Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Hi Michael,

You do get a general sequence of what parts to weld first but basically use an even welding sequence to avoid heat distortion.
    I will post up a diagram of the sequence I use once I get to that stage.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ok, so I pretty much got the plates tacked in up to frame 7. I wasn't real happy about the way things were going from frame 5, seemed alot harder then it should of been. Anyway after spending too long on frame 5 and 6 I was inserting frame 7 and tacking it in as i pulled the sides up listening to buckling stringers. There was no way this frame was going to sit in the correct position. I thought what the hell have I done!!!
    I then pulled out the measuring tape and checked the marked frame spacing and confirmed that they were out.... way forward.
    I quickly phoned Steve at cnc marine to find out what went wrong. After 20 mins or so to let him suss it out he called back and and also confirmed his files were out , something went wrong with the transferring to cutting files.
    Well all is good, Steve quickly rectified the problems with the files and is sending all new bottom plates frames and stringers, he even compensated for the time spent on it.
    Every one makes a mistake once in a while and I couldn't ask for any better service then that. Thanks Steve for the prompt and professional service in dealing with this matter.

Once the new parts arrive I will start a post of the new build on a blog site which I'll post a link to later.

pulling my hair out stage.
    22 (2).jpg

Old bottoms. I have bulk scrap.
    24.jpg

This is what Im up to now. I was going to etch the inside of the hull once final welding was done to clean it out. But I am now etching each part separately after observing the tack welds previously done.

All plate was cleaned with metho. Welding prep was with wire brush and pwr brush. What I found was while tacking and using the manual brushing for weld prep the mill finish was still oily within. Is this coating porous? The pwr brush was alot better in the removal but if oil can get into this coating so can water and not only contaminate the brush being used what about long term effects ? I know thousands of boats are built with the finish left on but I am removing it.
    Ive always noticed when welding either 6061 extrusion or 5005 sheet after sanding and cleaning it welds cleaner then just wire brushing but this 5083 seems to hold more crap in it.
    20140127_182105.jpg 20140127_145807.jpg24.jpg

G'day Craig,

How much hair have you got left? Weather wouldn't be helping much either. Sounds like the people you got it from are fair dinkum with their product.

Quote Originally Posted by old1955 View Post
    G'day Craig,

How much hair have you got left? Weather wouldn't be helping much either. Sounds like the people you got it from are fair dinkum with their product.

HaHa, yeah my daughter mentioned this afternoon I still have some hair. Weather is a nice change actually, the boat will get done in time no rush.
    Steve seems a good bloke always happy to help.

cheers
    Craig.

I have started a blog page here for the build http://craigsboatbuild.blogspot.com.au/

Just awaiting new parts to continue.

Meanwhile I have been still etching and Ive built a couple of dolly's for the hull to sit on and give it a bit of mobility while working on it.

20140131_172244.jpg

The dolly's could be very useful.

Hey Craig, I checked in on your blog - but haven't seen a update for a while - how's the boat going?
    Cheers
    - Mick

Hi Mick,

Still at bow lug stage. Have been on holidays.....its part of the general agreement I must comply with to have a boat... "Must have holidays doing holiday stuff and not work on boat". They just don't understand.

Next stage, not this weekend probably next...Will weld in bow lug and stem bar, fit fuel tank feet more transom braces then the sides. Going to erect a temporary timber frame around the hull to hoist the massive sides into place. But first I have to get them back outside for etching.

Craig.

Craig,

Looks like it is coming along nicely.

Ross

What are you using to etch the Ally with?

Quote Originally Posted by old1955 View Post
    Craig,

Looks like it is coming along nicely.

Ross
    Thanks Ross.

Spent a couple of hours yesterday cutting all the deck stiffeners and braces out. Not that I need them yet, but at least there done. Also got the sides etched....that was fun. The kids skate boards came in handy.

IMG_0794.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Robbers View Post
    What are you using to etch the Ally with?
    Hi Karl,

Just using Septone Alibrite. http://www.septone.com.au/detail.asp...395&page_num=1
    I use it straight not diluted with a garden sprayer and a stiff broom to scrub it in after the first 5 minutes. 10 - 15 minutes and its done, hose it off.

cheers
    -Craig

Quote Originally Posted by cwcarter View Post
    That must be quite an exercise just checking/double checking where everything goes... It's looking good so far - very interesting to see the sequence of work - is it all specified in the plans or do you just go for it?
    I notice your fluro light - nothing improves weld quality like good visuals I reckon - do you have a hood on the back of your helmet to stop the light bouncing around inside?
    Keep posting your progress - any tips/observations much appreciated.
    Cheers
    - Mick

Please be very careful with the etcher! Don't spill any on yourself. They drummed into us in the lab that hydrofluoric acid (which is in this stuff) goes through your tissue and gets into your bones and removes all the calcium there. They told us it was the most painfull condition you can imagine. That's quite apart form the rist of heart attacks from hypocalcaemia which it can casue in even smaller contamination....
    THanks for letting us see your great work! Looking forward to seeing the completed boat!
    Cheers,
    Joe
    9"thicknesser/planer, 12" bench saw, 2Hp Dusty, 5/8" Drill press, 10" Makita drop saw, 2Hp Makita outer, the usual power tools and carpentry hand tools...

Quote Originally Posted by jhovel View Post
    Please be very careful with the etcher! Don't spill any on yourself. They drummed into us in the lab that hydrofluoric acid (which is in this stuff) goes through your tissue and gets into your bones and removes all the calcium there. They told us it was the most painfull condition you can imagine. That's quite apart form the rist of heart attacks from hypocalcaemia which it can casue in even smaller contamination....
    THanks for letting us see your great work! Looking forward to seeing the completed boat!
    Very true words spoken there.
    The reason I asked was because we used to use a far stronger product than AliBrite at work, (we weren't even supposed to be able to get it without dangerous goods certification, but you know, wheels within wheels etc). We loved it as it was super aggressive when cleaning bullbars and fuel tanks from log trucks etc.
    Anyway supply dried up and Ali Brite was all we could get, which was far better Blitz, the other product available to us.
    Some fairly heavy duty chemicals at any rate, definitely to be treated with respect, particularly in relation to your eyes. Take care with your runoff too.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast