Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Maddux View Post
    What, exactly, do they claim is the value of this toothing pattern?
    Luke, the claim is (to paraphrase a little "one third faster in both ripping and cross-cutting than standard toothing".

Sound too good to be true?

Cheers,
    IW

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    Sound too good to be true?
    About like anything that markets itself as "[Fundamentally better in every way!]" and doesn't have the sales, reviews, or longevity to back itself up.

It's like the turn-of-the-century version of all of those exercise machines on the late night infomercials.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Maddux View Post
    About like anything that markets itself as "[Fundamentally better in every way!]" and doesn't have the sales, reviews, or longevity to back itself up....
    Luke, my first impulse was to nod & agree emphatically, but a small voice at the back of my head said "hmmm, there are a few examples I can think of where superior function was trumped by convenience of a bigger advertising budget". You can probably all fill in your own blanks, but one thing that springs to mind is the triumph of cassette recorders over open reel recorders - convenience whipped quality, hands down. The BMT teeth may possibly have been a 'better mousetrap', but they look a bit intimidating to your average Joe, more used to the simpler geometry of conventional fangs. They were also up against some pretty big, well-established competition, and anyone who lives under our Coles/Woolworths system knows how that can distort the free-market ideal a little! Magnetic tape recorders have passed into history, and that's a long-dead argument, but we may hear more of BMT teeth now that they've been resurrected. Stand by for a debate along the bevel-down/bevel-up lines.

I'll admit to a high level of scepticism myself, but also a bit of curiosity. Those square-angled teeth might not tear at a file the way the bottom of a 60 degree gullet does, so it might even be easier to sharpen this style with a poor quality flat file than a triangular tooth with a poor quality triangular file. But it might be a very long while before I try it, partly because I think it would be trickier to make teeth of a size appropriate for a backsaw, & partly because it's too much work to file in those deep gullets between the tri-tooth groups. But if someone wants to rough one out for me, I'll have a go at setting & sharpening & give it a few test-cuts.....
    IW

I found a interesting saw online this week that made me recall this discussion on the BMT teeth and it's modern incarnation from TFWW.
    Check out this Japanese version: https://www.ebay.com/itm/131778234536
    Not sure of its age but it's a bit beyond my tool budget!

image.jpgimage.jpg

Certainly some similar thinking going on here!
    Some shots of the TFWW version for comparison:
    image.jpegimage.jpeg

Disston had their D17 Double Duty saw, which made very similar claims. It dates from just after WW1.

Some information on this thread:

A Tale of Two Dissys

I acquired another more recently, but a later version this time.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12