Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Block set in sapele box

I used some of the offcuts of the resawn sapele that I used to make my chest of drawers to make this box, containing a 72-piece set of blocks for my great-nephew. The box joints were made with the Rocker box-joint jig. The stop hinges and the catch are Brusso (expensive, but worth it). The 32 cubic blocks, the wedges, and some of the sticks are rock maple; other woods featured are fiddleback blackwood, jarrah, cherry, myrtle and birch. The blocks and sticks were cut using a crosscut sled on the table saw.

The mortice for the catch was routed on the Rocker morticing jig before the lid was cut off. The hinge mortices were also cut on this jig, using a spacer board to give clearance.

The finish of the box is Danish oil, and the blocks are just waxed with carnauba wax.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Great stuff Rocker. What a good way to use off cuts. I bet your great-nephew was impressed. Is there a minimum size for the blocks to stop the young ones from swallowing them?
    If I do not clearly express what I mean, it is either for the reason that having no conversational powers, I cannot express what I mean, or that having no meaning, I do not mean what I fail to express. Which, to the best of my belief, is not the case.
    Mr. Grewgious, The Mystery of Edwin Drood - Charles Dickens

Nice looking, practical project Rocker. Agree about the Brusso hardware. I'm convinced that kids having nice stuff to play with gives them an appreciation of quality in later life.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavo
    Is there a minimum size for the blocks to stop the young ones from swallowing them?
    Pre-schools work on having nothing smaller than a film canister.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Nice one Rocker!

Brings back many happy memories I have of playing with wooden building blocks x number of years ago. Great idea to use up the little offcuts.

Cheers
    RufflyRustic