Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Leda Table and Bosch Mitre Saw

I've been looking for a new table and a mitre saw for my workshop. My budget for the table saw is $1000, and the mitre, $300 ish.

After a bit of research, (including a good read through these archives), I've narrowed down the options. Originally I was looking at a Triton as a table saw, but given I won't move it much decided that I could do better for the $. The saws I am considering are:

Ledacraft TSC-10B, a 10" Taiwanese contractors saw with a Biesemeyer style fence for $895 (no blade).

As I'm in Adelaide there's not much to look at. Leda were helpful and, by accounts, provide good after sales service. I'd also consider the similar priced Delta contractors from Carba Tec, but I can't find one in Adelaide to look at. I don't want to stretch the budget beyond $1K.

For the mitre saw, the Bosch GCM10 10" Mitre Saw, on special for $299.

I did consider a SCMS, like the GMC, but the Bosch seems much more accurate and well made. A decent table saw is probably better for the longer cuts anyway?

Any comments on my choices? I realise that this sort of question pops up a lot on the forum, so thanks in advance for your replies and opinions.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Just a general comment on miter saws. The plain drop saw has its advantages. A well made SCMS is just as accurate and is more versatile. However, that would blow your budget out of the water.

You don't say why you want a miter saw now so perhaps you have your reasons but another option to consider is to not buy a miter saw and buy a decent miter guage. I have an Incra 1000 (don't buy the 2000, too darnfangled) but another cheaper option is the Incra V27 which sells for $129 at Timbecon. Put your own fence on it and this will cover a lot of your needs for the near future. I ended up with an auxiliary fence on the 1000 as it is too short to be useful anyway.

Use the money saved to buy a good sawblade or perhaps a tenon jig. I've used the tenon jig a lot.

Thanks Mark, the Incra V27 looks like a good idea. The reason I'm after a mitre saw is that I've got a (very) old radial arm saw set up that I find handy, but it's a bit dodgy safety wise.

How about the Leda table saw, any opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by chrismo
    Thanks Mark, the Incra V27 looks like a good idea. The reason I'm after a mitre saw is that I've got a (very) old radial arm saw set up that I find handy, but it's a bit dodgy safety wise.

How about the Leda table saw, any opinions?
    As it happens I have a Leda table saw but it is the 12" cabinet saw. Similar to the TSC-12HK. I bought it second hand six years ago and it was probably that old when I bought it.

It's been fine but there isn't that much to go wrong really.

One thing the TSC-10B doesn't have is a magnetic release switch. However this is common on a lot -- if not all -- saws in this price range. Just be damn careful.

If you have an overall budget of $1300, did you consider the MJ-2325A? I haven't seen one but the sliding table covers your croscutting needs as well. This looks similar to a Craftsman saw in the US that (surprisingly for Sears and Craftsman) had good reviews. I think it is mentioned in the current -- or maybe the last -- Fine Woodworking. Current as in current in the US. Not what is currently in our newsagents!

Quote Originally Posted by markharrison
    One thing the TSC-10B doesn't have is a magnetic release switch. However this is common on a lot -- if not all -- saws in this price range. Just be damn careful.

If you have an overall budget of $1300, did you consider the MJ-2325A? I haven't seen one but the sliding table covers your croscutting needs as well. This looks similar to a Craftsman saw in the US that (surprisingly for Sears and Craftsman) had good reviews.
    I think I'd upgrade it to a magnetic release switch if it didn't have one, so that may be an extra cost.

I did look at both the MJ-2325A and the CB (no sliding table). The Leda versions have a Biesemeyer style fence and are $1200 (CB) and $1485(A) - about $300 more than the Timbecon/Carba-Tec equivalent.

Is the Leda fence worth an extra $300, and what advantages would the cabinet have over the contractor saw for the extra $?

Quote Originally Posted by chrismo
    I think I'd upgrade it to a magnetic release switch if it didn't have one, so that may be an extra cost.

I did look at both the MJ-2325A and the CB (no sliding table). The Leda versions have a Biesemeyer style fence and are $1200 (CB) and $1485(A) - about $300 more than the Timbecon/Carba-Tec equivalent.

Is the Leda fence worth an extra $300, and what advantages would the cabinet have over the contractor saw for the extra $?
    A cabinet saw (like the TSC-12HK) has larger trunnions and multiple belts to better transmit the extra power that it has. Generally speaking, dust collection is better also if you collect from under the table but the MJ-2325 looks different to the average contractor saw which has the motor hanging out the back so the dust collection advantage of the cabinet saw is then negated.

I didn't know that these were available from Timbecon and Carbatec so that's news. However, the biesemeyer style fence is quite heavy duty but the fence on the Timbecon machine looks adequate. Not that I've seen one in the flesh. Ask them: Does it lock at the back? I don't like double locking fences. They only seem to cause more problems (moving when locking) than they solve compared to the biesemeyer style fence. A solid fence shouldn't deflect anyway.

The Timbecon machine says that it has 3HP but only a single belt so I'm not sure how useful that it is unless it is one of the newer automotive type poly V belts.

I'm starting to move towards the Leda 2325CB. It has the Biesemeyer fence and is only $200 more than the Timbecon/Carba-Tec equivalent. Although I haven't been able to actually to see it, I think the standard 2325B fence locks at the back- that's why Leda replace them.

Compared to the TSC 10B (without a blade), it's only $200 more, and it's a cabinet saw with a solid table and a free blade, (for what it's worth).

Repeat post deleted