Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default wanted plans for 16'-17' half cabin

I grew up fishing out of timber boats and have finally got permission from SWMBO to build my own boat. I am looking for plans for a 16 or 17 foot half cabin boat. The boat needs to be able to happily be used in the rivers etc but also capable of heading out to the reef on reasonable day. Ideally the boat would accommodate a 75hp outboard.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Boat plans

Check the web site for Mark Bowdidge who is based in B'berg. He has recently designed a number of boats that would meet your needs and are built out of wood.

Whitewood
    Last edited by whitewood; 8th May 2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Correct spelling of a name

It sounds like you need one of Mark Bowdidge's Sea Strike 16 or his Cruise Control 5.2 designs. The Sea Strike is a less expensive build and well suited, though a center console design. It could carry a small cuddy if desired (I suspect). The 5.2 does have the cuddy and sufficient deadrise to make off shore blasts, though a bit heavier and requires a little more material and HP.

Thanks PAR and Whitewood I have had a look at Mark Bowdidge's site and believe I will be buying the plans for the Cruise Control 5.2 in the near future.

Hi jap, just to let you know I have a set of plans for a Double Eagle (plywood) by Glen-L for $150.00. These plans are normally $238.00 US.Inspite of it being 23 ft it will be a lot more stable and seaworthy than a 17 ft especially out at sea to get access to reefs.
    At first you may think this is too big for your needs but as I have found that when out at sea the difference in stability is quite a lot.
    Anyway give it some thought.
    Cheers Alby

Thanks Alby. I hear what you are saying about stability of a larger boat and fully agree. However, given that the reefs are very close to us here (15 minute run home if needed) I think a 23' boat is just a little bigger than what I need.

Fair enough I just thought you should have an option, mainly because down here in Sth Aust when out at sea we have squalls which appear with very little warning and I have been in a 16-17 ft boat and it can be very dangerous depending upon the abilities of the skipper.
    Cheers Alby