Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Beal Buffing kit

In the Australian Woodsmith there is an article on buffing finishes and they mention the Beal Buffing Kit. Well I've been looking at a better system than my present method of a swansdown mop on a drill. Taking a leap of faith and watching their video, I purchased a new electric motor and ordered the Beal Buffing Kit. I have it all set up now and started on finishing one of my work pieces using the Beal buffing system. To say I'm happy with the results is an understatement, it's brilliant and does the job at least as well as I was hoping. You get three buffing wheels (8 inch) and a bar of each finishing compound required. Each wheel is labeled so you know what compound to use but what I really like is it is so simple to change each wheel with the arbour connection fitting. I will recommend this system and I 'm sure there are others that do a good job but my $340 investment will see me happy for some time.

SB

I have no relationship with Beal in the USA and I 'm only a subscriber to Australian Woodworker with no other relationship.
    Power corrupts, absolute power means we can run a hell of alot of power tools

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I've read some good stuff on U.S. forums about this system. Did you buy it direct from the U.S.?
    -Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I've read some good stuff on U.S. forums about this system. Did you buy it direct from the U.S.?
    Sure did Scott, cost me $139 all up but the kit is $71 and the rest is shipping. I think you could just order the arbour adaptor white diamond wax bar and then source the rest in Australia but I'm not sure you would save much in the end as we seem to pay big bucks for our buffing wheels here, and then you got to set it all up to fit. Go to their site at The Beal Tool Co and check out their video.

SB

Cheers, thank you.
    -Scott

Default Beall Wood Buffing Kit

Or you can buy locally here Beall Wood Buffing Kit
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Carroll View Post
    Jim, thanks for that I feel really bad as I would have liked to buy it from you but the Australian Woodworker did not state a local supplier and when I did a google search only the US company was shown. Now I will get my Beal supplies from you. By the way if anyone plans the buy the kit make sure your electric motor is 1780 RPM maximum, mine is 1428 does very nicely.

SB

Quote Originally Posted by Superbunny View Post
    By the way if anyone plans the buy the kit make sure your electric motor is 1780 RPM maximum, mine is 1428 does very nicely.

SB
    Hi SB, 'normal' AC electric motors (ie not DC nor variable speed) run at fixed nominal speeds related to the number of magnetic 'poles' in the design. 2 pole motors run at nominally 3000rpm, 4 pole at 1500rpm (eg your 1428rpm), 6 pole at 1000rpm and so on. BUT, the US electricity supply is at 60Hz (= cycles per second) wheras most of the World is at 50Hz and so everything electric in USA goes 1.2 times faster! 1500 x 1.2 = 1800 (and hence their 1780rpm).
    As the next step would be to (our) 3000rpm, it is a good idea for everyone to stay with our 4 pole at 1500rpm and spend the extra bit of time enjoying the process!

fletty
    a rock is an obsolete tool ......... until you don’t have a hammer!

Quote Originally Posted by fletty View Post
    Hi SB, 'normal' AC electric motors (ie not DC nor variable speed) run at fixed nominal speeds related to the number of magnetic 'poles' in the design. 2 pole motors run at nominally 3000rpm, 4 pole at 1500rpm (eg your 1428rpm), 6 pole at 1000rpm and so on. BUT, the US electricity supply is at 60Hz (= cycles per second) wheras most of the World is at 50Hz and so everything electric in USA goes 1.2 times faster! 1500 x 1.2 = 1800 (and hence their 1780rpm).
    As the next step would be to (our) 3000rpm, it is a good idea for everyone to stay with our 4 pole at 1500rpm and spend the extra bit of time enjoying the process!

fletty
    I agree, and from my observations buffing French polish if the buffer went too fast it would be easy to melt it, I know I did it twice. Anyhow, on eBay, 1400rpm were available here in Australia where I got mine.

SB

I've got the lathe mounted 3 in 1 and find it is great. Now that I know Jim has the product I'll get the consumables from him.
    Kryn

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Carroll View Post

will be up your way in a few months will have to stop in and have a look