Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Nice one Craig... keep those photos coming
    So just guessing - tools used so far = jigsaw and grinder? It would be really cool if you could keep an update on the tools you find useful during the build (how many clamps, etc. etc.)
    Are you actually assembling within the garage? will you be able to get the boat out?
    Also with the boat - is that design to survey standard? If I ever get around to my version of this, it'll be a 'work' boat and may need to be in survey.
    Cheers
    - Mick

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMick View Post
    Nice one Craig... keep those photos coming
    So just guessing - tools used so far = jigsaw and grinder? It would be really cool if you could keep an update on the tools you find useful during the build (how many clamps, etc. etc.)
    Are you actually assembling within the garage? will you be able to get the boat out?
    Also with the boat - is that design to survey standard? If I ever get around to my version of this, it'll be a 'work' boat and may need to be in survey.
    Cheers
    - Mick
    Hi Mick, tools so far have been a jigsaw and a good pair of grippy gloves. I snapped the blade off shorter on the jigsaw so no damage to plates underneath would occur while cutting tags and excess material away. 1 blade for the whole job.

Assembly will occur in the garage. Will be a bit cramped but doable. I wanted the next size bigger kit but it just wouldn't fit. Once the hull is on wheels it can be moved around easily within and out the doors when ready.

Private use so not building to survey, not sure if the design is. John from Plate alloy Australia says his kits are 2C which are similar to this kit.

Quote Originally Posted by cwcarter View Post
    First time using mig manual with really nice results. More or less point and shoot.

Attachment 269762Attachment 269763Attachment 269764
    Just going back near the start of this thread https://www.woodworkforums.com/f160/p...ml#post1653804 - I love results you were getting with the manual settings and more or less hate the others... have you decided on the weld settings you going to stitch this puppy up with?

thanks for the other info.

Cheers

- Mick

I have a big bucket of off cuts to do plenty of test samples yet, so will decide after that. The pulse samples shown earlier weren't the best samples.
    Normal pulse looks similar to the mig manual sample using a straight pull plus you don't get the splatter like mig manual.

Great WIP and pic's Craig. Keep 'em coming please. Bet you were happy to see Busby's turn up?
    Ross

Edit forgot to enter 'Craig'

Hi CW, Haven't been on any forums for a while, been moving house and now up at Glastonbury west of Gympie. Just trying to catch up and great to see you have followed through and bought your boat kit. It looks great and pretty much exactly what I want to do, maybe one day. The 5.0 metre is a good manageable size I think although even at that it will give you it's share of challenges.
    I will be watching your progress with much interest and wish you all the best with the project..

Quote Originally Posted by old1955 View Post
    Great WIP and pic's Craig. Keep 'em coming please. Bet you were happy to see Busby's turn up?
    Ross
    Thanks Ross. Yeah I was like what the hell have I gotten my self into!!! But yes happy to see it here.
    Your quite welcome to come and have a look if you like once a bit of progress starts. The way things are going at the moment looks like a mid January Start.

Quote Originally Posted by johncar View Post
    Hi CW, Haven't been on any forums for a while, been moving house and now up at Glastonbury west of Gympie. Just trying to catch up and great to see you have followed through and bought your boat kit. It looks great and pretty much exactly what I want to do, maybe one day. The 5.0 metre is a good manageable size I think although even at that it will give you it's share of challenges.
    I will be watching your progress with much interest and wish you all the best with the project..
    Thanks John.
    Nice country around there. I think I've settled on the Fraser Coast for my future move, gets a bit busy for me further south.
    The 5m should be great, very versatile size.

Thanks Ross. Yeah I was like what the hell have I gotten my self into!!! But yes happy to see it here.
    Your quite welcome to come and have a look if you like once a bit of progress starts. The way things are going at the moment looks like a mid January Start.
    Will look forward to it.

Hi CW,
    I am watching your boat take shape with immense interest, i too am considering building a kit alloy boat myself and still hope to do this in the very near future - as soon as i build a second shed( 15M x 9M should do it, luckily i live in acreage)
    firstly i need to learn alloy welding, my current machine is giving me grief, an old Italian made CIG 135 Trans Mig will need to be upgraded to the T&G also, I have been reading all your thread discussions about welders and handles etc so at some point i'll have to bite the bullet and spend $4k.

regarding the boat kit, I read you had a company in brisbane cut the kit for you, however i note that CNC Marine are based in Perth, are they an agent for CNC or did you have to buy the plans or ??? please let me know how you went about buying the kit, as i was going to buy mine from Plate alloy in Melb however would rather do it in Brissy if possible.

cheers
    Vince

Hi Vince,

Steve from CNC Marine has an account with One Steel ( Capral has now taken over the aluminium side). He can purchase the material and get the kit cut at any One Steel in any state that has cnc cutting capability's.
    You can also buy the plans yourself and buy the material from another distributor as well. More info at Aluminium Alloy Kit Boat Plans - CNC Marine .

Cheers Craig.

Default Alloy boat kit.

Hi Vince,

Steve from CNC Marine has an account with One Steel ( Capral has now taken over the aluminium side). He can purchase the material and get the kit cut at any One Steel in any state that has cnc cutting capability's.
    You can also buy the plans yourself and buy the material from another distributor as well. More info at Aluminium Alloy Kit Boat Plans - CNC Marine .

Cheers Craig.

Thanks craig, appreciate the info, hope the build goes smoothly for you.

Cheers
    vince

Had a couple of half days over the weekend, so I thought Id make a start.

1.jpg3.jpg
    Parts with tags sanded flush and sharp edges removed then cleaned with methylated spirits.

2.jpg
    Most of the plate that requires bending.

4.jpg5.jpg
    Lining up the 5mm bottom sheets.

6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg
    Made four wooden chocks to hold the bottoms up. Then pulled them together to meet flush. I have a length of fibro underneath just to protect the flooring temporarily from heat damage.

9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg
    First frame tacked in.

12.jpg13.jpg
    More frames in.

14.jpg15.jpg
    Preparing for stringers.

16.jpg18.jpg17.jpg
    This is where Im up to. Stringers installed ready for tacking and marking out the transom braces.

Nice one Craig, looks like the hull will come together very quickly. Inspirational stuff.
    - Mick

A question on the kit - Are you given a weld sequence so that the distortion is minimised when welding or do you have to work that out for yourself?

Michael

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast