Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Traffic Control Brisbane

Anyone know of any companies who are willing to take people without experience.
    I have my level 1 ticket and I have done the level 2 theory and need only complete 3 layouts to gain level 2 certification
    I've been teaching high school Manual Arts for the last 3 years and many of the requirements of that job carry over - reading plans, high level observation skills, working under pressure, within guidelines and more.
    I have my own PPE and transport.
    Every company I speak to wants level 2 and experience but no one wants to give you the chance to get it.

I will consider anything to get a start, but ideally I need work within 1 hour of Bribie Island for it to be financially viable.
    Cheers
    Paul

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

So do your 3 layouts and get your level 2 cert.
    It gets you closer.

Easier said than done - no one wants to let me do the layouts.
    The company I did my 20 hours with for level 1, the level 2 I worked with was more than happy with me but management refused point blank to let me do the level 2 prac.
    It seems they have been dealing with idiots (they were actually shocked that I bothered to wash the Hi Vis shirt they lent me) and judge all newcomers the same.
    I have contacted every T/C company I can find asking for work and offering to do a four hour level 1 shift for free if I can do the layout and get signed off.
    No joy.

Default dont bother

Quote Originally Posted by smidsy View Post
    Easier said than done - no one wants to let me do the layouts.
    The company I did my 20 hours with for level 1, the level 2 I worked with was more than happy with me but management refused point blank to let me do the level 2 prac.
    It seems they have been dealing with idiots (they were actually shocked that I bothered to wash the Hi Vis shirt they lent me) and judge all newcomers the same.
    I have contacted every T/C company I can find asking for work and offering to do a four hour level 1 shift for free if I can do the layout and get signed off.
    No joy.

They all seem to be idiots running the show, im in altus and there just ripping everyone of, promise of 30 houres and you get 10, pay lots of money to do a course that is a money grabbing exercise; 20 houres to stand there with other idiots and pay to do it. there could be good companies out there but probably run by loser idiots, there is a glutton of levels 1 and there is very little work for them, get lucky and get to level 2 and get 20 hours a week, don't bother is my lesson. why wait by the phone all day to maybe get a call for the next day, get up a 5, drive for a hour for 4 hours work and then wait 2 days to get another call for a 4 hour shift, the managers don't care, there sunburnt and bitter, the only place where its good is with construction, not traffic control company's,
    there not for honesty or caring.

Yeah, I'm about ready to write off Traffic Control as a bad experience - having spent the money on licensing I've held out for it but I'm at a point where I need any kind of work.

I actually emailed Altus the other day, received a nice email from a woman in HR saying she would keep my information on file - although whether or not she actually she actually read my email I'm not sure since in her email she called me by the wrong name.

The other thing I thought of, was do level 3 & 4 and start my own company.
    I've done some rough sums, about $2200 will get me signage, cones and everything else I need - put that lot on a $600 trailer and I'm ready.
    Find myself a reliable level one and chase the council work - mum's retired and bored most days so she would handle the phone for me.

Default Altus Ripping Off Members?

Win for Altus Traffic Members | AWU Newcastle

Win for Altus Traffic Members

Friday 01st March 2013

The AWU has recently had a great win in the Fair Work Commission against a traffic control company known as Altus Traffic. Altus are currently providing traffic control services on the Hunter Expressway Alliance project.The AWU became aware that its members were not receiving the proper daily fares allowance in accordance with the relevant enterprise agreement. The company’s argument was that they had established a “depot” on the HEA project and accordingly its employees were not entitled to daily fares.After attempting to resolve the dispute with management, the AWU took its case to the Fair Work Commission and the matter was arbitrated in Newcastle before Commissioner Macdonald on 6 August 2012. Commissioner Macdonald found that Altus had not established a “depot” and that its employees should be getting paid the allowance. The company appealed the Commissioner’s decision to the Full Bench of the Commission and this appeal was heard on 19 February 2012. The Full Bench upheld the Commissioner’s decision. The AWU is currently pursuing backpay and ongoing payment of the allowance for its members.