Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Carbatec 13 inch thicknesser review

If you are considering purchasing a new thicknesser the following information might help you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    My age is still less than my number of posts

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Very interesting and very helpful, this is something I have been considering for a while now, with the advent of the newish cutting heads, spiral, and whatever this one appears to be, the time could be about right to check them out in the Melbourne show later this year.

One aspect though does concern me, I work entirely in metric, apart from some steel rules with their dual measures, metric and inches, nothing I have is in inches. Am I to understand that this machine is set by using inches and/or increments in fractions of an inch only?

That would be a bit of a bother.

Mick.

Hi, this would have to be one of the best tool reviews I've ever seen. Many of us on a very small budget for buying tools etc for our sheds can not thank you enough for the time and effort put into writing a review. As it happens I have been looking into getting a thicknesser for some time, any way over the last six months I have been able to source timber from large packing crates and framing timber for the cost of going there and picking it up. So now that I have 2 cubic metres of timber I will now be able to warrant the purchase of a thicknesser for my shed.
    Thank you very much for the review it has made my decision on which one to buy.
    Cheers Alby

Quote Originally Posted by Optimark View Post
    Very interesting and very helpful, this is something I have been considering for a while now, with the advent of the newish cutting heads, spiral, and whatever this one appears to be, the time could be about right to check them out in the Melbourne show later this year.

One aspect though does concern me, I work entirely in metric, apart from some steel rules with their dual measures, metric and inches, nothing I have is in inches. Am I to understand that this machine is set by using inches and/or increments in fractions of an inch only?

That would be a bit of a bother.

Mick.
    The cutter head is infinitely variable up or down and can be set to any depth of cut you like, millimeter or centimeters. What is fixed in inches is the fixed depth stop. You are not required to use it and once I get a digital depth readout fitted it will never get used.

Quote Originally Posted by Alby123 View Post
    Hi, this would have to be one of the best tool reviews I've ever seen. Many of us on a very small budget for buying tools etc for our sheds can not thank you enough for the time and effort put into writing a review. As it happens I have been looking into getting a thicknesser for some time, any way over the last six months I have been able to source timber from large packing crates and framing timber for the cost of going there and picking it up. So now that I have 2 cubic metres of timber I will now be able to warrant the purchase of a thicknesser for my shed.
    Thank you very much for the review it has made my decision on which one to buy.
    Cheers Alby
    Alby it did take some time to do but apart from sleeping and eating and cutting timber I like writing best of of all so it was no problem to me.

A word of caution though. The opinions I expressed should be verified by you before you part with any cash. It is late May and I am due to make at least one error this year and the review might contain it.

Once again, thanks for the specific reply addressing my concern.

I concur with Alby, on one of the better (far better actually) write ups of machinery, specifically written and commenting upon actual parameters for the market the machine is intended for.

I also will now very closely look at one of these units, with a very possible purchase at or after the Melbourne show; where hopefully one can physically check it out.

If I can be so bold, when you get your digital depth readout widget affixed to this planer, maybe a further review of the review!

Mick.

Thanks chook for your excellent review. I took the plunge last week and bought the machine home and it performs as well as you describe. used a hand trolley to get it down the 54 steps from carport to workshop. on my machine , there is no removable off/ on switch arrangement as described and illustrated in the manual, the discount runs to the end of the month but may surface again at the Sydney wood show ,Rossco

Thumbs down Question on carbatec 13 inch thicknesser

Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    Alby it did take some time to do but apart from sleeping and eating and cutting timber I like writing best of of all so it was no problem to me.

A word of caution though. The opinions I expressed should be verified by you before you part with any cash. It is late May and I am due to make at least one error this year and the review might contain it.
    Hi chook I have the thicknesser my question is this. I can't get wood to go under the kickback fingers on the right of machine is this normal I don't have any issue on left but I couldn't possibly put 13 inch through and I wonder if this is a fault. No point trying to get carbatec to help bloody hopeless

Quote Originally Posted by DiRob View Post
    Hi chook I have the thicknesser my question is this. I can't get wood to go under the kickback fingers on the right of machine is this normal I don't have any issue on left but I couldn't possibly put 13 inch through and I wonder if this is a fault. No point trying to get carbatec to help bloody hopeless
    I do not have this problem on m machine at all. Sounds like a fault with the machine to me.

Default broken kickback fingers

Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    I do not have this problem on m machine at all. Sounds like a fault with the machine to me.
    Hi Chook found that kickback fingers were not attached correctly at assembly wow what a job to replace the fingers major disassemble have new ones but being so far from Carbatec I will have to repair myself ,bugger apart from this great machine.

Thanks for the review Chook; I do enjoy listening to the voices of people who have shelled out their own coin and are willing to pass on their experiences, both good and bad.

I read magazine reviews of tools and have often made purchases based on their outcomes but sometimes my findings were somewhat less than the writers'. As a couple of examples the Ryobi D-handled biscuit jointer and the blue Bosch 10" compound mitre saw both got very good reviews in AWR; I found the Ryobi has WAYYY too much slop in it's sliding parts and the saw was a spectacularly badly set up piece of junk.

I'm going to be in the market for a new thicknesser in the next couple of years when I finally kill my GMC POS, thanks to your writing I now have a machine to use as a benchmark.

Default OK machine - some issues to consider

I have had one of these machines for about 9 months now, for occasional weekend use. I have minimal previous experience with electric thicknesser planers so that should be taken into account in my comments. I have been very happy with the noise levels and general performance of the machine. However, the speil abut the spiral head and that it doesn't affect ornate/twisted figure/grain doesn't really hold true. I have found that if your wood is hard and has very ornate figure this machine will rip chunks out of it like any other simple blade thicknesser. MAYBE a bit less, but still bad. Careful, thin layer thicknesser then drum sander is required. Or else a good hand plane and lots of elbow grease!

A possible maintenance issue concerns the base plate. In mine it is no longer quite flat but has developed small "optical dimples" so it may be a bit lightweight /thin for what I am doing, though I would not think that is hard work.

Default Update

I have now had the machine since May and I have had time to put some work into it. I am making a new workbench and It was used to clean up the large laminated tops. My initial impressions stand. It works perfectly for me. I get very clean surfaces with either no snipe of almost none (mostly none) and I continue to be very glad I got it.

I recently got this machine.

I must admit its really quite good. Mine did however have a little oil on the blades to start with.

I found leveling the table to be quite difficult. Its near perfect, but adjusting the lock bolts cause the whole outfeed table to come up causing an acute angle, the part that I found had minor problem was between the base and the outfeed table itself there is maybe 1mm ( not much I know) thats impossible to level out. Its almost as if the out-feed table and infeed table is set 1mm lower than the body of the machine. I cant physically tighten the little lock bolt any more to try to reduce this gap. Loosening it only results in causing an angle. Is yours like this?

I must admit I haven't played with the depth stop yet. You were every specific in your review sating you made changes of say 1/16 of an inch. I so far have just turned the handle lowering the cutter height and only been able to look at the front measure.

How exactly does the depth stop work? If I put it on say 1/8 inch... the blade will make a cut of 1/8 inch deep? or the table can only be lowered to 1/8 of an inch? It seems as if its the latter... this is a little redundant seeing there is only about 6 heights it can be set to?

Thanks

The depth stop is just a stepped block. A set screw hits up against the steps and prevents the cutter going any lower. If you pull the side panel off you can easily see how it works. I hardly use it.

My thicknesser has now had a lot of timber pass through it and I remain very happy with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast