Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Script View Post
    Hi Greg, Thanks for looking in!

Yes, even tho I used a grey primer, the wood does soak in the paint. I'm using a two stage lacquer so, hopefully, the finish will be okay. Got a couple finish coats of yellow and then clear coat.....

On the other hand......maybe it will look more authentic if it looks a bit 'weathered'?

Trying not to count the parts.......

Cheers,

Jim
    G'day Jim. I'd say that if you still have a couple of finish coats to go, it should seal OK by then. If not, a third coat before the clear might be in order. A lot of messing around, I know, but when finished you'll be glad you put in the extra effort.

With the paint you're using, do you need to sand between coats, or does each coat 'melt' into the previous one? (ie Is it water or solvent based?)

Looking good overall. It's surprising how many parts go into just making the front end assembly.
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hello Jim,

Time to stop by to have a look at your build.
    Nice job on the front axle assembly, it looks good.
    Even with the yellow paint

Take care,
    Anja

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    G'day Jim. I'd say that if you still have a couple of finish coats to go, it should seal OK by then. If not, a third coat before the clear might be in order. A lot of messing around, I know, but when finished you'll be glad you put in the extra effort.

With the paint you're using, do you need to sand between coats, or does each coat 'melt' into the previous one? (ie Is it water or solvent based?)

Looking good overall. It's surprising how many parts go into just making the front end assembly.
    G'day Hermit,

Thanks for stopping by. To answer your question, it is solvent based lacquer so there is no 'melting....just work to get it smooth

I am adding another coat or so as well as adding some more parts requiring the color. Seems like a few were missed...by me, not the instructions.

Had to be away for a week. Even though it seems like nothing is happening, I seem to be spending most of my time prepping and painting. The pics attached are to 'prove' I'm still working on the project....

Anja,

Thanks for stopping by! I noticed on the other site that you are joining the 'dark side' for your next project.....best wishes...

Jim

IMG_2549.jpgIMG_2550.jpg

G'day Hermit,

Thanks for stopping by. To answer your question, it is solvent based lacquer so there is no 'melting....just work to get it smooth

I am adding another coat or so as well as adding some more parts requiring the color. Seems like a few were missed...by me, not the instructions.

Had to be away for a week. Even though it seems like nothing is happening, I seem to be spending most of my time prepping and painting. The pics attached are to 'prove' I'm still working on the project....

Anja,

Thanks for stopping by! I noticed on the other site that you are joining the 'dark side' for your next project.....best wishes...

Jim

IMG_2549.jpgIMG_2550.jpg
    It looks like you've covered a fair bit of ground since the last update. It's all beginning to take shape nicely.
    It appears to be quite a complicated model, with lots of detail.
    ... Steve

Hello Jim, been following the build and it looks very good, Red and yellow was well used in those days, I was wondering if you had to use a special primer for the brass fittings as most paints don't usually stick well on brass, it would have looked good with out paint never the less, well done . Eddie

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by TKO View Post
    Hello Jim, been following the build and it looks very good, Red and yellow was well used in those days, I was wondering if you had to use a special primer for the brass fittings as most paints don't usually stick well on brass, it would have looked good with out paint never the less, well done . Eddie
    A spirit based primer will stick, something like Zinsser BIN Primer Sealer
    B-I-N PRIMER SEALER

Quote Originally Posted by TKO View Post
    Hi Eddie, Crowie,

Thanks for looking in!

I used a Rustoleum brand primer.... light grey for the yellow and have dark grey for the red and black. It has worked for me for many 'projects' even though it is not specifically for bare metal.

The chassis is almost finished....except for the part that is not.....

The wheels cannot be attached until after the carriage is installed so I dry fit them for the pictures. Also have to finish the paint on the tread area. The current pics show the three part wheel. Since the carriage was suspended from the chassis with a leather sling, I've still got to do the sling and the sling mounts. But it seems like it is time to do some carriage work.

Jim

For the time being, just try to visualize a chassis with wheels......the system has decided to not recognize my jpg files. Anyone have any thoughts? They are taken by the same camera with the same settings as all the previous pics....

Great work so far ... I'm following .. just watching silently at the moment.

I too had your problem ... got so many photos loaded to this site and then found it would take no more. So I upload to another site that I belong to and then link the photo to my posts here from there.

But if you upload to another site, and then you delete photos from there, or change albums around, or let your membership lapse, etc ... then all the photos from your posts that are linked will disappear here. The links will become redundant.

Greg

G'day Greg,

Thanks for stopping by. Seems like the pic problem is affecting everyone so I'm just going to wait and see. I do have it all saved to a Picasa album so once things are fixed I'll catch up.

Have started construction of the carriage.....framing and one side. Lots of wood.......

Jim

G'day Greg,

Thanks for stopping by. Seems like the pic problem is affecting everyone so I'm just going to wait and see. I do have it all saved to a Picasa album so once things are fixed I'll catch up.

Have started construction of the carriage.....framing and one side. Lots of wood.......

Jim
    I'm looking forward to the main carriage construction.
    N.B. The photo upload problem is now fixed.
    ... Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    I'm looking forward to the main carriage construction.
    N.B. The photo upload problem is now fixed.
    Hooray!

So here goes......

These are pics of the 'mostly' completed chassis as described above...

Cheers,

Jim

IMG_2552.jpgIMG_2553.jpgIMG_2554.jpg

Default Carriage

G'day,

This has been and will continue to be an exercise in parts inventory management. There are more laser cut and photo etched parts in this kit than any I have ever done before. And since they are nested for economy, they must all be identified before removal. That is okay....not real difficult except for keeping track of the ones that have been separated and are not needed until later. I'm going to run out of containers(plastic bags) well before I run out of parts.....

Here are the first pics of the start of the carriage....I'm hoping the chassis will be sturdy enough....the carriage is going to be quite heavy. I think I may use epoxy for some support locations on the chassis...perhaps at the axle mounts and the hangers for the leather straps.

Cheers,

Jim

IMG_2555.jpgIMG_2556.jpgIMG_2557.jpgIMG_2558.jpg

G'Day Jim beginning to take shape now ,and looking good.
    Eddie.

Here are the first pics of the start of the carriage....I'm hoping the chassis will be sturdy enough....the carriage is going to be quite heavy. I think I may use epoxy for some support locations on the chassis...perhaps at the axle mounts and the hangers for the leather straps.

Cheers,
    Jim
    Looking good Jim.
    It's really starting to look like a stagecoach now.

Edit: Ha, you just pipped me, Eddie, and with almost the same words.
    ... Steve

Eddie, Hermit,

Thanks for stopping by....nice to know someone is watching...keeps me motivated....

Anyway, here are some more pics of the carriage assembly....I'm trying to put text on the shots but have not yet had it follow to the album.....might have something to do with the sync with Picasa. I'll figure it out sooner or later....

My plywood bending method is rather primitive.....wet it and hold it....

It is interesting that there has been no change in wall structure from this carriage to the stick and aluminum rv's of today......

Cheers,

Jim

IMG_2560.jpgIMG_2559.jpgIMG_2561.jpgIMG_2562.jpgIMG_2563.jpg

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast