Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Bombo Leguero

Default Bombo Leguero

I don't get a lot of call for these so I thought I'd post a couple of pics of this one before it goes.

Ply/fibreglass shell.
    Laminated ply hoops.
    Leather tuning straps.
    Goat skin heads.

I might do another one soon on spec, smaller and lighter with webbing straps. I think I know someone it might suit.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

That looks pretty nice Bb well done, but you better keep it away from any vegetarians.

Steve

Looks good Earle, is it traditional to leave the skin with the fur? i expect it adds to the glamour of the instrument as it wears off.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan56 View Post
    Looks good Earle, is it traditional to leave the skin with the fur? i expect it adds to the glamour of the instrument as it wears off.
    Leaving the hair on gives a dull, dark THUD. That is the traditional sound from these drums and fits with the style of music. The hair does wear off and is sometimes shaved a bit in the centre of the head, but as with most things musical, it all depends on the player and what sound they are after. Perhaps to use the word 'glamour' in the same sentence as 'bombo' is a bit of an exaggeration, but don't say that to an Argentinian.

Default hairy goat skin

Hi, great looking bombo; is the hide tanned or raw?
    i made one for my daughter, with a tanned skin...didn't last long, it ripped.
    Congrats, regards, Raul

Thanks Raul,the skin is rawhide. I get them green from the abattoirs, flesh them while still fresh and stretch them to dry. Working fast prevents any bacterial deterioration. Once they are dry they will last indefinitely and you can then go on to dehair them or just use them as is, as required.Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by burraboy View Post
    Thanks Raul,the skin is rawhide. I get them green from the abattoirs, flesh them while still fresh and stretch them to dry. Working fast prevents any bacterial deterioration. Once they are dry they will last indefinitely and you can then go on to dehair them or just use them as is, as required.Cheers.
    Dehairing??? I can just see you with the shaving cream and razor.