Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

That is a bit disappointing re the track control but anyway it may prove to be valuable in the right situation and a bit time using it.

I will ring the guy today regarding his MIG torch, I am thinking it may have been UNIMIG but not sure. I think he said it was a $150 upgrade over the standard but I will ask him that as well.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Found it John. Hope its not to pricey.

Logic Torch.PNGMulti Logic Torch Operation.jpg

Good yes that is it. Well you don't have to have one, but I think it would be invaluable on any continual sections of welding where there are variations in the material along the way not to mention the heat build up in the material as you go. If you are going to build a boat or anything along those lines it will be essential to get a nice job.
    It is good to have a second torch anyway set up for steel so it's not like the one you have already would be wasted.
    But anyway you may have blown your welding budget already so I had better shut up.

Anyone want to buy a Lincoln???
    That's all right John. Will just have to work harder. A quote is on its way.
    Yes exactly what I was thinking, one for steel.

Little bit annoyed I wasn't told of the choices available at time of purchase. It seems that they knew of the available guns. Might be a bargaining point if I go that way.

Oh the gun is made by Xcel-Arc. MIG Welding | XcelArc | Esseti New Zealand Limited

Which is the brand I have. XA36 Suregrip 300A. Very nice comfortable gun.

Yes my mechanic was surprised that you weren't informed about the available gun choices but anyway you are on to it now. I will try and chase up mine today as well even though I don't have a major project happening just now, I want to get used to it using it even on little jobs.

The torch comes in just below $330. May even be able to replace my handle with this one and the digital module. Will find out end of next week.

DM36.JPGXA36.JPG

Yeah hopefully you can just change the handle so long as the pair of wires are included in yours. My Kemppi torch just has a clip in removable plastic piece that comes out and the control switch goes in and that is it as far as I know. It would be good if yours was that simple but the handle replacement should also be easy enough if that will suffice.
    Good luck with that

Received the miller foot pedal then spent the week relaxing on the sunny coast. Now back home its time to get some good practice in on the tig.
    First agenda is a tig cart. Started the frame tonight. I found it much easier with the pedal. Even practiced standing up and using my knee. All worked well.

20130710_181404.jpg20130710_201556.jpg

Mmmmm... problem with the tig tonight.

Was welding great just about had the 2 sides joined together then just out of the blue it started to weld like crap. Black soot, barely any cleaning action, couldn't get the filler rod any where near it without balling up and making a mess.

I suspect shielding gas problem.

I have checked for leaks,no burn holes, soapy water on all fittings and changed all consumables in torch head.
    Now could there be a problem with the argon? I am down to the last quarter, one would think if it was contaminated you would know by now. I am open to suggestions.

20130711_161959.jpg20130711_190112.jpg20130711_190139.jpg

Well the TIG cart looks to be coming along great with decent looking welds from what I could see so you have taken to it very well.
    It seems strange that you would start getting that poor result all of a sudden though if you haven't made any changes and still at a quarter of a tank of Argon. It is more likely as the tank gets down to the last gasps that the regulator may react a bit different and require a bit of tweaking.

Can you hear or feel argon flow from the torch, (careful not to zap yourself with the HF putting it close to your ear) It should be obvious and audible if OK.
    You haven't disconnected and reconnected the welding cables accidentally the wrong polarity, I admit I did that once and had me stuffed why I couldn't weld anything, felt stupid when I realized..
    You haven't accidentally flicked the switch over to DC instead of AC.

Have you tried the bottle back on your MIG to test the Gas?

Thanks John.
    Haven't done any fault finding today but plugged another torch in and a new bottle of gas and I was back in business. Will do some tests over the weekend to find the culprit.
    Getting the hang of it pretty good,also getting good at sharpening tungsten's as well. The tig seems perfect for jobs like this.
    Did a bit more tacking up tonight. Might do some more practice tomorrow before I attempt the long runs.

20130712_192019.jpg

Well welded the long runs yesterday arvo and wasn't overly impressed with the finish, bit lumpy and not uniform. The biggest problem was trying to get comfortable with the big 26 size torch and its non super flex cable wrestling my arm. Have attached a pic showing size difference to the 150 amp flexloc. So I sanded the edges which turned out nice anyway.

Now I'm in the process of deciding what brackets to hang off it for the leads, footpedal, filler wire etc. Might leave the bottom open for a future water cooler and have one storage shelf in there.

Tried the other gas and its fine so now I'm trying to find out whats wrong with the little flex-loc. Must be sucking air in somewhere or maybe even a small blockage reducing gas flow?

20130713_142059.jpg20130713_142128.jpg20130713_162657.jpg20130713_195658.jpg20130714_133933.jpg

The trolley is coming along very well, you are inspiring me to build a couple of ally ones for myself. Mine are all steel and a bit too low.
    Yeah I agree leave provision for a cooler down the track, any bigger jobs it will keep everything running better including you. I found that it seemed harder to concentrate on the welding as my hand started to get hot and depending too on how I had to grip the torch. The torch just stays cool all day, makes one less thing to deal with.
    Hope your CK Torch is OK and nothing too major. Don't know how much heat they can take but they are supposed to be among the best so should be able to cop a bit.
    It seems harder to keep the bigger torches nice and steady but only early days for you and I am sure you will get into a nice steady rhythm the more you do regardless. Not always easy to achieve but where your weld is important to get a nice cosmetic appearance try and setup a rest in a good position to support your hand/arm and so you can smoothly slide along and of course be in as comfortable position as possible.

It looked pretty decent to me, not sure if I could have done any better by the way.

Anyway there is nothing wrong with sanding or routing the corner off after welding, gets done all the time by the pros, just depends on what finish you want.

Found the culprit.
    As you can see in pic 2 and 3 the hose has started to melt and cover the gas hole going to the torch. The gas still flowed but the hotter it became the more of a restriction it was.
    After re-crimping the cable back on, a bit of tie wire to secure the gas hose its back welding like new again.

John,these little projects are all good practice for bigger things to come. Dead right about being comfortable and having a resting position. Next on my list is a decent welding table and giving my current one to my 2 year old.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast