Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Concrete piers off by 300mm

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, but enjoyed reading up on all the insight and advice the community provides, so I thought I might have a go and see if the wise members might provide some useful feedback.

Just starting to put up a 20x20x6 shed and found out the concrete piers are off! Instead of putting them on the inside edge, the piers run straight down the middle of where the side walls are going.

The piers themselves were engineered to be massive, 1.5m deep. Any advice or feedback is highly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Isn't that where piers are supposed to be? Your wall should be on the centre of the pier not to one side.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by sirloin View Post
    Any advice or feedback is highly appreciated.
    Make your shed bigger.

...don't want to make it obvious but, was there not a plan to read off

Default Pretty awkward

Hi sirlion,

To state the obvious that's pretty awkward. You have not stated whether both sets of piers are out by 300mm each or whether they are out by 150mm each?

There are several choices as I see it. Either you adjust the position of the walls, have new piers installed on one side, have some sort of offset column base engineered up or have your columns extend through the wall cladding as an architectural "style".

Your choice will be likely be driven by cost and your envisioned useage. You should probably to speak to an engineer about your options. If you have not already done so then you need to halt all construction and or fabrication activities until you have made a decision.

If you elect to widen the shed by putting the walls on the outside of your existing pier positions you would be wise to have an engineer sign off on the loadings etc. Given that your shed is 20 metres wide the loading probably won't change a lot. However if this is a store bought "kit" shed (I suspect it is) then your supplier may have a few things to say about the change in size. The cost of the extra steel won't be a lot. The cost for the supplier to "re-engineer" the product, especially if production is underway, could run to a bit.

An alternative might be to put in new piers down one side of the shed. This will depend on the size of the piers in that there may not be enough clearance at the back of the existing piers to auger a new hole in the right spot. It will also depend on whether you have a slab down and have to cut parts of it out.

Engineering some sort of offset column fixture might be you best option.

If your wall cladding is fixed to "C" or "Z" purlins you maybe able to cut them and terminate them on the side of the columns rather than the outside face. The cladding would then also touch the outside face of your columns. I am dubious about this as I would think the continuous purlins add considerable strength to the structure.

That's my 2c worth, other than to say I do feel for your situation.

Cheers

The Beryl Bloke

Rebate the edge of the footing with concrete saw before erecting the shed.

Toowoomba and Online at www.shedblog.com.au

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, but enjoyed reading up on all the insight and advice the community provides, so I thought I might have a go and see if the wise members might provide some useful feedback.

Just starting to put up a 20x20x6 shed and found out the concrete piers are off! Instead of putting them on the inside edge, the piers run straight down the middle of where the side walls are going.
    It's not uncommon, in fact usually the piers are located inside and outside the walls. I would suggest cutting the pier tops (if appropriate) to allow wall sheets to drop something like the method shown here

Or you can cut the wall sheets to fit the piers.
    Steel Sheds in Australia Helpful information for people looking to buy, build, extend or renovate a steel shed. www.shedblog.com.au

Just starting to put up a 20x20x6 shed and found out the concrete piers are off!
    Just for clarity, I assume that you are referring to metric dimensions and not imperial dimensions. Can you confirm this?

Is the shed in a domestic situation or rural?

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone (starting from post #5, really ).

Giving a little more information, yes, the plan did show the footings to be "inside" the perimeter. How this got missed, was due to a miscommunication between the contractor and the shed supplier. Not a good excuse, but that's what happened.

We method we decided on was to dig out an additional 500 x 500mm pit to pour additional concrete in. The reason to go 500mm deep instead of the full 1.5m that the original piers went in at is because we will be pouring a slab on top that is going to be 150mm thick. I will definitely sleep better once the slab has been poured.

It's a rural shed, mainly to store agricultural equipment and boxed goods.

Any chance of of a couple of pics.?