Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Time to do a bit of work To The SHED

It's been quite a few years since I did any real work TO my shed.
    I bought some clear shed floor paint a few weeks back, but my shed needs a huge clean up before I can even find the floor, bench and who knows, I might already have tools that I have been saving for.

Well, ok. It's not THAT bad, but it's pretty bad.

Anyway, I made a start today. I started & almost finished cleaning up my cupbord top. It's 6m long, & while i did throw stuff away, mostly what it needed was a few nails banged into the shadow(less) board, and things hung up.

I also rearranged a few things that live on the top & gave it a good sweep.

Anyway, I still have an awful lot to do, but at least I have made a start.

shed1.jpgshed2.jpgshed3.jpg

Steve
    The fact remains, that 97% of all statistics are made up, yet 87% of the population think they are real.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi,
    Good to see a fire extinguisher and first aid box very accessibly mounted. They seem to be missing or hidden in most shed shots.
    Regards
    Hugh

Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

hey mate when you finish your shed can you come & do mine please
    Regards Michael
    enjoy life we are only here a short time not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by A Duke View Post
    Hi,
    Good to see a fire extinguisher and first aid box very accessibly mounted. They seem to be missing or hidden in most shed shots.
    Regards

Hey Hugh,

Yeah mate, better to be safe than sorry. Having said that, Neither of those two items helped me the other day when I fell off the bloody ladder. Ripped the ligerments on the inside of my knee and it has been giving me curry ever since.

Still, I believe you are right, they should be in all our sheds, & a basic first aid course should be manditory before getting a licence i recon.

I am an ex Ambo from the days when we were all Volly's, but I havent done a refresher course for many years. I am planning on doing one next time my wife has to do hers.

Steve
    The fact remains, that 97% of all statistics are made up, yet 87% of the population think they are real.

Quote Originally Posted by coffenup View Post
    hey mate when you finish your shed can you come & do mine please
    Regards Michael

Ha Ha, Yeah! Good one mate! I get it.

Steve

I got a bit of time out in the shed today, so I did a bit more tidying up & throwing out.

I found my bench today.

I mean, I knew where it was, .... It was directly under that big pile of stuff in my shed.
    (I had forgotten what it looked like though.)

I still have to find a home for a couple of things, but my shed is slowly getting better.
    shed4.jpg

I also knocked up a small shelf to sit my Mortising Jig on.

I put a couple of screws in the shelf & drilled a couple of holes large enough to clear the screw heads
    in the jig, & sat the jig over them. Just to stop it getting knocked off the shelf or vibrating off when I am
    banging nails in the shadow(less) board.

shed5.JPG

Plenty more to do, but I am getting there.

Steve

Back out in the shed for a little while today.

I made a bit of a start on the floor. I'm not really quite up to the floor stage yet but this was an hour spent today that will save many hours when I do start the floor.

I opened up the can of floor sealer & filled a few defects & a few holes in the floor that may take a couple of days to dry, some of the were fairly bad.

You really don't get any depth perception from this shot but this hole is about 25mm deep

shed6.jpg

I painted the old pit area as it is pretty crumblys and the darker bits are the deeper holes

The long one on the left is the one from the previous pic

shed7.jpg

I poured the floor paint into the cracks as well.
    Even if it disappears it should still seal it for the next coat

shed8.jpg

This area by the door is not that deep but very crumbly.

It's also a high traffic area as the table saw either comes out for every job or has to come out to get what ever else I want out

shed9.jpg

My shed is not actually my workshop., It's where I keep my tools.

Infront of my shed, I have about 6m x 7m carport area with a good flat floor & fenced to the roof on one side & clear plastic blinds on the other.

This is where I do my wood work, so nearly all of my equipment is on wheels

These pot holes in my floor are a pain in the butt when trying to move machinery around my shed.

The man in the paint shop assured me I could use this floor sealer to fill the holes before I paint the floor. I certainly hope he is right. He also said that 10Lt would be ample to do 2 coats on my shed floor. I am not all that confident that it will be, but time will tell.

Steve

I hope you realize, that a tidy shed is a sign of an idle mind!!!!!

Hey KB,

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I have certainly done my share of time of having the untidiest shed on the forum.

It's time for someone else to pick up the slack.

I had to do this mate, I have found children I forgot I had.

It's just a bit of a waiting game at the moment, to see if this floor sealer is going to set in the holes or stay as red puddles all over the floor. The weather is prolly not fantastic for this but the man assured me it would go hard. I cant do much else until it does so I hope it sets off soon. No way is one 10lt tin going to do two coats on the floor though.

steve

Default Good news

The good news is that the floor sealer in the holes is starting to set.

its very sticky at the moment but really thick now.

Too bad its so cold at the moment, it could still take a while, but at least the process has started.

Steve

I went back out in the shed to do a bit more TO the shed yesterday & today.

Still haven't done any more to the floor, but the sealer has gone reasonbly hard in the holes. I'm gona wait till the warmer weather before I do any more to the floor I think.

My timber stack has out grown my timber rack a bit, so I decided to extend the rack. I really don't want to loose any more floor space, so I have decide to make an overhead extention and this will primarily be for off cuts & shorter pieces of timber.

I started yesterday on Frame No.2, as it bolts to the roof beam.

This load is transfered to the ground by the 45degree gusset back to the post

shed12.jpg

Today I made & installed Fram No. 6, wich also bolts to the roof beam.

shed10.jpg

I set these two level & square, so it should be fairly easy to set the other 4 frames shelf supports to these using a couple of steel beams as straight edges.

shed11.jpg

The trouble I will have will be the beam that runs along the outside at the top. On the existing rack, that outside top beam is only 75 x 30 as it really only ties the tops of the legs together. All the weight is straight down & it Can't sag.

With the overhead section, this top beam needs to be strong enough to hang the other 4 frames from & not sag under the weight of the load. All the frames will be the same as the 2 that are up there, so the bulk of the load will be transfered to the floor through the back legs, but I still think that top beam needs to be a bit grunty.

I think the answer is to fabricate a beam for this job. Maybe even a fabricated beam with a positive camber built into the top of it. Sort of a mini version of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I'm kinda thinking as I type here, so if I'm on the wrong track, someone let me know. I can't build a box unless I draw up a bit of a sketch first, (Too many years building things from drawings I guess) & I'm making this up as I go along.

This requires a bit more thought, but I think I am on the right track.

Steve

G'day Steve,

Good on you for tidying up the shed. It's going to be sooo good when you get back to making stuff and all those annoying shed things are sorted out. I really need to do it too. At the moment I'm just putting up with things as they are. I can relate to the timber rack issue. I did something kind of similar and its difficult to know if the supports are going to be sufficient.

Anyway, enjoying the thread, and keep the pics coming!

Peter
    The time we enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

Gday 3toes,

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has these shed issues. My Dad was Mechanic, and always had a nice clean shed. He was also a bad temperd grumpy old bugger as well, and I didn't inherit the clean shed gene.

Still, I find I am mellowing in my older years, so perhaps the shed will get there as well.

I sat down last night & drew up a bit of a sketch of the reinforced beam I think I will make. It might be a bit of overkill, but I think over design is always better than under design.

time to drag my butt out of bed & get stuck into it. Hopefuly, I'll have a few more pics by the end of the day.

Steve

I started fabricating the beam today, I got a bit done & I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

My happiness may go south if this idea dosent work, but I think it will.

any way..... progress pics.

I had a big heap of Oragon (Douglas Fir) given to me a while back, and while it's not my favorite timber, it is ideal for my Timber Rack.

shed14.jpg

I machined some down to 70 x 35.
    I cut it to length & marked out where the frames have to attach

shed15.jpg

I attached that Oregon Beam to a piece of 16mm MDF, 225 x 2400 with glue & nails.
    I also attached a small block, 85mm at 90degrees to that beam & on the centre line of the MDF

shed16.jpg

Then I laid down another 70 by 35mm Oregon beam & started bending it over that 85mm block until it reached all the way to the original beam. This is all glued & clamped & I am leaving that to dry before I release it.

shed17.jpg

This took quite a bit of time, & to be honest, I wasn't sure the timber would bend that far without snapping, but I have heard that the old Miners used to like to use Oregon to shore up their mines as they recon the timber would talk to them. Oregan does a lot of creaking & groaning before it snaps.

When I get back to it, hopefully this week, I will attach another piece of 16mm MDF to the top plane.

I still have quite a lot of work to do to this fabricated beam before I am ready to put it up, then I only hope I can still manage it on my own.

Steve

I took the Clamps off today & I'm not unhappy with the result.

shed18.jpg

I had a lot of clamping pressure on that Top Bowed Beam, so much, that it has bent the MDF. It's still flat, But it has a bend in it. It has also bent the 70 x 35 Bottom beam to a bit of a negative camber. This was not part of the plan, in fact, a positive camber would be preferable, but I think the torsion box construction will still support the 3 center frames, keeping in mind that the bulk of the weight is still going to be tranfered to the legs at the back via the 45 degree gusset, and even if I put 1200kg up there, each frame will only have to support 200kg.

I have no intention of putting 1200KG up there.

I hope I get time to get this part finished & put up before Friday. We are heading off on a Cruise on Saturday,

Steve