Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Nut Files Question

Hi,

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm currently fixing up an old Yamaha Pacifica. I'd like to have a go at the setup myself but I don't have any nut files.

I've been doing a bit of research into nut files but I'm a bit unclear as to what the best option would be when it comes to buying a set. I'd definitely like to setup more guitars in the future, including acoustics (but probably not basses) so I'm after something that's versatile.

Is it necessary (or better?) to get a specific set of nut files for each different set of string gauges, or can a standard set of files (say, 10-46) be used for lighter and heavier gauges? On the Pacifica I use 09-42s but I also use heavier sets on other guitars.

Cheers,

Chris

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by cpsmusic View Post
    Hi,

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm currently fixing up an old Yamaha Pacifica. I'd like to have a go at the setup myself but I don't have any nut files.

I've been doing a bit of research into nut files but I'm a bit unclear as to what the best option would be when it comes to buying a set. I'd definitely like to setup more guitars in the future, including acoustics (but probably not basses) so I'm after something that's versatile.

Is it necessary (or better?) to get a specific set of nut files for each different set of string gauges, or can a standard set of files (say, 10-46) be used for lighter and heavier gauges? On the Pacifica I use 09-42s but I also use heavier sets on other guitars.

Cheers,

Chris
    Chris,

Nut files are a substantial investment for a part timer (which is what I'm assuming from your post). You can devise an alternative by making a fine cut at each string down to the depth you require, then make the round by rubbing each string (offcut) in their respective cuts. A long while ago, I made a simple tool for the purpose, which will give you an idea if you don't want to buy nut files.

I don't know where that tool is now, but it was small saw frame (something like a coping saw) where you fixed one end of the string and wound the other end on a machine end or tuner. Not as fast as nut files but it worked well, and cost nothing.

I have the first 4 of these.
    STEWMAC.COM : Double-edge Nut Files

And the .010" (.25mm) one of these.
    STEWMAC.COM : Gauged Saws

I use the gauge saw to cut all the slots it the correct places & then use the appropriate file to enlarge it to suit the string I am installing.

The gauge saw is all that is used for anything less than .012".

You can carefully make a slot slightly bigger by rocking the file/saw from side to side & test it with a sample of the string you want to fit.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

A mate of mine mentioned a while ago that he uses oxy tip cleaning files to do his slots. I haven't tried it so I can't confirm it works, but I thought it was a good idea!

I use the smallest chainsaw file for the E string on my eubs. For the smaller strings I grind a flat on either side of the file. So you can have any size you like cheap as chips. I have the StewMac files as well. Not a bad investment if you like to tinker with your setups.
    Cheers, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Ball Peen View Post
    I use the smallest chainsaw file for the E string on my eubs. For the smaller strings I grind a flat on either side of the file. So you can have any size you like cheap as chips. I have the StewMac files as well. Not a bad investment if you like to tinker with your setups.

That's a nice solution mate...... the flats ground on the files I mean. Hadn't thought of that one. We've all got a mess of small diameter cheap round files laying about and if the diameter is greater than the string, it doesn't really matter..... a round on the bottom is all you want for slip.

I think it's an old trick Baz, I got it from a double bass maker in Sydney.
    Cheers, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
    A mate of mine mentioned a while ago that he uses oxy tip cleaning files to do his slots. I haven't tried it so I can't confirm it works, but I thought it was a good idea!
    CBGitty sell them, here, about AU$17 delivered (from the US):
    Cigar Box Guitar Tools: Long-shaft Nut/Bridge File Set 40-01-01 | eBay

I could have sworn that 'My Tool Store' here in Oz had them too, but it looks like I was mistaken, or he sold out. Still, he has a few other useful guitar tools here, including a couple of types of more expensive nut files:
    Guitar tools - My Tool Store

Cheapest, though, would be eBay or an auto store.

N.B. Some say that you only need to cut a 'V' with a small file, and that it causes less buzz, but I don't know about that. It would be a big 'V' if you had to file far in to set the fret 1 clearance.
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

FWIW, Ive also heard of people cutting serrations into feeler gauges with a dremel with a cutting disc on it. If you are smart you could add the gauges together to get very precise gaps. Ive always messed with various blades and generic files.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Default Shims and wet and dry.

I used a micrometer to measure the strings and then also a number of shims I had (bits of plastic and the like. The idea is to round one edge of the plastic wrap wet and dry down one edge around the bottom and up the other edge and use it like a file to widen a cut slot. Measure the width of the shim with the wet and dry attached (of course). use it like a saw and only apply pressure downwards.

Good nut files will give you a better result.
    Think of it as a lifetime investment
    get ones two or 3 thou bigger than your 9 guage strings and you will be able to use them for the larger guages too.