Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Fitting a Triton router to the Triton router table

Hi all,

Just a quick question to those who have a triton router and table. When mounting the router to the sub-assembly did you use the supplied clamps or screw straight into the base of the router? I notice that the screws that hold the plastic face on the bottom of the router line up with pre-drilled holes in the sub assembly, but the documentation does not indicate to do this. It just seems it would be a neater solution than the clamps.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

No, I used the clamps.

The 4 clamps supplied with the table are only for use with non-Triton routers. The Triton router attaches using the 2 locating knobs which go into the slots on the base. Turning the router anti-clockwise and tightening the knobs is all that's required to fit it correctly. This way, it can be released from the plate very easily for handheld use.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

The 4 clamps were originally required to fit the Triton router to the table plate . Around 2/3 years ago Triton did a modification and the plate described by Gumby should be the latest fitting approach.

Ads MaC

dO YOU HAVE THE LATES PLATE DESCRIBED BY gUMBY?
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Talking

Spot on. Just tried and and now I'm both impressed and convinced. This is what I expect of triton. Thanks for the help.

Memo to Triton - I couldn't find this anywhere in either the doco for the router table or the router. Maybe I missed it, but I don't think so.

Don't think you missed it- older docs, but the newer (Gumby mentioned) mod.

Few things worth mentioning.

1. I find it useful marking on the plate where the dust extraction point is- so the router is in the same position each time- makes it easy to find the on/off switch, speed dial etc when it is under the table.

2. You can cut the same holes into other items (such as the Router Mounting Plate (AJA150)) to make them quick release also

3. I found it useful buying a couple of spare plates from Triton (about $7 - 8 at the time), and attach these permanently to home-made jigs - makes them quick-release also!

Check the Mods & Upgrades button on the www.tritonwoodworkers.org.au site to see images of these "mods".
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ads Mac
    Memo to Triton - I couldn't find this anywhere in either the doco for the router table or the router. Maybe I missed it, but I don't think so.
    It's definitely in my instruction manual (for the table).........which is about 18 months old. I didn't know the previous ones where fitted with the clamps. Maybe I just got in as the newer version came out - lucky me.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Stuart

Do you fit the dust hose extraction to the router when its under the table?

I don't.

Should I?
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    It's definitely in my instruction manual (for the table).........which is about 18 months old. I didn't know the previous ones where fitted with the clamps. Maybe I just got in as the newer version came out - lucky me.
    Gumby

If you dont have these clamps (4 off) how do you do any type of top routing ie. doing dadoes using the main 2000 work centre with the router clamped to the plate that runs along the 2000 work centre guides?
    woody U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by jow104
    Gumby

If you dont have these clamps (4 off) how do you do any type of top routing ie. doing dadoes using the main 2000 work centre with the router clamped to the plate that runs along the 2000 work centre guides?
    I don't have the plate which slides on the WC2000. The only dados I've done were on shelving and I used the mini extension table attached to the router table. In fact, my router almost never leaves the table. I have considered buying that sliding plate because I think it's much better doing it in WC2000 from the top as you said. Using the extn table is limited and you have to be careful to get it accurate. When the need arises for a few, or even for larger panels, I'll buy that plate. (Then I'll have to remember where I put thise clamps by the sound of it). :eek:

Gumby

If you don't have these clamps (4 off) how do you do any type of top routing ie. doing dadoes using the main 2000 work centre with the router clamped to the plate that runs along the 2000 work centre guides?
    I believe it is this to which Stuart is referring in his post above. Visit the Triton Woodworkers web site to see how you can modify your router plate for quick release attachment.

Stuart

Do you fit the dust hose extraction to the router when its under the table?

I don't.

Should I?

I do - absolutely. One of the benefits of the Triton router is this dust collection. The amount that falls down is significant, and with dust collection fitted below only, there is still excellent dust collection. Ideally, coupled with above-table collection with the fence-mounted port.

DPB is correct - the mod I was referring to is to the Router Mounting Plate for using the router to cut dados on the Workcentre. I find it very useful when producing mid-panel biscuits. (Which can be found in my article in the current House & Home magazine). I will put the article on our website in the near future.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Stuart do you buy the sub plate(RTA419)?
    Did you just drill holes in the AJA150 mounting plate to achieve the quick release?
    Thanks

Yes and yes Used the subplate as a template to work out where the holes should be drilled.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com