Milton Workshop which I saw as a 6-part (?) series on Foxtel some years (3 or 4 ?) back. They used aussie timbers, showed/demonstrated a range of skills with machine, power and handtools.

No site visits or exploring the shed as such, not much on finish from what I recall, mainly builds.

It's worth a look, even if just to see what has been done by others.

edit: Found a youtube version.
    Milton Woodshop - YouTube
    Last edited by dabbler; 8th April 2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added url

Quote Originally Posted by Ball Peen View Post
    Sounds like a very good idea. it would be nice to see an Aussie perspective and Aussie timber.
    Will you be blowing things up as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesand View Post
    Perhaps visits to the factory/workshop of some of the classy furniture makers. eg; Christian Cole in Melb.
    There are many others of course as we have seen in woodwork magazines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Regarding numbers 1 & 2 on your list, perhaps also online access to plans covered in the program?

Firstly thanks for the quick responses. Please keep them coming as this feedback will have a great bearing on the content and format of the Show.

Thanks Ball Peen, that's the idea Aussie Content, Aussie Timbers, Aussie Hosts as far a Blowing things up i'll check with the OH&S Dept first.

Chesand. I agree it would be good if we can get granted access to other people workshops there surly is a wealth of knowledge just waiting to be absorbed.

Hermit, that is one thing we are also looking at to link with a website for expanded footage and information regarding topics/projects discussed.

Cheers

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by fubar View Post
    from tree to finished product, urban milling, recycling pallets, green woodworking
    Quote Originally Posted by SAISAY View Post
    CNC is sadly lacking in information anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzie View Post
    I think I'd like to see something of quality from an Australian perspective. The US have a wonderful heritage of craftsmanship to base their woodworking shows on. It's not clear where we would gain our own inspirations.
    Fubar, Again, great Idea to show from sourcing timber whether in the ground (upright) fallen over in storm or on rubbish tip to finished project.
    Saisay, That's an area we had not considered..until now.

Fuzzie, A quality show is what we are after and not a rehash of the home improvement genre. More for the keen enthusiast. As far a talent goes I believe we have enough inspirational makers and woodworkers beavering away to not get boring or repetitive.

Again Thanks to all and please keep the input and ideas coming.

Cheers

Steve

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Quote Originally Posted by fineboxes View Post
    Here are some thoughts to get your mind going.

1. General Woodworking Techniques, with some mid range plans and builds
    2. Advanced Woodworking Master Classes covering in-depth procedures and Plans.
    3. Furniture and or Project Builds from Start to finish
    4. A broader show covering more aspects of Shed life. i.e woodwork, General Handyman Tasks, Safety, Shop Jigs etc.
    5. Furniture Restoration from woe to go on different pieces.
    6. Marquetry and other decorative woodworking disciplines.
    7. How to use Tools to best advantage.
    8. Focus on Hand Tools
    9. Focus on Power and Machine Tools
    10. Tools in General
    12. Interviews with Other Woodworkers
    13. Tours of Peoples Workshops, looking into their styles and preferred methods of work.
    14. All of the above?
    G'day Steve

I'd suggest that you turn that, and any other ideas into a Poll, because I think you'd get a helluva lot more responses, for two reasons: quick and easy, don't have to type anything; and also because it will appear as a Poll in the index, and that would attract more viewers.

Other than that, it's a wonderful idea which I think will rate well.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

I would not like to see a presenter with a big ego. That Kevin Mcloud is the type I would not like to see! Yes I agree with being "Australian" as long as its not done over board. Something along the lines of Norm and the Yankee Workshop. He did on some occasions go to museums and antique stores and found subjects to rework and modernise.
    It would be good to see workshops and what the blokes do with them. I think its a great idea. The idea of "Tool Time" as a show I thought was a good one. Yeh OK Tim was over the top but an Al type of presenter would be watchable (everyone loves AL . You get what I mean as they featured some car projects as well as furniture and pergolas and patios.
    Years ago, and I mean years ago Knock and Kirby had a half hour show on Saturday afternoons where the presenter would review tools and what they could do. He was a dear old chap, his surname was Waugh.
    A problem that this type of show runs into is time. There have been a few shows over the years that have had good content but rushed through leaving the audience with a heap of questions.
    But why stop at woodworking? The metal men need the same sort of show with welding, fabricating, turning/milling etc. Even a project of building a steam engine or the like.
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

I think you will find that you will need to appeal to multiple audiences in the one program so having small segments / segways are going to keep people who want to be inspired fed with things they can actually do, whilst keep the people who know what they are doing learning at the same time without turning off.

Short bits like having a craftsman of the week doing 5 minutes on the tips they have for getting the best out of a particular tool or projects that can be finished in a weekend or doing things with a minimal setup would be good for the novices / people who want to get building things without sawing off more than they can chew.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast