Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust Maker View Post
    Bushy

Can't say I've ever thought of any of my tools as cute
    but I am pleased with the way this one turned out.......

I want to try and make one of those fancy handles with lambs tongue etc........

And if you find anything nice let me know, we might be able to do a deal.........
    Nick

I understand, but teeeny weeney tools are difficult to describe, for us macho blokes, and I am just borrowing a term I hear women using all the time.

In fact I was once called "cute" by a female, but that backfired because I was deeply offended and feared that without instant and vehement rebuttal my status at the men's shed I thought I might join one day would be severely diminished: In fact irretrievably damaged. Not only that I realised she wanted money from me .

I'm with you on the lamb's tongues: Very desireable. I think I saw Paul Sellars take a blocky latter day Disston and give it the curvy, tongue and carve treatment to replicate the totes of the late 19th century.

Deals... deals! Now you are appealing to the barrow boy in me . I can see a swap fest coming up. Pity McGee isn't a little closer . I might have to schedule a trip to the next Blue Mountains GTG.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

hah

maybe she wanted more than money

anyway I've viewed that Paul Sellars tote makeover
    interesting work and not to denigrate it but at the end of the day a four finger tote cannot be made into a three finger tote

The interesting thing for me is that the old saws, like the Buck and the Disston 76 (on my other thread) have extremely comfortable grips
    admittedly I haven't used them but the feel good to hold.

The younger saws don't have that comfort aspect

I've a Stanley backsaw I burchased with a mitre box in the late 1970s - never liked it
    it is in line to get a new handle/tote
    It might even be a joy to use because it was always a pain and thus never used
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Deals... deals! Now you are appealing to the barrow boy in me . I can see a swap fest coming up. Pity McGee isn't a little closer . I might have to schedule a trip to the next Blue Mountains GTG.

Regards
    Paul
    It's about time that McGee lad visited the eastern states - he could even probably bring a couple of surplus saws with him to temp the heathens over here

I mean, how many thumbhole D8's does he need?
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Quote Originally Posted by surfdabbler View Post
    Regarding the other option of the grain running up the handle, this would also make the little frilly bits very fragile, so would be a really bad idea. I remember reading about Viking longships... (stay with me here, it is relevant). They didn't have good jointing skills in their arsenal, so when dealing with joining the seats to the sides of the boat, they needed little angled pieces to go along under the seat, and bend 90 degrees to meet the side of the boat. They would cut these pieces from the stubs of branches, so that the grain will follow around the required bend. You could potentially do the same for saw handles, if you can get hold of a tree before it is milled. (told you it was relevant!) But then, you have the problem of the bad grain on the frilly bits, so maybe it's worse again.
    The use of grown turns for fitted knees in boat building was used right up until recent times.
    There are still traditionally built Bristol Cutters being built in the UK using this technique.
    The boat builder will source whole trees for construction, saving all the branch to trunk joins for this purpose.
    Pretty sure I have an article on it somewhere.
    My father, who did his boat building apprenticeship at Garden Is in Sydney certainly used this technique.
    Still, probably overkill for a saw.
    However, a nice piece of squiggly gidgee might be fun to use!

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust Maker View Post
    It's about time that McGee lad visited the eastern states - he could even probably bring a couple of surplus saws with him to temp the heathens over here
    I mean, how many thumbhole D8's does he need?
    I was considering a split into two entities when you guys had your last Tool Fantasia on ... but I'm controlling myself .. we have one in April ...

As to how many ... well ... 3ppi, 3.5ppi, 4ppi, 4.5ppi, 5ppi, 5.5ppi, 6ppi, 6.5ppi, 7ppi, 8ppi, 9ppi, 10ppi, 11ppi, 12ppi ...
    (no ... I don't have all of the above ... as thumbholes ...)

then of course you want rip and xcut in some pitches ... and then maybe some different rip and xcut filings at the same pitch

... so ... dunno ... maybe a few ... ?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pmcgee View Post
    As to how many ... well ... 3ppi, 3.5ppi, 4ppi, 4.5ppi, 5ppi, 5.5ppi, 6ppi, 6.5ppi, 7ppi, 8ppi, 9ppi, 10ppi, 11ppi, 12ppi ...
    (no ... I don't have all of the above ... as thumbholes ...)

then of course you want rip and xcut in some pitches ... and then maybe some different filings at the same pitch

... so ... dunno ... maybe a few ... ?

Paul
    Yep.

That's pretty much what I thought .

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Thanks Nick for finding thread for me.

Sydney Blue if thats what it is I will try first grain look good I have 2 pieces just in case. The splated English Oak is a bit to soft. Other choice might be Magnolia if its big enough.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234