Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default The Tornado, Bugger

Hello Everyone.
    I have been a “Lurker” on this site for some time, gathering lots of good information and ideas that have proven to be very helpful.
    I have never previously posted as I really did not think that I had much more to contribute.
    However things change.
    In this case I am seeking a bit of advice.
    On January 26th my shed was a victim of a tornado, one of several that swept through the Bargara – Burnett Heads area.
    The damage was extreme, much worse than can be seen in the attached pic.
    We believe that the Tornado was still mostly a waterspout full of seawater when it hit the shed, we are only a few hundred metres from the ocean.

The shed itself is a total write off, the whole building is twisted, most of the roofing beams are bent.
    The missing part of the wall including the meter box has not been found.
    I am however more fortunate than some neighbours who have had their house destroyed.

The Police would not let me access the area for almost 3 days so that gave the salt water time to do some damage to the internals.
    The damaged walls had shelving attached that had stock and work in progress stored on them.
    All of that has gone to the dump.
    The good news is that being shortly after Christmas completed projects had been given away as gifts.

The machinery inside the shed is mostly a write off having been drenched in seawater.

However I do have a very good insurer.
    A new shed is almost complete, just waiting on the roller shutters that will be another 2 weeks or so.

Now to my questions for the members.
    Here is a list of machinery that I propose purchasing to replace the damaged stuff.
    As we have no major machinery merchants in this area that carry large stocks of different models that I can physically inspect I would appreciate comments on my selection, good or bad.
    Hafco Bandsaw BP480
    Scheppac Bobbin Sander
    Hafco Belt/disc sander, L612A
    Hafco ST12D Table Saw, 415v plus sliding table
    Hafco Pedestal Drill D148
    Hafco Drum Sander DS-1632
    Bosch Axial Glide Mitre Saw

I did have a Scheppac Bench Router on the list however comments in the router section of the forum are steering me away from that.
    Maybe I have to build my own.

Any advice or cross recommendations would be appreciated.

Regards
    Bob
    IMG_0128.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Toowoomba and Online at www.shedblog.com.au

Hi Bob, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Powerful spouts and severe down draughts are evil piece of weather and hard to engineer against. Having an interest in sheds and seeing the fold in the end wall I was wondering a couple of things about the inside contruction of the end wall of the old shed.

Do you have any pics of the inside of that end bay? I'd love to know how many end wall mullions the shed had, and the number and location of the end wall girts?

regards, David
    Steel Sheds in Australia Helpful information for people looking to buy, build, extend or renovate a steel shed. www.shedblog.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Shedblog Au View Post
    Hi Bob, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Powerful spouts and severe down draughts are evil piece of weather and hard to engineer against. Having an interest in sheds and seeing the fold in the end wall I was wondering a couple of things about the inside contruction of the end wall of the old shed.

Do you have any pics of the inside of that end bay? I'd love to know how many end wall mullions the shed had, and the number and location of the end wall girts?

regards, David
    Best I can do, taken after we started to load the trailer with the small stuff.
    Rented a container for the rest of it.
    The end wall is 9 mtr. so you can guess the spacings.
    At least I get to do a proper clean out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now that is a real bugger. Sorry I am not able to comment on the selection of tools but it good that these are all covered by insurance.

Question

All the Hafco gear is good so why not their bobbin sander if they have one?

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. We had a tornado here at Dundowran beach but it did little
    damage. Apparently it travelled up Sawmill road, obeying the traffic rules!!