Default Small tabletop planing board

G'Day to all.
    I've decided to stop reading and start some posting.

So, I'm in the process of creating small woodshop (part of my garage) so right now I need make all meditation in the kitchen. Really on the part of the kitchen table. Moreover, enough often I must go to another Ukrainian cities and stay there one-two weeks. This is my job.

Just because I have not any possibility to install hard sturdy workbench in my kitchen (6 square meters of space) I've made tabletop planing board (after Wilbur Pan, I think).

At first I bought a piece of MDF - laminated kitchen worktop 600x300x30 mm. And we need 2 Bessey clamps 8 mm of shaft (photo-1).
    photo-1.jpg
    After I drilled holes 8 mm diameters around end of MDF-board.
    On the photo-2 you can see positioning of tabletop board on the kitchen table. of course with clamps.

photo-2.jpg

Than (after Wilbur Pan) I used two wooden school rulers and screwed them to the MDF-board by brass screw. Before I drilled holes in the MDF and glued brass inserts. So we need 3 inserts and 3 screws.
    photo-3.jpg

At first my intentions was make this tabletop planing board for Japanese planes only. But (I'm right handed man) I like to use it and for Western planes too.
    photo-4.jpg
    The planing stop made from rulers are on the left part.
    For Japanese planes I turn this planing board and planing stop is on the right part.
    photo-5.jpg
    And here the planing stop made from wooden rulers is unscrewed from planing board.
    photo-6.jpg

So this is perfect possibility for me - I can easily take this planing board, some planes and other tools with me.
    And enough cheap, but prices in Ukraine and in Australie are different.
    COnstruction is enough hard for planing with western planes too.
    But I not work with long boards, only small no longer 300-400 mm.
    Probably my experience will be useful for category of 'kitchen woodworkers'.

Regards,
    Serge.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

That's good stuff Serge. Personally, I have to use the kitchen and dining room as my painting area so I'm a "kitchen finisher"

You might be interested in The Milkman's Workbench. It's reasonably small, portable and pretty well featured for such a little thing.
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Welcome to the forum Surge.

That is a good solution you have there for a temporary workbench.

The Milkman's Workbench may be a next step, but not so portable.

I have a Workmate (made by Black and Decker) that was my primary work surface for a time, and still use occasionally. It can be folded up and hung on a wall or stored away in a small space, which is its main advantage. I modified the bench/jaws on mine by replacing them with 50mm/2in thick planks. It is more portable than a fixed bench, but not as portable as yours.

Neil

Hi Serge, and welcome to the forums,

A great idea (your tabletop planing board) . So much so, that I took some inspiration and finally decided to make a proper one for myself (tho' not in the kitchen - but near enough to the kettle and fridge).

Like Neil, I often use a "Workmate", but it is currently covered with another project, and as I'm not in the habit of writing things down, if I move the stuff off it, I'll forget
    a. where I put it, and
    b. what I was making with the stuff (should I ever come across it).

So, using some scraps of wood (lots of that around - remnants of projects I moved and, see b. above). A pine plank, maple cleats and walnut stops (I'll have a few in varying heights to fit the thickness of the pieces to be planed).

I generally work low to the ground (that way, when tools fall, they don't tend to break and when I'm tired, I'm already sitting, so much more efficient, eh?) so I made the board to fit over my low horses.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

G'Day Steve!
    Great Idea - removable planning stop of different height!

Serge.

Quote Originally Posted by snikolaev28 View Post
    G'Day Steve!
    Great Idea - removable planning stop of different height!

Serge.
    Hi Serge,

Yes, its a great idea - but I'm not the inventor. I'm just copying (not particularly well) what I've seen others do.

Steve