Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Nitro-cellulose lacquer - high gloss in a can

I'm sure somewhere in this huge forum this issue has been addressed but I'm damned if I can find it so apologies if this is old territory.

I've got a few projects - notably a couple of vintage snare drums but also some mid-century furniture - which require a full gloss nitro lacquer, which I'm intending to do myself with spray cans.

I've previously used Mirotone Spraylac Semi Gloss but, as the not inaccurate name denotes it's not really that shiny - more satin than anything else.

Mirotone I've spoken to and they don't have a high gloss. I've had drums done in modern polyurethane but (as this intended to blend in with an existing vintage kit) it just ends up way too shiny.

Any suggestions on what to get and where?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post
    I'm sure somewhere in this huge forum this issue has been addressed but I'm damned if I can find it so apologies if this is old territory.

I've got a few projects - notably a couple of vintage snare drums but also some mid-century furniture - which require a full gloss nitro lacquer, which I'm intending to do myself with spray cans.

I've previously used Mirotone Spraylac Semi Gloss but, as the not inaccurate name denotes it's not really that shiny - more satin than anything else.

Mirotone I've spoken to and they don't have a high gloss. I've had drums done in modern polyurethane but (as this intended to blend in with an existing vintage kit) it just ends up way too shiny.

Any suggestions on what to get and where?
    I'm not that familiar with nitro, but I don't think you can buy the gloss variety in an aerosol. The propellant they use prohibits a gloss finish. However, I know people who use the automotive variety in an aerosol that provides a gloss finish. Check out your local automotive finishing supplies store. I hope others can be more specific for you.

Baz

Try Wattyl on Rookwood rd they sell a 4lt tin of Stylewood in 3 choices high gloss, satin or semi gloss? They may be able to tell you if they sell it in spray can's

Address: 1/61-71 Rookwood Rd, Yagoona NSW 2199
    Phone:(02) 9791 0379

... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Stewmac won't ship aerosol lacquers internationally, and I'd be very careful about Ebay UK as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz1000 View Post
    Stewmac won't ship aerosol lacquers internationally, and I'd be very careful about Ebay UK as well.
    There are also a stack of others in the search link.

I was just trying to help, having seen this ' but I don't think you can buy the gloss variety in an aerosol. ' in your reply.
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

Hi Antipodes you can get gloss nitrocellulose and the vinyl sealer in a aerosol can from Guitar Aust in Melbourne. There web address is Guitaraust Luthier Supplies & Guitar Parts
    The brand is Behlen.
    Cheers Alby

Alby, thanks for the Melbourne connection. Sadly it's got to be here because it's illegall to ship anything this flammable via international post. Will let you know how I get on.

VHT used to do a clear gloss nitrocellulose laquer in a spraycan.
    Don't know if they still make it though.

Antipodes have you looked into road transport. You'll find there are transport company's that freight dangerous goods as in flammable goods which is what aerosol cans fall into. If you contact Guitar Aust they may even be able to ship the goods to you via road transport.
    Cheers Alby

Sorry, didn't make that clear. Transport in Oz is fine (they use couriers and these presumably go via road) - it's only getting the stuff over international borders that is problematic though it seems not to bother them intra-Europe.

In any case, will try and get some on Monday. Thanks again.

My understanding is that aerosol cans cant be shipped via air, only road. Not exactly sure why. Something to do with pressurized cans in airplanes I presume. Guitaraus will ship aerosol cans to anywhere in Australia, they will just mark it as such and it will go via road as opposed to air.

Quote Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post
    Spraylac is not nitro, but a precatalysed lacquer.

Mirotone does sell nitro gloss but not in can form but in 4 litre containers. The gloss can be buffed to get an even more intense gloss.