Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Deck oil - any DIY formulas out there?

Hi guys,

after searching the forum I see that the 46 threads on decking oil all come back to the same sorts of products. Oils, oils, tung, danish, DWD, wattyl etc etc.

Now I have a deck that is in place that was put in by the previous owner and it was never coated or finished with anything by the look of it. It has no roof over it only a shade sail and as a result it looks black, mouldy and very ordinary.

Now here is the deal, this deck is probably getting replaced or added to in the next 2 years so I didn't want to spend big dollars on getting it up to scratch but I don't want it looking cr@p (typical aren't I)

I was going to sand it (we are talking 30m2 here) and try a home made forumla on the deck - something like this I on the net.

"Used on wooden decks for schooners, fishing boats, and porch decks. Makes for an amber finish. To customize the mixture, add more pine tar for a darker color or add less for a lighter color. Allow more drying time for the darker mixture.
    <TABLE width="75%" align=center border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>Turpentine</TD><TD>1 qt</TD></TR><TR><TD>Boiled Linseed Oil</TD><TD>1 qt</TD></TR><TR><TD>Pine Tar</TD><TD>1/2 pt</TD></TR><TR><TD>Japan Drier</TD><TD>1/2 pt</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    * Covers approximately 100 square feet

What are your thoughts, I haven't priced this option yet but I would be interested to see or hear from anyone who has a DIY recipe or has done this before.

Thanks in advance
    Tom

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I use the turps, boiled linseed in 50/50 mix. It remains tacky for a few days until dry so have favoured slopping it on the day before heading off on a Christmas break. That means no dog no kids and plenty of sun. Outlasts anything else I've used and try to coat each year. The deck gets full north sun and when it gets sufficient filth it gets hit with a water blaster to clear the muck.

JohnC

Tradac don't recommend using linseed oil for timber decking since it causes mould and makes it go black and it oxidises and makes it go black - might be what was used on the deck previously!
    Cheers
    Michael

try cleaning the deck with something like Fest Watson's timber cleaner first.

Quote Originally Posted by mic-d
    Tradac don't recommend using linseed oil for timber decking since it causes mould and makes it go black and it oxidises and makes it go black - might be what was used on the deck previously!
    Cheers
    Michael
    hi - who or what is tradac? do you know if there is an alternative to linseed oil then that doesnt go mouldy?

1)google tradac
    2)deck oil

CHeers
    Michael

I use the 50/50 linseed turps for all outdoor furniture. I've heard it can get some mould (not happened yet, but I expect u need rain). I saw an additive in Bunnies specifically to stop this happening, some sort of anti fungal.

Given the outrageous cost of deck oil I'd give it a go
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Use an oxalic acid deck cleaner to clean it well first, as mentioned I think Feast Watson does one, as does Cabots IIRC.

I think Diggers brand also makes it.

Cheers............Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.