Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jhovel View Post
    Please be very careful with the etcher! Don't spill any on yourself. They drummed into us in the lab that hydrofluoric acid (which is in this stuff) goes through your tissue and gets into your bones and removes all the calcium there. They told us it was the most painfull condition you can imagine. That's quite apart form the rist of heart attacks from hypocalcaemia which it can casue in even smaller contamination....
    THanks for letting us see your great work! Looking forward to seeing the completed boat!
    Thanks jhovel.
    Had a good read a while ago about how nasty hydrofluric is. Been using this stuff for a good 20 years now and a degreaser which I believe to contain it as well.
    Started using the degreaser while doing school based work experience at a motorcycle shop. None the wiser here I was no PPE hands in washing bikes all day. Used to knock me about a bit. I thought I must of had a really hard days work to be so drained. Side effects can be seen months after with skin pealing from exposed areas.
    Still using the degreaser to this day but with proper precautions.
    -Craig.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMick View Post
    That must be quite an exercise just checking/double checking where everything goes... It's looking good so far - very interesting to see the sequence of work - is it all specified in the plans or do you just go for it?
    I notice your fluro light - nothing improves weld quality like good visuals I reckon - do you have a hood on the back of your helmet to stop the light bouncing around inside?
    Keep posting your progress - any tips/observations much appreciated.
    Cheers
    - Mick
    Im really enjoying it Mick. I sit back looking at it and trying different plates on for fit thinking how I'm going to do this and that....keeps the mind busy.
    The plans have breif notes of the sequence....you can download study plans from cnc marine which are almost the same as what I have.

I only received a specials email a couple of days ago on a hood and thought I'd get one. I think the speedglas helmet has one suited for it though but great helmet for visuals. I agree, more light the better.

tip 1 etching.
    This has made it much much easier for weld prep then trying to wire brush the mill finish off. All you need is a quick brush before you weld now during fit up. Also weld quality and penetration has improved compared to the first build I started using the same weld settings.

- Craig

Not much done on the hull ,had a heap of parts folded up on Friday which is occupying its space.
    IMG_0812.jpg

Decided to continue making the bait board this afternoon. Here's a few pics of it so far.

IMG_0814.jpgIMG_0815.jpgIMG_0816.jpgIMG_0817.jpgIMG_0818.jpgIMG_0819.jpgIMG_0820.jpgIMG_0821.jpgIMG_0822.jpgIMG_0823.jpgIMG_0824.jpgIMG_0825.jpgIMG_0826.jpgIMG_0827.jpgIMG_0828.jpgIMG_0829.jpgIMG_0830.jpgIMG_0831.jpgIMG_0832.jpg

Looks as though it is coming along nicely Craig.

Ross

That's a really nice piece of work Craig - congratulations. I'd be proud to have that not only on my boat, but also in my kitchen. Jeez, I'd even have one as a hood ornament on my hilux !
    Keep the photos coming
    - Mick

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMick View Post
    That's a really nice piece of work Craig - congratulations. I'd be proud to have that not only on my boat, but also in my kitchen. Jeez, I'd even have one as a hood ornament on my hilux !
    Keep the photos coming
    - Mick
    Haha. Thanks Mick. I have a big head now, it did turn out alot better then I expected.

Had to lift the mig higher on the stand to clear the gunnel's of the boat. Stand was originally made to suit a 4.8 mtr plate alloy kit.
    Welder now sits 1600mm off the ground.

Received my G bottle of Argon yesterday from supagas.

Looking forward to a productive weekend

IMG_0877.jpgIMG_0880.jpgIMG_0878.jpg

Doesn't look like you can go much higher in the garage Craig.

Ross

Craig,

How many fluros have managed to hit.

Ross

Default Nice work

Thanks Craig, looking real good.
    So with the tacking - is the go to not fully weld anything until the end unless you absolutely have to?
    Nice anchor well - mine's too shallow and brimming with rope, yours will be good. I've always thought it would be good to have a separate little section for the painter as mine is quite long (have to push the boat out a long way to clear some rocks when launching) - something to consider?
    Cheers
    - Mick

Great work. Really enjoying all the pics.
    Cheers.

Vernon.

Thanks Mick and Vernon.

The boat is at weld out stage now. The bulk of the hull is tacked together first to lock it in before any real heat is applied.

Still deciding what will be done around the anchor well. I've scrapped the first anchor well lid I did and made a new one incorporating the bow spit but leaving the rope hole uncut.
    Have to consider winch or no winch, what type, even your idea for a place for the bow rope.
    I want to keep things robust and simple and quick to maintain.
    Only new to boating and welding so any suggestions will be more than welcome.

Just to let people know Ive been using genuine Binzel Teflon liners in my mig gun the red ones and they are junk.
    The liners are too soft and seem to attract aluminium particles like a lint brush. I had that many feed problems and blockages over the weekend it wasn't funny + blew away a ten pack of tips like they were nothing.

So stay away from these liners if doing aluminium. I have gone back to the hard plastic PE liner and am awaiting to test the carbon Teflon liner from Binzel. Apparently these are the go.

Cheers
    Craig.